OC Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
sam9s said:
None.......I missed the multiplier part. That justifies 670.

Arrey just kidding :p .. i actually had thoughts of getting a new CPU cooler .. but thought i'd give the stock one a try .. and hey .. i don't regret it .. the cash i saved there was enough to get me a Audigy 4 :D ..

@ ranjan2001 : disable the Qfan control .. i see that u've set it to optimal .. no wonder ur temps are so high .. plz. for ur cpu's sake , disable qfan control ..

*www.supload.us/thumbs/default/hardwaremonitorjk2.jpg

That'd do the trick ...

Last edited:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I disabled Q-fan but cpu is still running at 60° on 450fsb 5-5-5-15.
One thing i noticed is that when I disabled Qfan &foud vanderpool technology got grayed out (which is enabled in my case) , now I cant change that parameter.

Is Qfan related to vanderpool technology?

I feel that some setting in my bios are not right, I have noted that when I change some setting , some other related bios setting also changes with it without my knowledge & might be set at some wrong value causing heat.

I feel my heatsink is fitted fine so that cant be a problem now
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/5025/heatsinkmountedwl9.th.jpg
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/3900/heatsinkrq2.th.jpg

I have 2 front fans for air inflow directly powered from the PSU power cables as of now
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/1236/frontfanmh0.th.jpg
& 2 in the rear for air outflow
*img120.imageshack.us/img120/6641/rearfanrk4.th.jpg

& another one in the side panel
The rear 2 fans & side panel fans are connected to the 3 seperate points on the mobo

So by above description I feel I am pretty well ventilated & there could be some other issue for rising temp.

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
ranjan dude, there's only one dedicated rear fan in ur cabyy. & two screws are missing in it:D, your Assembler dude has messed this too.

btw did you get that CPU Fan+Heat sink with your C2D.

coz when i was lookin for CPU fan., a shopkeeper showed a Cheap Quality CPU Fan+Heat Sink, which looked similar to the one you have.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
hahahh......u got that right, screw is missing as this image was shot when I had taken out the fan, but in rear now they are 2 fans for sure running.

I got the fan along with C2D box backed, it has Intel sticker too.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
no dude. dont do tat, ask the Pro dudes here.

i thought that part was fried. though i really hope its not that:)

my frnd just bought a new m/b (d102), & he has already fried some part.:D , dunno wats the reason, maybe loose CPU Heat sink.

the Soldering of one mount of the Big (chipset) Heat Sink has partially melted:shock:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Now u have raise the doubts, it does look bit blackish which may be a sign of burning, if I get time I will like too take it out & photograph it just to be sure.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Is Qfan related to vanderpool technology?

Don't think so .. but if u have to change the current settings for "Vanderpool Technology" .. or more simply Virtualization , then u'll have to reset the bios manually :( ..

Also , if all these don't help , then its definitely physical .. a friend of mine faced a similar overheating problem coz the CPU heat sink didn't fit properly .. his temps were shooting above 70c under loads too .. i'd recommend u to go through the cpu assembling part again .. :( ..

Also , i'd like to mention my fan setup too , if that helps :

Front : 2 intake 80 mm (normal)
Side : 1 intake 80 mm Antec blue led
Rear : 1 intake Vcool , 1 out 120 mm tricool , 2 out in SMPS (1 temp. controlled) :D ..

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
deathvirus_me said:
@ ranjan2001 : disable the Qfan control .. i see that u've set it to optimal .. no wonder ur temps are so high .. plz. for ur cpu's sake , disable qfan control

Q-fan practically does nothing, its just a technology to controll fan speed. Disabling does increase the Fan's RPM but practically does'nt impact the temp much. I am not sure about the vanderpool tech. I see no link between the two. Its something like vmware but its hardware-assisted. Its generally kept disabled.

@ranjan its now hard to find what exactly could be the temp issue here, have seen all the snappies and find number of fans or fan's placement should not be the cause. You can try placing the stock cooler again with better past, or might try another piece if you can manage one. And where is that blakish thing, I can,nt find one?????.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well , try it urself .. with qfan enabled , fan rpm can go as low as 800 .. and with it disabled , the fan doesn't go below 2000 .. that'll make quite a difference ..

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
deathvirus_me said:
Well , try it urself .. with qfan enabled , fan rpm can go as low as 800 .. and with it disabled , the fan doesn't go below 2000 .. that'll make quite a difference ..

I tried thats why I could say like this, probably in some cases it does make a difference.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
@Sam its in this pic:)

slightly blakish colour in left top side.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Well , another clear pic would be nice .. the focus of the camera was in a very odd place ..

But it could be a burnt region .. if u took the pic how did u miss it ??

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
s18000rpm said:
@Sam its in this pic:)

slightly blakish colour in left top side.

