Odd bus speeds on Athlon64 3000+

Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
*img167.imageshack.us/img167/5093/cpugd8.jpg
I can't seem to understand why the bus speed is 199 MHz rather than 200 MHz. I haven't changed anything from the BIOS and my mobo dosen't even support OCing. See the config in the siggy.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Was this from the time of purchase or has it happened out of the blue?

Is the PC performing as fast as it should?

Check these things with some other tool or software as well.

If 'Yes' to these 2 questions:

Enter bios and reset the settings, this should reset the voltage to auto and take up around 1.4V and it would change the multiplier to 9x. Other things are fine anyway.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
U have underclocked your system. The cpu is running in .99 Ghz instead of 1.8 Ghz. U r getting only the perfomance of a sempron 2600+ by now.
Do as given below.
Get into ur bios.
Navigate to CPU multiplier and set it to 9x and cpu bus speed to 200Mhz. So u get the original speed of a 3000+, ie 1.8Ghz. (200x9).
Anything higher than that ic ocing, like 10x multiplier and 200 bus, so effective 200x10=2.0Ghz. Or multiplier set to 9x and bus to 225, so effective 2.05 Ghz. Like that.

U SHOULD AT LEAST SET THE ORIGINAL SPEED OF CPU, ie MAKE IT TO 1.8Ghz.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
aravind_n20 said:
U have underclocked your system. The cpu is running in .99 Ghz instead of 1.8 Ghz. U r getting only the perfomance of a sempron 2600+ by now.
Do as given below.
Get into ur bios.
Navigate to CPU multiplier and set it to 9x and cpu bus speed to 200Mhz. So u get the original speed of a 3000+, ie 1.8Ghz. (200x9).
Anything higher than that ic ocing, like 10x multiplier and 200 bus, so effective 200x10=2.0Ghz. Or multiplier set to 9x and bus to 225, so effective 2.05 Ghz. Like that.

U SHOULD AT LEAST SET THE ORIGINAL SPEED OF CPU, ie MAKE IT TO 1.8Ghz.

lol.....:D...no.....he has enabled Cool 'n' Quiet.....:D

@drvarunmehta:.....is the 199MHz constant.....coz all the buses on the mobo/chipste keep jumping around 1MHz or 2MHz....

Last edited:

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Wow Ive heard dat cool n quite slows down ur machine, so never turned on...Its totally Bulls**t...who would wanna run a system at half the speed for minimising noise??????
Also @ drvarunmehta
Can u tell your CPU nd system temp at these extreme cool clocks????

Nd dun set your CPU voltage to 1.4. Set it to 1.3 or even 1.35 as AMD recomented one is 1.3v. Also please give your CPU fan speed at idle nd load.

Last edited:
OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
@arvind: That's only Cool'n'Quiet doing it's job. the PC hits 1780 MHz under load. I'm not concerned with the clock speed. It's the bus speed thats odd.

@akshayt: It's from the time I bought the PC but I just never bothered about it till now. All benchmarks are as good as they should be.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
aravind_n20 said:
Wow Ive heard dat cool n quite slows down ur machine, so never turned on...Its totally Bulls**t...who would wanna run a system at half the speed for minimising noise??????
Also @ drvarunmehta
Can u tell your CPU nd system temp at these extreme cool clocks????
x2ev8.png[/IMG][/URL]

C&Q is not constant......if u r only say..surfin the net using firefox then u don't need 1.8GHz....all u need is 1GHz....so...it slows down the procey so that it runs cooler and quieter.......

As soon as u run....F.E.A.R!! or and extensive application....it will pump it back to 1.8GHz.

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
CPU temps are quite low and fan speeds ar 2-3k rpm. I just restored the BIOS to factory settings but it dosen't help.
@arvind: Bus speed is a constant 199 MHz.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@drvarunmehta
why r u concerned bout bus speed. Its 199 na nd its nomal is 200. U would never notice any diff if u make it 200 nd it won't give u even 1 single point in any benchmarks.

Dun know bout MSI RS 480 board but even ASUS A8N VM can crank bus upto 240 nd for A8NE u can crank upto hell!!!!400MHZ.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well , at stock , my bus speed at 201.2 MHz .. so its quite normal for the bus speed to be 1 MHz more or less from the standard value ...

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Yaa dun worry bout bus speed, but what u have to concern is the CPU clock speed. Disable the cool n quite nd crank it up to 1.8.

@deathvirus_me
how did u increase the mem clock by 4mhz??Ive the option only of 433 after 400. Also plz give ur temp readings.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
how did u increase the mem clock by 4mhz??Ive the option only of 433 after 400. Also plz give ur temp readings.

I downclocked to ddr33 , increased the FSB from 200 to 242 .. ram wen from 166 to 201.9 ... so its ddr404 now .. :D

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@deathvirus_me
but i usually keep mem clock at 400 nd increased the fsb, but on windows the mem clocks is showed as somethin around 400 only...why so??
But mem clocks won't make much perfomance diff as cpu clock, so not much worried of it.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
but i usually keep mem clock at 400 nd increased the fsb, but on windows the mem clocks is showed as somethin around 400 only...why so??
But mem clocks won't make much perfomance diff as cpu clock, so not much worried of it.

Well .. ur mem. clocks directly affect the total mem. bandwidth .. for example , ddr440 will have better mem. read/write/latencies than ddr400 at stock ...

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
Is Cool-N-Quiet recommened ?? ... I mean should we enable it .. if we just have to do simple work, no gaming n ripping?

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
If you aren't into heavy CPU usage like gaming or encoding, you should enable Cool-N-Quiet. It lets your processor run cooler and saves on power. You won't experience any decrease in performance either.

mobilegeek

Ambassador of Buzz
generally the work is simple .. but sometimes the ripping n gaming
.. in that case just reboot n change everytime .. or keep it enabled

OP
D

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Keep it enabled. When it needs more power, the processor will automatically run at it's full potential.
Even if you want to disable it, there's no need to even reboot. You can change the settings from within Windows itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom