Only for gaming + some noob/technical ques

yabbadaaba

Broken In
1.What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans:Gaming and only gaming,nothing else.it should be able to play all the current games at max possible settings & the future games with some lowered details if nt at max.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:40k(may extend upto 45k if its necessary)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:win 7 & 8 when released

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:I have this HDD-80GB Seagate ST380817AS ATA Device (SATA 2,3gb/s) from my old computer…so kindly let me know if this will work work the rig u suggest.if not,is ther any way to make it work??I don’t to want spend on HDD due its high cost now.i am willing to use 80gb only as it will hv only windows & one game on it at a time..so I think I can manage till prices come down.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:I have LG2060T 20.5inch ,1600x900 native resolution.does it mean that I cant change & play games on 1080p resolution from game settings? Will the games work properly if I change my game settings to 1080p?

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: already told about HDD and monitor.also have mouse,KB,speakers,optical drive.
i have TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA Device (samsung) Optical drive.can it be reused??
I rarely use it.
Regarding UPS,I have APC 500v but with a new Luminous battery as APC one expired. is it ok?
My only needs regarding UPS is it should give me just enough time to quit my game and shutdown.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:as soon as my config gets final.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:delhi from Nehru place,but if I get better deal online for some component then only online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: (1) i know smc,computer empire are reputed but what if I get lesser price of components from not so well known shops(excluding cost2cost)?should I go for them?
(2) i have 32 bit win 7 right now.is it better to go with 64 bit ? any difference that it would make to gaming or anything else?(don’t include win 7 in the budget)

(3)My monitor came with only d-sub wire.can anyonw provide link for dvi-d cable which can be used??

So guys i am in need of your help very much...so kindly guide me..

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
All SATA devices will work. Hard disk, DVD Writer etc. :)

If your monitor is 1600x900, then 1600x900 is the resolution games will run at. Or any lower resolution.

Time to use 64-bit Windows 7 now. Everyone buys 4 GB RAM these days. 32-bit Operating Systems can only address ~3.2 GB RAM. So, everyone uses 64-bit now. All games and software run fine. Nothing to worry.

OP
Y

yabbadaaba

Broken In
@ico thanks i am so relieved that my old hdd n optical drive can be reused..and yes i will be going for 64bit now..
& your suggestion regarding the config..? and since you are also from delhi,are shops other than smc,computer empire reliable?? this is my first build..

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl
AMD Phenom 960T @ 6.5K
ASUS M5A97 @ 6K
GSKILL RipJAWSx 4 GB DDR3 @ 1.5K
Seasonic S12 620W PSU @ 4.5K
CORSAIR CARBIDE 400R @ 4K
Numeric 600va UPS @ 1.5K
Gigabyte HD 7870 2 GB GDDR5 @ 21.1K
TOTAL 45.1K

OP
Y

yabbadaaba

Broken In
^^ wont 7870 be too much as i wil be gaming at 1600X900 only..??and since i wont be overclocking ever(dont know how to + heard its time consuming & risky for first timer),shouldnt intel be preferred?

d3p

PowerHouse
You existing UPS can still able to give atleast 1-2mins of back up with a new Config. I guess 1-2mins are more than sufficient to save the game & shut down the PC.

But your Samsung DVD/CD R/W has IDE & IDE is not supported in the latest gen motherboards. Either you can buy a local Sata to IDE converter [max 300 bucks] & use it or can buy a new DVD/CD R/W for 1000 bucks

Here goes my suggestions on the config.

Component | Make | Price Processor |Intel Core i5 2400 |10500
Motherboard |Intel DH67CL-B3 |5400
RAM |Corsair Value DDR3 1333 4GB x 2 |2000
Optical Drive |LG 24X DVD/CD R/W |1000
Graphic Card |Gigabyte HD 7870|21000 [Futureproof for gaming, minimum 2-3yrs]
PSU |Seasonic S12 II 620|4600
Case |CM Elite 311|1800
| Total |46300

Last edited:
OP
Y

yabbadaaba

Broken In
^^ i am confused..i think ico said otherwise..are you sure that i would need sata to IDE converter? if yes,can you provide any link from where i can buy that..
and what about my old HDD? it isnt IDE?

d3p

PowerHouse
This is the product manual of your HDD. Its Serial ATA.