Thanks 18000. I dont think thats burnt or something, its very very rare, impossible I might say. I have'nt come across a C2D getting burnt. Prescott chips maybe but not C2D, get it checked though to clear the fear.

PS::18000 I am waiting for you OC story to start ;-)....whats the latest getting ready for the mobo purchase....:)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
sam9s said:
Q-fan practically does nothing, its just a technology to controll fan speed. Disabling does increase the Fan's RPM but practically does'nt impact the temp much. I am not sure about the vanderpool tech. I see no link between the two. Its something like vmware but its hardware-assisted. Its generally kept disabled.

When Deathvirus asked to disable Q-fan & I did so , vanderpool got greyed out n& in my case its enabled, so raeding those bios screen which deathvirus posted I need to disable it & that i have to reset the cmos battery I guess.

I will try enabling the Qfan & see if vanderpool gets enabled or not so we know if they are co-related or not.

I am now sure that the temp issue is internal as I have tried various things such as keeping the side doors open/closed with all fans working, taken the the cabinet on the terrace yesterday when it was quite windy but the temp dont chnage much..................so finally it could be heatsink only, so I will take out that along with new images to clear all doubts.

Thanks to all for helping.................I really appeariciate your efforts, hope we finally can solve this issue.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
sam9s said:
PS::18000 I am waiting for you OC story to start ;-)....whats the latest getting ready for the mobo purchase....:)
dude you can call me "Sanjeev" or "BMW":D whichever easy to type (obviously bmw:D, thanks to "crazy_kidd" :D ), coz typing 18000...too many numbers:D

btw about m/b, will get it latest by March.:)

i got another noob doubt:D, can we Overclock the RAM alone, as my "fully blown Overclockin Story" will begin only in month of "May":( (C2D).

so rit now i have P4 - 3.06GHz - 533FSB - 519k, which as u guys said b4 - will need a NOS cooling:D for OC'n :D .

as you know already i have Corsair 1GB (512*2) - 800MHz - XMS2 - 6400 - 5-5-5-12 RAM, so is it possible to OC this RAM alone? :confused:

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
UPDATED

I checked in the bios by enabling/disabling the Q-fan now, but the vanderpool remained greyed & did not change with my settings, but just yesteday seeing those BIOS screens deathvirus posted I took snaps of my bios to compare & the vanderpool was active, I dont know what is happening
, here is the shot.

*img89.imageshack.us/img89/5718/vpoolactiveim8.th.jpg

I did some change (disabling Qfan) & it got greyed out
*img89.imageshack.us/img89/2540/vpoolgreyedui0.th.jpg

so some mesterious things happening in the BIOS.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
s18000rpm said:
dude you can call me "Sanjeev" or "BMW":D whichever easy to type (obviously bmw:D, thanks to "crazy_kidd" :D ), coz typing 18000...too many numbers:D

btw about m/b, will get it latest by March.:)

i got another noob doubt:D, can we Overclock the RAM alone, as my "fully blown Overclockin Story" will begin only in month of "May":( (C2D).

so rit now i have P4 - 3.06GHz - 533FSB - 519k, which as u guys said b4 - will need a NOS cooling:D for OC'n :D .

as you know already i have Corsair 1GB (512*2) - 800MHz - XMS2 - 6400 - 5-5-5-12 RAM, so is it possible to OC this RAM alone? :confused:

Well BMW sounds and types much better....:). About your q, no we cant OC RAM alone, RAM/FSB are linked together, so you increase the FSB to OC both your RAM and Processor. Dont worry we will wait till May, you can get a sexy C2D till then, maybe even 4 GB ram with vista (original NO betas or tetas), coz vista works like a charm with 4 GB ram. Then we are set to break all records.....:D

I checked in the bios by enabling/disabling the Q-fan now, but the vanderpool remained greyed & did not change with my settings, but just yesteday seeing those BIOS screens deathvirus posted I took snaps of my bios to compare & the vanderpool was active, I dont know what is happening

I did some change (disabling Qfan) & it got greyed out

so some mesterious things happening in the BIOS.

As I said, they could not linked together, both i guess are totally diff. technoloigies. You can keep the vanderpool diabled, wont make any diff. About Q-Fan try both ways if you feel any diff keep it that way.

I agree that we have tried everything pertaining to ventilation and that does not seem to be the problem. If its heatsink the only way we can test is to try another one ( I dont know how you gonna manage one).

ranjan this time when you remove the stock fan, apply some good quality thermal past (artic silver is very good) before placing it again. i am sure with so much of removing n placing all the original past must have dried out. lets see if we can sort this out.

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
To change Vanderpool settings u'll have to reset the bios itself .. look at the right column dude ...

If ur oc'ing , it is recommended to disable the functions u do not require .. and this is one function one hardly requires ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom