OS clock Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilias

Broken In
I have a win 2000 Prof installed in my machine. It shows me worng time very often. I have checked the CMOS battery its good and BIOS timings are also correct but when the PC boots its shows wrong time. What may be the problem

prathap_lab

Journeyman
hi,
did you installed any new softwares recently. because once i installed IE6 on my P2 system its clock stopped working properly.
so if you have installed any thing new try to uninstall it and see.

thank you.

swatkat

Technomancer
Go to Command Prompt and there type time and press ENTER. Is it showing the correct time?
Also, double click on the Clock in Windows, and see that the Time Zone selcted, India and not any other Country.

OP
I

ilias

Broken In
Time command at the command prompt shows correct time not in windows prof. Time zone is correct

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
You have a relativly new mobo so the possibility of a clock crystal failure / skew is not an option. So what i suggest is that download a utility like chronograph and run it every day say at a certain time and notice the clock error say over three days. note down the lag/lead each day. This may give us a lead as to what is causing it. By the way a variation of +-30s is ok each day.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Computer real-time clocks (RTC) are notoriously inaccurate. By how much is your clock off per day or week on the average ? It may be quite 'normal' for a computer RTC.

If you're using Win XP, you may or may not be aware that it comes with a provision to synchronize your RTC with a very accurate time server over the Internet. This can be set to either automatic or manual operation.

However, the real problem is that the computer clock will start to gain or lose time right after the synchronization is finished. There's really not much that can be done unless something is causing your clock to be much more inaccurate than usual.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I agree to that in my PC i have changed the 32.xxxx crystal with a 3.2Mhz + a divide by 10 counter the clock stability has realy gone up now.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I've been toying with the idea of doing something like that for quite a long time now, but I seldom use the same computer long enough to make it worth the trouble (usually no more than 2 or 3 months). And in any case, it's not a viable solution for the majority of computer owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom