Optical Drive Blast. Pc Not Running . Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journeyman
Last night suddenly an explosion occured inside my pc and it turned off . i had LiteOn DVD writer . i understood that something occured inside it . when I turned it on the PC LEDs turned on but nothing loaded , i opened the optical drive...yes the dvd turned into 1000 s of fragments .

what should i do now? well I want to know do i need to change the optical drive or it can be curable?

and is my HDD, ram also affcted ?if only optical drive went out then others should work?????

can anyone tell me some good places where I can take my PC for a low cost cure? I stay in navi-mumbai area .

reply please........

Gaurav

In the zone
afaik there nothing wrong done to your comp, remove the dvd drive., and it should work fine.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Nothing shud hv happened to the computer's internal parts but the DVD Writer is NOT CURABLE Same thing once happened to me. CD blasted. But nuthin happened to the computer.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Thats scary!!!!!!!!!!
Never heard of any such thing, why would that happen?
Did the liteon did not like ur DVD, was it too hot to handle?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
ranjan2001 said:
Thats scary!!!!!!!!!!
I gave the CDROM to my engineer, he said it is NOT REPAIRABLE

ronweasley

Broken In
yes.....im sorry but in such a situation.....u must replace the drive......but before u do that......

disconnect the drive and try starting the comp...

all the best

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
ranjan2001 said:
Thats scary!!!!!!!!!!
thats really scary:D

how is it possible that a DVD or CD breaks inside the drive???:confused:

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Ya. I too don't understand, but it has happened to one of my friends..
Can anyone throw some light on when and why it happens, so that we can be careful..??

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yaar.. this happened 2 or 3 times for me too.
Three of my CDs has broken with huge sound inside my BenQ CD writer.
U shud immediately pull the plug[ yes dun wait for shut down- pull it]
What I did was to open the cover of the drive and carefully cleaned the particles with a small painting brush. Clean the eye of the drive with a soft earbud dippen in ALCOHOL[ not the 120%]. My drive has survived 3 such blasts and is perfectly workin now.
I dun think its due to low quality disc. The discs that were broken were: a sony, an LG and a local one. But all were very old discs.

Use older discs with care. Dun even think about using a disc which has started cracks from the centre hole to out. The disc will become useless if crach touches recording layer. But its risk to put the CD on drive.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Really scary!!!!!
have any of u tried purposely breaking a CD, it takes a good amount of force to do so, due to its plasticity.

Need to be quite careful using older CDs

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
@s18000rpm, prasad_den, ranjan2001

Actually, these cd blasts often happen with low-quality cds and hot reders/writers. I mean that most cd's blast in the drive either due to low qulaity or if the cd has been inside the drive for a long time spinning, i gets heated and blasts.

That is what happened with my Win 98 CD. But i had a spare copy of it. Now i use xp. So i take out that CD very rarely. When my CD blasted, the heat remained for atleast 5 mins. You can imagine that how hot i must have been. And the cd was of Sony. Usually nothing happenes to the computer when CD blasts. My computer was running when it blasted & even after blasting, my computer was still active!

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
I said " pull out the plug" immediately after the blast to avoid any damage to the eye. The drive wud probably try to read from the disc even if it has blasted, and the eye may get damaged due to some sharp edges. Sometimes the eye wud have gone at the time of blast itself.
But there is more probablity to save ur drive if u pull of the plug and start PC with the drive only after a thorough cleaning.
During the first start after the cleaning, see if there is any noise from drive. Load some irrevelent disc to see if it worx.

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
One of my CDs broke into 2 when I was copying something from it at full speed. I found that it happened when the CD became very very hot like a frying pan inside the drive. Moreover there were center cracks in it that made it break easily..

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
If nyone wants to break CDs in their drive, use s/w Nero Drive speed. In this u can manually make ur drive read a disc at max possible speed. Durin that time the drive is workin fully nd Cds become hot quickly. And also the disc is spinning at max speed. At this time any weakness on disc or some imbalance during rotation cud blast the disc nd of course heat cud also bleast it.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
i also have expreinced it..soem 1-2 years back....when i was wacthing a movie from a CD..it blasted....i was also not able to eject...adn that time i thought i am screwed.....

Then removed the drive...took it to nearby computer repair wala..he opened it, used soem blower to clean it....took abt 10 minutes and gave me back...he said i was lucky that nothing had happened to cd rom....but he said to check if it burns properly there after...lucky me ...the drive served me well 1 year after that incident...and then came DVD writer..:p

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
aravind_n20 said:
I said " pull out the plug" immediately after the blast to avoid any damage to the eye. The drive wud probably try to read from the disc even if it has blasted, and the eye may get damaged due to some sharp edges. Sometimes the eye wud have gone at the time of blast itself.
But there is more probablity to save ur drive if u pull of the plug and start PC with the drive only after a thorough cleaning.
During the first start after the cleaning, see if there is any noise from drive. Load some irrevelent disc to see if it worx.
EYE? WHose eye. Ours or the drive's eye(lens)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom