1. Hi Guest
    We are running a survey about laptop service in India, and we'd love your inputs. Please help us improve the quality of laptop servicing, and if you've had any bad experiences, now is the time to be heard.
    Take the survey

Old PC still going strong

Discussion in 'QnA (read only)' started by klinux, Sep 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klinux

klinux New Member

does anyone here have an pc with configuration that most would say is outdated , but it still runs well and does all ur work for u . whats ur old configuration and what kinda software do u use it for ?

2. theraven

theraven Active Member

most of us upgrade pcs and get rid of the old
    but u can use it as a file server
    u can use linux on it ...
    do basic tasks ..
    there was an article in digit ..
    lemme see if i can dig it up ...

3. Kl@w-24

Kl@w-24 Slideshow Bob

Pentium III (~1 GHz) on Intel 810e with 128 MB RAM, 20 GB HDD.
    I use it for everything (it's my only comp).

4. icecoolz

icecoolz Active Member

Beat ya! My folks use my first comp which I got in 1997. Its an AMD K6 400 mhz with 96 MB RAM and a 4GB HDD with a Riva TNT 8MB card on a tomato mobo. Now that ancient wouldnt u say :lol:

5. Kl@w-24

Kl@w-24 Slideshow Bob

Whoa... what do they use it for? It certainly won't run today's applications.

6. amitsaudy

amitsaudy New Member

CEleron 333.
    64 MB PC66 Sdram.
    Intel 4490LX chipset.
    Trident 4 mb Agp.
    14" Philips monitor.

Only for mp3 s n email n programming in c,cpp etc

7. icecoolz

icecoolz Active Member

My folks use it. email,internet, chat, movies, general entertainment purposes. It had a DVD drive too (yes folks I got this way back in 1997!!!) but that failed so it has a CD ROM now. Runs office 2000 and used to run Quake 3 pretty good too !!!! My folks are so happy with it no matter how much I plead they wont let me change it for them. Their neighbours who got branded PC's doesnt run as well as this one does....and this I have seen for myself

8. gxsaurav

gxsaurav Guest

Hah, I don't have a PC (personal computer) but I have a PA(Personal Abacus) which is 2000 years old, beat that

9. crackshot

crackshot New Member

I hav 1 HP Pavilion 8612 (office PC) since 1999 running processor at 600Mhz and overclocked to 799Mhz through a software CPUFSB.
    it has 40GB hdd,a 48x cdrom, 256mb PC100 Sdram, on an ASUS(bios says HP) MEW-AM(i810e). nice pc runs windows xp and can run all office apps nicely

10. Sourabh

Sourabh Laptoping

my config

i have 4pcs but only three work now
    i work on a p4 3ghz on 865mobo 512 mb ram@400mhz ati radeon 9800 pro 128 mb with pinnacle play tv stereo and other peripherals

lemme get back to topic
    i have a p2 celeron 400mhz with 98 mbram@66 mhz via motherboard nvidia riva tnt 32mb agp card with some odd creative model sound card and a cd writer
    i use this pc for office applications, songs, moveis but most esp it comes in handy when there no electricity and have to work on pc for long hrs
    sometimes there r power cuts for 6 hrs
    i have 2 batteries for my pc with a ups but my p4 with philips t5 17inch dynaflat monitor doesnt last more than 3 hrs
    whereas the p2 lasts for more than 6 hrs
    so i feel very attached to this system
    i guess brot it abt 7 yrs back and its working fine as yet just a odd battery glitch and once a smps fan prob
    no else prob it i feel it wod last even when my p4 gets screwed up

11. supersaiyan

supersaiyan New Member

i have a compaq presario 5000. the specs are p3 667 mhz, intel 810e mobo, 192 mb ram, win 98, samsung dvd rom(got the previous one which i got changed), i play age of mythology on that and soldier of fortune2 double helix. its my only comp.

12. pradeep_chauhan

pradeep_chauhan New Member

we have a pentium 60 16mb ram running open bsd acting as a firewall

13. cooljeba

cooljeba The Photoshop Guy

amost had the same pc
    but 128 mb ram
    15"
    32 mb tnt 2

believe it or not i used to play games on this machine!!!
    I have played maxpayne @ 800*600 :D

..:: Peace ::..
    Jeba

14. Prashray

Prashray New Member

I upgraded my PC last year.

15. Delpiero

Delpiero New Member

What bout this?

My friend has P3 550 mhz,128 MB SD RAM, Riva Tnt2 M64, Tomato 440bx mobo. And plays Max payne 2 though the settings are set to low, GTA Vice city and IGI 2. All of these games runs smoothly.

16. ujjwal

ujjwal New Member

My only PC is a Celeron 266 (not overclocked currently), 64 MB RAM, and in Intel i740 8MB AGP card. Itr still runs strong. I got a slick installation of Windows 98SE with unofficial service pack 1.6 installed. I don't have MS Office ... and use wordpad for all word editing. I have a shareware called GS Calc for spreadsheets ... and using a trial version of flash 5 for presentations. Flashget is my download manager ... I have firefox for browsing, but these days i stick to IE (except for warez & pr0n sites ;) ) I use mIRC for IRC chatting/file sharing, and Trillian to access Y!/MSN networks. A lot of system software I use ... Sandra 2004 for diagnosis. For tweaking ... cacheman & RAMDef get me by ... I manually try to do the rest. I play a lot of games too ... FIFA 2002, Quake 3, UT, GTA2 run even without the OC. My graphics card seems to be optimal at 800x600.
    Enough of windows ... I currently run redhat 7.0 :( looking for archlinux or something better ... while I dont run XWindows now, I plan to do so with a "better" distro using a GUI like openbox ...
    Currently I am happy enough and dont feel the need of a new pc much ... give me a 128MB RAM stick, Archlinux cds, Grim Fandango, Jedi Knight 1, and a Voodoo2 PCI to run in tandem with my i740, and i'll be ecstatic ;)

17. saROMan

saROMan QA Juggler

Me......PIII 533EB , original 64MB upgr to 256MB , 14" Monitor , Onbord LAN,Modem,Sound,Graphics ,Chiconi Keybd ,15 GB Fujitsu , SIS mobo ,
    hav played Max payne, Dave mirra , Serious Sam etc....my whole n sole.....even am replying fm tat 1 only.... :wink:

18. Geforce

Geforce New Member

I have a 1998 PII-350Mhz 64Mb RAM, TNT2 M64 32MB, 40 GB HDD. Installed WinMe & WinXP. It is connected in LAN , use it for backups and some network gaming CS, Quake III, Midtown Madness, Unreal Tournament, etc.

Since I have got both the computers on the same table, I watch divx movies on the old PC while working or gaming on the other one.

19. yash

yash I draw every day

my pc compaq presario 5000 series with pentium 4 1.5ghz,128 upgraded to 256 mb sdram 133mhz, agp4x slot with nvidia vanta upgraded to geforce fx 6600 256mb and a 40gb hdd from seagate(i dunno the rpm) which i bought in 2002 jan will turn 4 years old this sankrant.I could have told u about a lot of old configs if my dad hadnt recently upgraded his decade old office pcs...heh i used to "play" with them since i was in 2nd grade....

20. Choto Cheeta

Choto Cheeta Rebooting

i, my self dont own then... imfact there is a ban on me that i never go in 10m of those 2 PC... my dad has 2 486 on his office accounce section... problly that r the oldest that i have ncounterd... ohh!! & yes they have 1 dotmatrix type printer each... those printers r also very old...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.