Seagate ST380817AS ATA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here goes your Optical Drives. Its IDE or Parallel ATA.

Samsung SH-S202J

I guess ICO has only seen the HDD query.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is how your motherboard gonna look like in case of my config. " MSI H67MA-E35 "

*www.msi.com/pic/product/five_pictures1_2269_20110125115919.jpg

OP
Y

yabbadaaba

Broken In
some of those technical things went way over my head .. :lol:
so to put it simply i will be needing converter for my dvd writer..hdd will just work fine with new gen motherboards.
Is the msi MB you suggested better or on par with Intel DH67CL-B3? both have memory frequency upto 1333mhz..so it will downgrade the 1600mhz ones you suggested..

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
For Motherboard, get the IIntel DH67CL-B3 over the MSI one.

Regarding SATA to PATA converter, in most cases the converter doesn't work and buying it might not solve your problem. Better sell of the old ODD and get a new SATA DVD Writer @ 1K

d3p

PowerHouse
some of those technical things went way over my head .. :lol:
so to put it simply i will be needing converter for my dvd writer..hdd will just work fine with new gen motherboards.
Is the msi MB you suggested better or on par with Intel DH67CL-B3? both have memory frequency upto 1333mhz..so it will downgrade the 1600mhz ones you suggested..

Ok, refer my previous post for the updated Config.

OP
Y

yabbadaaba

Broken In
ok thanks,regarding the cabinet,does cm elite 311 has good airflow..? in delhi,its very hot and in my room there is no AC.. my old graphic card had blown up (the metal cylinders)..dont know why,may be overheating or voltage fluctuation..

d3p

PowerHouse
First of all, the Card suggested here is a good Card & keep everything under limits.

Secondly, you are not going to overclock.

Thirdly, you can install another exhaust fan on the side panel to keep pushing or pulling hot air, if you feel required.

*www.coolermaster.in/upload/product/6700/featured/top4.jpg?954396879

I guess Elite 311 will keep everything fine.

OP
Y

yabbadaaba

Broken In
this gigabyte is factory oc.its good but what about msi or sapphire ones? arent they available yet?
and does ggigabyte 7870 has same fan noise problems as its 7850?? anybody here have hd7870?
also i want to buy a dvi-d cable for monitor..i only got d-sub one..any link which i should buy? i think i will be needing a single link cable..but not sure..

guys i am thinking,amd 960t + hd 7850 + nzxt source 210 elite + MB...wouldnt this be more balanced..?
please clear my doubts regarding hd7870 being too much for 1600x900..i think hd7850 would be able to handle all current and future games in next 2-3 yrs at this resolution..or not?

for gaming only,i5 2400>amd 960t?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Ya, HD 7850 can easily take care of gaming @ 1600X900 resolution for next couple of years and you can go with it.

For Processor, even a i3 2100 can beat the 960T in gaming. So better stick with HD 7850 + i5 2400 combination, If your budget permits. No need to go for 960T.

The Gigabyte Overclocked models do have some noise as per the different user reviews but that is within the accepted range. For HD 7870, MSI Twin Frozr and Sapphire models are available but they're priced around 1K higher than the Gigabyte model.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - if you are going for HD7850 look for HD7850 Power Ed. - with Twin Frozr IV cooler the card is really one of the best among the all the HD7850s available on the market.

d3p

PowerHouse
Is there any other alternative for intel MB which supports 1600mhz RAM?

When you're not overclocking then 1600MHz or 1333MHz won't be that different in terms of performance. Then why spending more on 1600MHz & another motherboards which supports it.

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
^^ i am confused..i think ico said otherwise..are you sure that i would need sata to IDE converter? if yes,can you provide any link from where i can buy that..
and what about my old HDD? it isnt IDE?
well, I said if your DVD Writer is SATA - it will work. If it isn't, it will not.

Just open up your cabinet and tell us whether your DVD Writer is IDE or SATA.

Top Bottom