One Final Competition: THE BEST O.S.

Which is the best O.S.?

• GNU/Linux (all kernels, LIVE CDs, etc..)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FreeBSD (and other UNIX platforms)

• MAC OS

• Sun Solaris

• Others..

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Come on DIGIT members.. Its time to find out who deserves the crown for the BEST O.S.
I have to the best of my knowledge provided all the O.S.s.. There are some less popular ones and if you use them, click on OTHERS.
I read somewhere in the DIGIT forums that FreeBSD is a kind of UNIX. If I am wrong, plz don't mind..
I don't know if this poll has happened on this FORUM before but I wish almost every DIGIT member should vote because we all need an O.S. to post on the DIGIT forum, Don't we ? (Browsers are secondary)

chinmay

Journeyman
Well man, I'll definitely go for xp in terms of GUI, availability of Third Party applications and ease of use. I have used Linux(Mandrake, Suse and Lindows) and Mac Os also. But what I dislike is that popularity has become Windows achille's heels. It being more vulnerable to attacks and popular has become a little dangerous and one should prefer Linux if he/she has some real confidential data to work upon. Windows can be easily hacked even after fully updated and protected by anti-viruses and firewalls.

ujjwal

Padawan
See everyone will vote for whatever they use, one can predict the results ...

I don't really know how many here will have used enough OS's to make a proper judgement. I so far have only used Windows 9x/NT, Linux (many different distro's), Solaris and other forms of unix. Of them I would choose linux. However I plan to try NetBSD sometime, maybe it might change my opinion.

Linux and freebsd are both free implementations of unix, though freebsd is probably closer to unix than linux.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Comparing OSes just like that isn't probably a good idea, as each have their pros and cons and are useful in different circumstances. For example, a power graphics user would swear by the Apple and the Mac OS, while a hardcore gamer would swear by Windows XP while the developer and the power users would swear by any of the *nix distros. I have personally tried my hands at all OSes so far including BeOS, and in my personal opinion, when it comes to Windows, I find XP Professional to the best in its category. As for Linux, so far I am terribly impressed by Ubuntu, although Debian still holds a really dear spot in my heart. I haven't much of an experience on Solaris, but I don't see it on a desktop and neither do I see the JDS on a desktop, at least not mainstream except maybe in some select thin clients. Plus, like ujjwal said, everyone would vote for the one they use, and Windows would obviously top that poll just because of the sheer number of people here using the OS, but people like me that have used a couple of them, and is in silent love with a Mac, wouldn't even vote, because it just wouldn't be fair.

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Windows roks!!! I like windows best. Then comes Live cds. Well it all depends on wat u want to use ur computer for

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hmm..

Seems ppl here are going in a Viscious circle, and finally all(that includes me :( ) seem to go back to the basics :p

Just joking :)

Me a devout Linux fan though I shuffle between Windows and my KUbuntu daily...

The Cheers to KUbuntu!!!

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
you know what i voted for :p

Frankly, leaving out games and looking at the performance of the operating systems, Mac OS X shines out. Firstly its PDF-style GUI is a big big hit... great graphics at minimal resource utilization.

Secondly, lets consider a situation where a system has 20mb ram free.... a windows machine will considerably slow down.. whereas mac remains un-affected... u can double check this with GNurag.. he uses a powerbook...

It is a fact that Macintosh is considerably less vulnerable than Windows due to its UNIX background...

Frankly, i have never seen a Mac user format his hard disk or re-install the same OS again....

Another point in the favor of Mac is its backward compatibility...

Mac OS 10.4 "tiger" is widely acclaimed to be more advanced than longhorn.. but it can run on a g3 with 128 mb ram...

Can Longhorn or its beta versions boast of the same thing or for that matter can any microsoft OS claim that?

The only thing that a mac loses out on is games... 99% of the games are written for windows and are poorly ported to MAc or Linux... But. its not the fault of the company making the OS.. its the fault of the game developer...

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@Delpiero: Maybe Linux is not user-friendly, but thats a thing that's fast changing. You're still referring to the ye olde Linux days, but the distros available these days can easily give Windows a run for its money. And a Mac is not user friendly? Whoa! That's a sin of the highest order! :D Windows XP and Longhorn cannot dream of ever being as good or as user friendly as a Mac OS. If you use one, you will be looking at a Windows PC in disgust after that. That is one OS that's really an extension of the user. If not for the games, I would be using a Mac exclusively!

goobimama

 Macboy
I second that what enoomai has just stated. Macs are the best. Windows can only win because it has a large amount of software and GAMES. But for the Mac, you get what you want. There is no shortage of applications. Its only that with windows you get ten different applications where there is one application for the Mac; and that application does the job better than any windows application. me confused.

G

gxsaurav

Hhmm, back in the days of Windows 2000, Mac were better then Windows in graphics work, but with the release of XP SP1, things have changed, a graphics power user can swear buy a XP System, more software support, better task based approch

Mac is app based, start itunes for music playback yourself etc, besides one of the most important thing, Windows got a lot of "Wizards" to help U be it printing or sharing on network, something where Linux sux

Games prefer windows, because they are not limited to a particular plateform (PowerPC) in Windows,

Charley

Just Do It
Windows is easy to use but the problem is that it frequently meets with problems such as instability, files missing, etc. I've been facing these problems, but that doesnt mean its bad.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Im very happy with my Mandrake 10.1 box. Although most of my games does require Windows XP.

Definitely I would vote for either Linux or Mac but due to the fact that I dont own a Mac yet Im gonna stick with Linux....

ujjwal

Padawan
Games prefer windows, because they are not limited to a particular plateform (PowerPC) in Windows

Huh? How on earth is windows not limited to a particular platform? :?

As far as I know, windows runs only on the i386 platform, and only recently the x64 platform.

Games prefer windows cause the game companies do (read - to lazy to think about portability)

G

gxsaurav

Correction plz

Windows runs on X86 not i386, & now X64, but there are many componies making X86 CPU, many componies making motherboards, which means a better market & options to select from, DDR or DDR2, ATI or NVIDIA, MSI or Asus, intel or AMD, I don't think this is possible in Mac

Also Apple makes money mainly due to Hardware, if they release Mac OS X for X86 they will be bankrupt in no time cos a Cheap Rs 20k, PC will run it better & faster then a Mac mini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom