Old PC still going strong

Status
Not open for further replies.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
does anyone here have an pc with configuration that most would say is outdated , but it still runs well and does all ur work for u . whats ur old configuration and what kinda software do u use it for ?

theraven

Technomancer
most of us upgrade pcs and get rid of the old
but u can use it as a file server
u can use linux on it ...
do basic tasks ..
there was an article in digit ..
lemme see if i can dig it up ...

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
Pentium III (~1 GHz) on Intel 810e with 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD.
I use it for everything (it's my only comp).

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Kl@w-24 said:
Pentium III (~1 GHz) on Intel 810e with 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD.
I use it for everything (it's my only comp).

Beat ya! My folks use my first comp which I got in 1997. Its an AMD K6 400 mhz with 96 MB RAM and a 4GB HDD with a Riva TNT 8MB card on a tomato mobo. Now that ancient wouldnt u say :lol:

Kl@w-24

Slideshow Bob
icecoolz said:
Beat ya! My folks use my first comp which I got in 1997. Its an AMD K6 400 mhz with 96 MB RAM and a 4GB HDD with a Riva TNT 8MB card on a tomato mobo. Now that ancient wouldnt u say
Whoa... what do they use it for? It certainly won't run today's applications.

amitsaudy

Ambassador of Buzz
CEleron 333.
64 MB PC66 Sdram.
Intel 4490LX chipset.
Trident 4 mb Agp.
14" Philips monitor.

Only for mp3 s n email n programming in c,cpp etc

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Kl@w-24 said:
icecoolz said:
Beat ya! My folks use my first comp which I got in 1997. Its an AMD K6 400 mhz with 96 MB RAM and a 4GB HDD with a Riva TNT 8MB card on a tomato mobo. Now that ancient wouldnt u say
Whoa... what do they use it for? It certainly won't run today's applications.

My folks use it. email,internet, chat, movies, general entertainment purposes. It had a DVD drive too (yes folks I got this way back in 1997!!!) but that failed so it has a CD ROM now. Runs office 2000 and used to run Quake 3 pretty good too !!!! My folks are so happy with it no matter how much I plead they wont let me change it for them. Their neighbours who got branded PC's doesnt run as well as this one does....and this I have seen for myself

G

gxsaurav

Hah, I don't have a PC (personal computer) but I have a PA(Personal Abacus) which is 2000 years old, beat that

crackshot

Broken In
I hav 1 HP Pavilion 8612 (office PC) since 1999 running processor at 600Mhz and overclocked to 799Mhz through a software CPUFSB.
it has 40GB hdd,a 48x cdrom, 256mb PC100 Sdram, on an ASUS(bios says HP) MEW-AM(i810e). nice pc runs windows xp and can run all office apps nicely

Sourabh

Laptoping
my config

i have 4pcs but only three work now
i work on a p4 3ghz on 865mobo 512 mb ram@400mhz ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb with pinnacle play tv stereo and other peripherals

lemme get back to topic
i have a p2 celeron 400mhz with 98 mbram@66 mhz via motherboard nvidia riva tnt 32mb agp card with some odd creative model sound card and a cd writer
i use this pc for office applications, songs, moveis but most esp it comes in handy when there no electricity and have to work on pc for long hrs
sometimes there r power cuts for 6 hrs
i have 2 batteries for my pc with a ups but my p4 with philips t5 17inch dynaflat monitor doesnt last more than 3 hrs
whereas the p2 lasts for more than 6 hrs
so i feel very attached to this system
i guess brot it abt 7 yrs back and its working fine as yet just a odd battery glitch and once a smps fan prob
no else prob it i feel it wod last even when my p4 gets screwed up

supersaiyan

In the zone
i have a compaq presario 5000. the specs are p3 667 mhz, intel 810e mobo, 192 mb ram, win 98, samsung dvd rom(got the previous one which i got changed), i play age of mythology on that and soldier of fortune2 double helix. its my only comp.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
amitsaudy said:
CEleron 333.
64 MB PC66 Sdram.
Intel 4490LX chipset.
Trident 4 mb Agp.
14" Philips monitor.

Only for mp3 s n email n programming in c,cpp etc
amost had the same pc
but 128 mb ram
15"
32 mb tnt 2

believe it or not i used to play games on this machine!!!
I have played maxpayne @ 800*600 :D

..:: Peace ::..
Jeba

Delpiero

Journeyman
What bout this?

My friend has P3 550 mhz,128 MB SD RAM, Riva Tnt2 M64, Tomato 440bx mobo. And plays Max payne 2 though the settings are set to low, GTA Vice city and IGI 2. All of these games runs smoothly.

ujjwal

Padawan
My only PC is a Celeron 266 (not overclocked currently), 64 MB RAM, and in Intel i740 8MB AGP card. Itr still runs strong. I got a slick installation of Windows 98SE with unofficial service pack 1.6 installed. I don't have MS Office ... and use wordpad for all word editing. I have a shareware called GS Calc for spreadsheets ... and using a trial version of flash 5 for presentations. Flashget is my download manager ... I have firefox for browsing, but these days i stick to IE (except for warez & pr0n sites ;) ) I use mIRC for IRC chatting/file sharing, and Trillian to access Y!/MSN networks. A lot of system software I use ... Sandra 2004 for diagnosis. For tweaking ... cacheman & RAMDef get me by ... I manually try to do the rest. I play a lot of games too ... FIFA 2002, Quake 3, UT, GTA2 run even without the OC. My graphics card seems to be optimal at 800x600.
Enough of windows ... I currently run redhat 7.0 :( looking for archlinux or something better ... while I dont run XWindows now, I plan to do so with a "better" distro using a GUI like openbox ...
Currently I am happy enough and dont feel the need of a new pc much ... give me a 128MB RAM stick, Archlinux cds, Grim Fandango, Jedi Knight 1, and a Voodoo2 PCI to run in tandem with my i740, and i'll be ecstatic ;)

saROMan

QA Juggler
Me......PIII 533EB , original 64MB upgr to 256MB , 14" Monitor , Onbord LAN,Modem,Sound,Graphics ,Chiconi Keybd ,15 GB Fujitsu , SIS mobo ,
hav played Max payne, Dave mirra , Serious Sam etc....my whole n sole.....even am replying fm tat 1 only.... :wink:

Geforce

Journeyman
I have a 1998 PII-350Mhz 64Mb RAM, TNT2 M64 32MB, 40 GB HDD. Installed WinMe & WinXP. It is connected in LAN , use it for backups and some network gaming CS, Quake III, Midtown Madness, Unreal Tournament, etc.

Since I have got both the computers on the same table, I watch divx movies on the old PC while working or gaming on the other one.

yash

I draw every day
my pc compaq presario 5000 series with pentium 4 1.5ghz,128 upgraded to 256 mb sdram 133mhz, agp4x slot with nvidia vanta upgraded to geforce fx 6600 256mb and a 40gb hdd from seagate(i dunno the rpm) which i bought in 2002 jan will turn 4 years old this sankrant.I could have told u about a lot of old configs if my dad hadnt recently upgraded his decade old office pcs...heh i used to "play" with them since i was in 2nd grade....

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i, my self dont own then... imfact there is a ban on me that i never go in 10m of those 2 PC... my dad has 2 486 on his office accounce section... problly that r the oldest that i have ncounterd... ohh!! & yes they have 1 dotmatrix type printer each... those printers r also very old...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom