Orkut-Beware of what u post

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
its in the mumbai mirror of today front page ... google and cyber cell of police are in an un-official understanding amongst themselves that orkut will not only ban but also give ip info of hate posters ....

eddie

El mooooo
Orkut's tell-all pact with cops

More on the issue
Think twice before you let loose your thoughts on Orkut. The Google-run community site, which has become a global platform for sharing personal information, ideas and sentiments and already has nearly 6.6 million registered Indian users (of a total of 49 million worldwide), has entered into a pact with the Cyber Crime Cell of Mumbai police saying it will not only block those 'forums' and 'communities' that contain 'defamatory or inflammatory content' but also provide the IP addresses from which such content has been generated.

In one of the first such cases, Mumbai police recently got Orkut to block allegedly defamatory content about Dr B R Ambedkar, Chhatrapati Shivaji and Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray.

The pact, which is actually an "informal arrangement" called the Priority Reporting Tool, comes as a big surprise to internet users as Orkut has successfully blocked attempts by various countries to control content.
Source: The Economic Times

eddie

El mooooo
^ You said it! Soon we will be having mics in our bedrooms through which government can prevent any "defamatory talks" and in a few years we will have microchips in our heads so that we don't even think against them.

That's an extreme reaction.

I think that overall it's a good idea due to cases of identity theft, hate postings, etc. But it should not be used to intimidate people expressing their views against the government or politicians.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
You mean my ip will be same as others in the circle na..

btw when i traced my ip it gives a location somewhere in MadhyaPradesh.

virus_killer

Journeyman
blueshift said:

I guess its showing you the location of your ISP's IP. am not sure .

eddie

El mooooo
blueshift said:

By your IP, the Police will not reach at your door steps immediately but they will definitely reach your ISP. Considering the kind of logs maintained by ISPs, they would be knowing who was using that particular IP at that particular time...and then it won't be very difficult for the Police to "get in touch" with you. So it doesn't matter what the current location of your IP is...what matters is the ISP logs.

yes...BSNL,MTNL and Airtel users have dynamic IP, which keeps changing..but even withur dynamic IP they can reach ur ISP, which definitely keeps track of which IP was assigned to which user at what time...and ultimately they can reach you..but the thing is that these kind of actions simply voilate the freedom of speech and expressions which have been provided to us by the constitution.. and we are free to say if something is wrong with our country, and that should not be considered as illegal...

OP
iMav

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
eddie said:
^ You said it! Soon we will be having mics in our bedrooms through which government can prevent any "defamatory talks" and in a few years we will have microchips in our heads so that we don't even think against them.
enemy of the state :D

VD17

Journeyman
i'm seriously having doubts of our "democratic" status... we are a country where the police secretly spies, where the media is attacked for doing exposes and where we have groups who act like dictators and morally police the public... no wonder there was an international report which called us a "Flawed Democracy"... i remember how many people whined reading it...

&&*Shivangi

Right off the assembly line
eddie said:

Very true XD

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
orkut will not only ban but also give ip info of hate posters ....

I always wonder how by ip..can police track the exact PC from which an email or orkut post is done...plz dont tell about reverse DNS as in many cases it says ip is private ...

can any digitian teach me by giving an exact example :)

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
eddie said:
...Considering the kind of logs maintained by ISPs, they would be knowing who was using that particular IP at that particular time...and then it won't be very difficult for the Police to "get in touch" with you. So it doesn't matter what the current location of your IP is...what matters is the ISP logs.

...but what if that IP is shared by many?? I am sure Airtel does that. What pathik said must be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom