Opera and "unsupported browser"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaza

Journeyman
hi,

After some experiments with some of the browsers, finally I selected Opera as my favourite browser, which has too many features and benefits than the IE, FF and others.

But my confusion is here.

Why some websites do not support opera?

And I expect a detailed tutorial (or links) to use opera's features as well

Sykora

I see right through you.
You are, the first person I think, who has said that the websites do not support opera, as opposed to the other way around. Opera is a standards compliant browser. Some web developers have assumed that only a couple of browsers will be viewing their particular website, and used techniques available only for that browser, instead of W3C certified xhtml. The only way we can remedy the situation is to appeal to the web developers, or boycott the sites.

Unfortunately, some other sites also sniff Opera, and give Opera a corrupt version of the page, just because it is Opera. If this is the case, what Opera users can do is to change their useragent string. Click on the links below to find out more.

*my.opera.com/community/openweb/info/
*www.opera.com/support/search/supsearch.dml?index=124

fatguysmart

The Blessed one
Sykora said:
You are, the first person I think, who has said that the websites do not support opera, as opposed to the other way around.

Ther are some sites which do not support Opera.They do not let you browse further but show you a message that you shud use another browser!

Pathik

Google Bot
some times changing the user agent wont help.... and the best way to learn it is to use it... :))

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I'm thinking about switching to Opera too ... coz Firefox ALWAYS crashes when I try to open too many pages with Javascript usage ... prolly that's coz of the extensiuons ... but if the extensions are causing problem then firefox is worse than Opera .. in which case I wud definately go for Opera...

vysakh

Padawan
most sites are built on IE/netscape standards. FF and netscape have the same standards. thats why sites support IE and FF but not opera

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
As I explained earlier. the biggest problem is browser sniffing, i.e many websites (specially msn sites), check if the browser is Opera and if it is then they simply send bad code to Opera. Simply changing the user-agent is not enough.

TO completely hide opera do this:
1.right click > site prefs > network tab > mask as internet explorer .
2.right click > site prefs > cookies > delete all cookeis manually
Now reload

If this doesn't works
1.Close all tabs
2.goto tools > perf > advanced > history > clear cache .
3.open the site

If it still doesn't work ( very very less chance)
1.disable javascript
2.repeat the above steps
open the site

After doing this practically ALL sites will work in Opera flawlessly, atleast all that open in firefox . Obviously sites designed to 'work' around Exploder's wouldn't.
I haven't encountered a single site that doesn't work in Opera since I came to know of the above method.

For more info:
*my.opera.com/community/openweb/
*my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=4893

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom