one question for digital camera owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

hansraj

In the zone
Guys i have a querry regarding digital photography... u know soon iam

going on vacation so i thought i will brush up my knowledge on

photography and graduate from a amatuer to professional...
Fashion photographers watch out for me...

ok getting serious... i want to know that how do we measure the size of

the image sensor when the standard size is given(as given on the left

hand size,below),i tried all kind of mathematics but failed to reach any

conclusion. The table below is obtained from one of the websites but

how will i calculate the size of sensor whose size is say 1/2.5 in. or

1/2 in.

Image Sensor Size (approx.)

full frame 24 x 36 mm
half frame 24 x 15 mm
2/3 in. 8.8 x 6.6 mm
1/1.8 in. 7.2 x 5.3 mm
1/2.7 in. 5.3 x 4.0 mm

also is there any method by which i can find out the size of the image

sensor using the following information available to me,

focal length
aperture
exposure time
iso setting

actually all the above can be obtained by clicking the properties of

any image which is taken by a digital camera.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
What I feel is that the question is not clear.

But if you mean holiday photographs, a digicam with 4 or 5 Megapixels and 3x optical zoom should suffice. More megapixels generally mean more quality and scope for enlargement, though it is not the sole criterion.

V.Prem Kumar

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
@v prem kumar

u r absolutely right that "More megapixels generally mean more quality and scope for enlargement, though it is not the sole criterion. "

The criteria is the image sensor size... just to give u a clue, with all the conditions remaining same a photograph taken on a 1/2.7" ccd and a full frame ccd will have tremendous difference in quality despite being same pixel size.

That is the reason why i am running behind the size of the ccd.
Actually i want to know the size of the ccd of any camera by checking the properties of the photograph taken by it, which i have written above.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
hansraj said:
@v prem kumar

u r absolutely right that "More megapixels generally mean more quality and scope for enlargement, though it is not the sole criterion. "

The criteria is the image sensor size... just to give u a clue, with all the conditions remaining same a photograph taken on a 1/2.7" ccd and a full frame ccd will have tremendous difference in quality despite being same pixel size.

That is the reason why i am running behind the size of the ccd.
Actually i want to know the size of the ccd of any camera by checking the properties of the photograph taken by it, which i have written above.

You are correct regarding the size of the ccd but as far as I know, full frame ccds are available only in costly digital SLRs.
Another factor in quality is the image processor.

V.Prem Kumar

OP
hansraj

hansraj

In the zone
ok guys i got the answer to my question.....
if someone is interested its

*www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

janitha

Wise Old Owl
hansraj said:
ok guys i got the answer to my question.....
if someone is interested its

*www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/sensor_sizes_01.htm

From the site referred to by you, you can see that the full frame (24x36 mm) sensor is there in the costliest Canon Digital SLR (which incidentally has a 16 Mega pixel sensor) as mentioned in my earlier post.

V.Prem Kumar

yash

I draw every day
i`m not at all into photography but i`m intrested in knowing what is the meaning of "24 x 36 mm" and such dimensions that are given above...the size of the ccd?

janitha

Wise Old Owl
yash said:
i`m not at all into photography but i`m intrested in knowing what is the meaning of "24 x 36 mm" and such dimensions that are given above...the size of the ccd?

It is the size of a single snap in the 35mm film. Full frame CCDs in some high end digital cameras use use the same size for the CCDs for better quality than lower sized CCDs. It also ensures compatibility with lenses of the older film cameras most of the time. I short, you can use a lens from your older Film SLR system with your new DSLR without any change in focal length.

V.Prem Kumar

yash

I draw every day
okay thanks, I also looked on the dpreview link he gave and I totally get it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom