OUTBREAK UPDATE: Trojan.Peacomm Threat Level is HIGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Spam Surge: Trojan.Peacomm Threat Level is HIGH
A Trojan, which was first spotted January 17, 2007

Symantec Security Response recently raised the risk level of Trojan.Peacomm to a category 3 of a possible 5 threat levels, due to the speed and volume in which it is being aggressively spammed across the Internet.

The Trojan, which was first spotted January 17, 2007 has been raised to a higher category following a sustained increase in new versions of the attack which appeared over the weekend as the malware author responded to improvements in protection made by security companies by adjusting his tactics.

Trojan.Peacomm is one of a number of spamming Trojan horse programs Symantec has seen lately that appear to originate from Russia and are clearly aimed at making money for the author by pumping up penny stocks. The victim is enticed through social engineering techniques to open an attachment, which typically appears to be a video clip on a recent, newsworthy event.

The email itself will have no message body, but will have one of several subject lines such as "A killer at 11, he's free at 21 and kill again!," "Fidel Castro Dead," "Re: Your Text."

For a complete list of subject lines, please click here.

Courtesy: Symantec News letter

So friends, update your antivirus and anti-spyware definitions and do a complete scan now. As said, this is a new Trojan with "HIGH" risk. I did my a complete scan of my system after knowing this. My system is safe. :)

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Indyan said:
If its high risk, every AV will have it in their db. So its actually low risk for users with a AV.

Don't you read the full post? Or atleast the bold ones! The Trojan is new ( spotted January 17, 2007). There are many people who don't have internet connection to update their virus databases. They install the updates from various sources like digit CD's..etc.
Hence I thought this must be posted here atleast for them to be in safer side.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
but i did not install KIS's Firewall.
as KIS's Antispyware is/was not good, i stayed with ZA Pro for those purpose. (firewall+Antispyware):)

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Kiran_tech_mania said:
Don't you read the full post? Or atleast the bold ones! The Trojan is new ( spotted January 17, 2007). There are many people who don't have internet connection to update their virus databases. They install the updates from various sources like digit CD's..etc.
Hence I thought this must be posted here atleast for them to be in safer side.

:D use some common sence man, how will a trozan enter a users computer & send data out, if it is not connected to Internet.

Those without an Internet connection do not need to worry. A trozan doesn't harm your computer like a virus does, it sends data outside of your computer to the cracker which is not possible without internet

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
That's the most bizarre thing I have heard from you guys!
Wht on earth made you to assume that trojan infection is not possible in a internet less PC? Let me clarify your thoughts.

Majority of Trojans are carried by email attachments. Here email is just a medium for carrying the trojan. Later on the infection is from the attachment. It may be video clips, flash animations or documents. The moment you open those files (you need not have a internet connection to open files!), you may see the flash image, but at the same time a trojan is intruding into your PC. And note down the medium may be CD or a floppy diskette, or a pen drive.

More over there are several varieties of Trojan Horses...
- Some give remote access for a hacker
- Some are data destructive
- Some corrupting files in a subtle way
- Some security software disabler
....the list goes on and on.

You just can't quote blindly that "Trojan infection is not possible without net connection".
It is inevitable to mention that there are also people who use the net sparingly. Once these are infected by trojans from video clips, animations, some keylogger trojans may give away your passwords when connected online!

And one more thing to Saurav..
gx_saurav said:
:D use some common sence man, how will a trozan enter a users computer & send data out, if it is not connected to Internet.

Mind your language and develop your etiquettes before telling to others.

Last edited:
OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Indyan said:
Dont get agitated :p .My post was just a statement and I wasnt critisizing you for posting this topic.
But, as you yourself said, the source PC must be one with internet access. Almost all trojans including this one require internet to function.

Trojan.Peacomm is a Trojan horse that drops a driver program file to download additional security threats.

I am not shaken up to your quotes....
What about the case of a PC sparingly connected to internet? I am feeling very weird illustrating such common scenario's here!
You should understand it Indyan.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Updated...Thanks!...
I am using BitDefender Internet Security Suite now.
Guys, do you think its par with the KIS. I was using KIS for a while. Its good too. But I read a review about internet security suites at Toptenreviews.com
where Bitdefender was the winner. Do you think the review is right??
BitDefender's interface is crappy, but doing the job well.:)

anandk

Distinguished Member
^ bitdefender av is great too ! but the suite is resource heavy. used both; stl prefer kiv to bis; between d 2, ie.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Indyan said:
...I had installed it temporarily, as I was having trouble with KIS (which got fixed after formatting my hd).
That test also says the AV of KIS is the best. Bitdefender won because of better firewall. Which is probably true as KAH is quite basic.

Yah, exactly. That was my problem with KIS. When I unistalled it, problems started- BSODs, boot failure, system hang and a lot others. Finall MBR got corrupted and I had to take the pain of transferring around 80 GB of data to another HD, then format and repartition again. :(

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@ Kaspersky website, some tools have been developed for the purpose of REMOVING KIS/KAV from PC. (jus like Norton AV's prob), b'coz the inbuilt Uninstaller has some probs. (i guess)

so next time you guys want to remove KIS/KAV better use that tool.:wink:

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
A trozan is a malicious program which enters a users computer & opens a backdoor for other malwares or viruses, or sends data out. If it is a something which curropts files etc, it's not a trozan, it's a virus insted.

Almost all the email clients block .exe & .com attachments

So far, videos are not infected by trojan or virus.

even if a trojan enters your computer, without net connection, it can do no harm. They do not work on there own, they need as virus to work with, but again, without net connection "trojan" is useless, though the virus will harm the system

Kiran_tech_mania said:
Mind your language and develop your etiquettes before telling to others.

:)) yo, whats with the language, thats normal, just something funny i found in your post, dil par mat le yaar....dimag par le

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
gx_saurav said:
A trozan is a malicious program which enters a users computer & opens a backdoor for other malwares or viruses, or sends data out. If it is a something which curropts files etc, it's not a trozan, it's a virus insted.

Almost all the email clients block .exe & .com attachments

So far, videos are not infected by trojan or virus.

even if a trojan enters your computer, without net connection, it can do no harm. They do not work on there own, they need as virus to work with, but again, without net connection "trojan" is useless, though the virus will harm the system
:)) yo, whats with the language, thats normal, just something funny i found in your post, dil par mat le yaar....dimag par le

Saurav, I know that dude. I was telling the same thing. Assume that a PC is infected with loads of trojans. Till the computer is connected to the internet, they are harmless. I agree to that. But what if in such a situation it is connected to internet. At once all these trojans get access to run their malicious code and infect PC. Agree? However dude, all most all would like to have a PC completely free of any malwares. Right? It's also a feel good factor. I don't know why are you havin problems with my update. If not you, I guess for many it is a useful post.
And its OK saurav, I was also bit rude in my earlier post. Sometimes sentences affect in a wrong way depending upon your mood and situation. Just avoid such words like common sense...etccc. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom