Operating system : Linux or Windows ?

Which operating system do you like

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

How many want to use Linux ?
Linux has developed so much that now any one can use it like windows. What I felt is, if you want to learn more of internal details then hang on linux. Ofcourse if you want to play games then go for windows or playstation. A bit difficult to install something in linux but once you succeed then you will like it. Programming in linux is really cool. You can do the same stuff as visual c++ in linux. Drivers you may have problem but now most of them are supported.
I think presently most of them have linux and windows installed in their system. One good thing about linux is you can kill a job easily. It is easier to handle system crash.

You have most the popular chat messenger for linux. Documentation like Microsoft office is present in openoffice. You have no problem with mp3s. Browsing is not a problem, but you might get some problem if you trying to get some plugins. If you use apt-get (synaptic) then you know which latest packages are available for download.
What I liked of linux is control over everything.

I was thinking if digit could give lots of stuff for linux which are big in size for download and are worth having it. Like latest realplayer for linux (it should work with www.raaga.com), plugins for mozilla, netscape for linux, yahoo messenger, amsn (similar to MSN messenger), Timidity sound fonts, Java SDK for linux latest ones, drivers for display, soundcard, plugins for XMMS, alsa drivers and many more stuffs.

Just try linux if you have not tried.

svenkat83

Journeyman
According to me,Linux still long way to go .
And when it reaches that stage it will no longer be a Open source.
Already there are problems starting to arise due to SCO claims.
Hope it stays Open source.

sunmysore

Journeyman
I am using Windows 98 SE, :| but I am ready to install Redhat Linux 9 as well because I like it very much. The interface is very clean and I have got fed up of the plain windows. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

billboardhunk

Right off the assembly line
When Linus started the Linux movement... WIndows definitely didnot have an alternative... But now Windows does offer equal and better Satisfaction than your Linux environment... Its finally boils down to how involved you can get with your OS... for the enthusiasts yes Linux is the solution... for the lesser challeged... theire is no answer for Windows...

sAr

Broken In
linux has taken off and will stay here. it's now not limited to geeks only
it's true about being involved with your os but if u really wanna learn the inside stuff, go for linux and stay with the terminal(use command lines not graphical interface)

super_ferrari

Broken In
Windows pref. XP good for home users...Linux for security buffs...i use both...windows installation childs play...Linux is not dat easy...home users stick to windows XP

nirubhai

Broken In
I think, both do their jobs well but on diffrent fronts.

Windows dominates the home user market
Linux dominates the server market

Being free cannot boost Linux. But it may help to prey some home users.
With such wide user base it seems nearly impossible to shift the market from Windows to Linux

Linux is not so stable in GUI. So better to stick to Gates & Windows :wink:

abdulabby

Broken In
I agree that linux has a long way to go especially when taking gaming into consideration.Even when installing progs u have to use commends like make,etc..So for home users , windows rules!!

anoop

Broken In
linux is the best

Well Guys,

I truly agree that Linux got to improve in the filed of gaming(but remember the ancestor Unix and linux werent made for public use...so gaming was not a much issue).But never say that home users stick to windows xp, .....coz we need to promote open source world.Linux provides the security at its best.Is there anyone using a pc who is not worried about security??? whether its connected to a network or not,security is a big issue.

Actually Unix can be called as the ancestor platform.From unix ...Linux emerged.C-language was made in unix platform.Using C-language windows was made.

So we cant forget Linux which offers this much stability and security.Surely linux is the future, so if you are a computer geek i advice you to take linux seriously and feel the power.Before, Linux wasnt this much user friendly, look at the installation steps of Rh 9.0 its getting better and better.Remember jobs are increasing in the field
of linux... so be prepared.

I have only two requests to all the people.

1. Never promote piracy just think what you feel when somebody distribute ur copyrighted music for free....plz

2. There is a usual scenerio that most of the students are entering unix through the back door ie. GUI. please dont study unix like you use windows...its useless....study unix in the text mode right from the scratch..ie from basic shell commands.Then come to Linux ...mind u u will be the God in Linux if you are very good in unix...

Let me know if i made any mistakes here...thank you

nirubhai

Broken In
would u expect a layman, who don't know anything about computers, to learn linux/unix???

do read my earlier post in tha same topic

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
Hmm... well man, i had installed Linux Red Hat 7 once. Had a huge problem with that. It was my own mistake, and i installed Linux over Windows. Since then i have never tried Linux again. Never had the need to do so, so far. But i am really interested in Linux now. The best thing that enthuses me about Linux is its nature of being Open Source.

One more thing, Niru Bhai! U may ignore my posts as long as they have no wise/vital info in them. :wink: Most of the time i post to enliven the discussion :wink:

[deXter]

Journeyman
nirubhai said:
would u expect a layman, who don't know anything about computers, to learn linux/unix???

Well, the layman is a perfect candidate to teach unix. Lemme explain why. It's all in the learning. The layman first has to understand the hardware basics, and the reason for software and the difference, and also the need for an operating system. Its pretty easy to explain all these things to a layman. Once he knows this info, he can get ready to enter the world of computers- through any path he wishes to choose- Windows, DOS, Linux, Unix, etc.

I said its easy because, its like the learning process of a baby. Obviously the baby will master the spoken language, since that was the only language the baby was exposed too. We might think that learning german might be difficult now. But if a baby is taught is taught german right from the start, then the baby will master the german language. Its similar to learning about OSs. People used to the friendly and familar windows environment have difficulty, and fear the *nix environment. The best way to learn another OS is to understand the basics of the OS first- how it works, what the difference, the filesystem, etc. Once a user has mastered the basics, it would be a snap to work in the OS. The best way to learn *nix would be to understand the command line interface first, since thats the basic mode. I've seen many prople eagar to use Linux getting discouraged by looking at totally new terms such as hda, root, shell, tty etc. Thats the reason why they must first learn the basics of a *nix system. Then it'll all work out fine......

TheMask

@ TechEnclave
[deXter said:
]
I said its easy because, its like the learning process of a baby. Obviously the baby will master the spoken language, since that was the only language the baby was exposed too. We might think that learning german might be difficult now. But if a baby is taught is taught german right from the start, then the baby will master the german language.
i wud disagree here :p a baby takes about 2 years to learn a language where as i wud take two months to learn German :p to the same level as the baby has learnt in 2 years.

[deXter said:
]The best way to learn another OS is to understand the basics of the OS first- how it works, what the difference, the filesystem, etc. Once a user has mastered the basics, it would be a snap to work in the OS.

Couldn't agree more. its all in the basics. :wink: Only when u know what 2+2 is will u understand how 1011 + 111 could be 10010 :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom