OSes don't boot :: Strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohan

In the zone
I don't know, but this problem is getting strange. I start my PC and select Windows, then it says that 'Windows did not start properly last time ....'. It gives me the choices:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration(Your most recent Settings that work)

Start windows Normally

No matter what I select, or allow it to select by default timeout, the screen goes blank for a second or two and then the PC restarts. This happens in an infinite loop, till I pop in my Windows XP MCE CD(read- genuine) and repair the previous installation. Then it works fine for a day or two, and then the problem occurs again. When Windows doesn't boot properly, even SuSe doesn't boot. It boots and then a black screen is shown which does not change. My config is:

Intel Pentium 4 3.06 GHz HT
1GB (2x512MB) DDR2 RAM
XFX GeForce 6600 256 MB PCI-E card
Optical drive
1mb L2 AT cache

Please help me out, this is killing me...

vandit

In the zone
see if any of the hardware components are loose...tighten them..specially the RAM. see if ur cabinet is well ventilated.....if nothing of this gets u out ...... format ur harddisk...and reinstall.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Seems like a hardware problem surely. Check by removing/replacing components one by one. Like you can check RAM in some other PC or at your friend's place.

OP
rohan

rohan

In the zone
Then I need to call the technician, as I own a branded Compaq machine which is under warranty, and opening the cabinet will cause me to lose that warranty.

Thanks everyone for the help.

uttoransen

Broken In
well, the solution,

you have a bad sector in your harddisk, block it, repair it, and the problem get's sloved, though you can try this, if 98, try to restore the explorer, and in xp you can't do that, try the recovery council,

royal

Padawan
Did you , by any chance , install any software after which this thing started ? There might have been a driver conflict ...:(

I had this problem after I installed Spyware Doctor in Win2003

If so , then boot in safe mode and uninstall that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom