Open Hardware: Revolutionising Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird

Debian Rocks!
The first project I would like to talk about is OpenOEM, which aims to build and sell a line of computers consisting entirely of “Open Hardware” - that is, hardware whose documentation is under an Open Source licence, allowing the public to attempt to build upon its specifications and build their own version of the hardware, if they wish. In their own words:
Mission Statement :To build the best Open Computer that combines power, simplicity and elegance by creating new Open Source Hardware and Software or by leveraging existing Open Source Technologies.
read:
*wolphination.com/linux/2007/02/09/open-hardware-revolutionising-linux/

i understand from these that PC's that contains h/w components whose drivers are open sourced or may be GPLed not necessarily the hardware.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Open source software, hardware, BIOS, articles.
(Did I miss anything?)
That's great. Let's see how each one does with time.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
what the...u mean i can take out a soldering iron & mod my graphics card myself.....leave it, hardware should not be open source

kirtan

Journeyman
Gr8 news buddy.If that's the case then no one can stop LINUX from ruling the computing world.Linux was a kind a crippled os due to it's incompatibilty with some kind of h/w and i feel this project is gonna help linux reach the masses.

mehulved

kirtan said:
Gr8 news buddy.If that's the case then no one can stop LINUX from ruling the computing world.Linux was a kind a crippled os due to it's incompatibilty with some kind of h/w and i feel this project is gonna help linux reach the masses.
This will not only be beneficial to Linux but to all OS'es. Not only the open source ones but also the proprietory ones. When specifications are open, you can always make use of it.

Last edited:

led_shankar

In Shamful Mystery
gx_saurav said:
what the...u mean i can take out a soldering iron & mod my graphics card myself.....leave it, hardware should not be open source
Man, you are really prickly!!

Open hardware would imply -

a) Easier development of drivers
b) Chance for small businesses to produce such devices

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Development needs funds, i can't still get how will they spend so much amt that is required on R&D on new hardware like gfx card

mehulved

desertwind said:
Free as in freedom , and not free ICE CREAM :)
I would prefer free chocolates rather but since RMS has started/popularised this, I'd use beer though I hate alcohol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom