Odd problems with regard to Win XP.. explorer issues..!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad_den

Padawan
I have been having some weird problems with my Win XP SP2 since yesterday. Yesterday, when I tried to open gpedit or msconfig, I got some script error, asking me if I wanted to debug. Irrespective of the choice I click it persisted until I end the mmc.exe process from task manager.

Today, when I try to open gpedit, it gives no error messages. But I am able to see nothing in the extended page format. However, the standard page format appears correctly. The following screenshots will make things clear for you..!

*img209.imageshack.us/img209/621/clipboard01sy5.th.jpg

*img209.imageshack.us/img209/2636/clipboard02om9.th.jpg

And another problem I am facing today is that IE7 does not open at all. When I start IE7, a window opens and then closes immediately by itself..
P.S: My system is free of viruses and spywares and adwares..!

Finding more problems:

Drag and drop is not working..
Also I am able to copy or cut files, but when I right-click at some other location to paste them, the paste option is not highlighted.. Ctrl C and CTrl V too do not work... :( Someone help..!

Last edited:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
P.S: My system is free of viruses and spywares and adwares..!

are you really sure? do a hijackthis log and post it here. google for ad-aware and spybot search and destroy.

if i were you, i would reinstall windows. first back up the settings, and then just 30 mins for setup. do it while you are watching tv or something...

OP
prasad_den

prasad_den

Padawan
^^ Hijackthis analysis turns nil.. Nothing even remotely suspicious..!
and windows reinstallation is out of the question.. at least for now..!

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
well, if you cant do a fresh install, atleast install it on top of existing one... that may help. you dont have to reinstall anything.

try "sfc /scannow"

or get rootkitrevealer from sysinternals. try checking with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom