old pc blues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

drcaesar

Broken In
hi evrybody

decided to fire up an old pc lying around to use as a music server, it wouldnt boot, no display, no beeps..after much head scratching replaced the bios/motherboard battery..voila!! beeps!! still no display but..the beep pattern i get is beep,beep,pause,beep..its AMIBIOS n my configuration is PIII(Dun remember the clock speed), ASUS Mobo, 128 MB SD RAM, n 10 GB harddisk..ny suggestions as to what could be wrong? may be the RAM module is fried? how do i confirm it short of buying a new module..or ny other suspects?

tried searching fr AMIBIOS beep patterns online, but none list the beep pattern im getting(with a pause between 2nd n 3rd beeps) or is it to considered as 3 beeps only regardless of the pause..

nyother suggestions as to how best to put it to use, considering i do get it working ;)
..n i dun fancy spending too much cash on it..is it possible?

thanx for ny n all ideas n suggestions..all are welcome

NucleusKore

TheSaint
The only way I know is to take it to the store selling the module, request the vendor to put in the module and test your pc - won't cost you anything more than time or transportation.

sashijoseph

In the zone
Many a time it's only an improperly seated ram which causes all the pain.Before buying a new stick do remove the ram,dust it and put it back in the same\different slot.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I have observed what @sashijoseph mentioned with my old Celeron 400 PC. Sometimes it's just a loose contact of RAM or dust accumlation that prevents RAM from being detected.

OP
D

drcaesar

Broken In
did remove it, clean it n the slot n tried it in both the slots too..

thanx everybody..i guess a trip to the vendor is required..will update after it..till then ny suggestions as to wht effective use i can put this old pc to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom