OC Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ehm!!!ok I know sounds repetative. OC issue but no other way except to start a new thread for this one.
Ch@0s I would be looking specifically for your openion. Ok my specs C2D 6300 ASUS P5B Delux Wifi. 800Mhz 1 GB Transcend RAM. Earlier I had corsair 667. Now I dont know where the problem lies......initially with 667 I was able to OC my C2D to 2.5 i.e. 360 FSB and my ram was running at 720, with Vmem at 2.00v, no changes in the Vcore. Ratio was 1:1 as usual. I was impressed on the OC capability of the ram. I wanted to cross 3 Ghz mark, so obviously the first bottle neck was the ram. I was in a mood to go for corsair again,Then some how on chaos advice I got the transcend 800 Mhz. Checkout this discuession if people are interested.......

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36930

Corsiair any how was 3500 bucks expensive than Tran. So I got tran. Now even with an 800 Mhz I cant cross same 2.5 Ghz, 360 FSB. My Transcend is running at mere 720 with Vmem at 2.05. 0.05v more then what corsair was getting and trans is not even running at its normal capasity i.e. 800 Mhz forget about OC and crossing 800. My system wont boot the moment I increase my FSB from 360. I have updated the Bios. No changes. I have seen people crossing 3 Ghz mark with the same specs. But NO ONE with Transcend. Check out below forum and an article..

*www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=106685&page=2

*anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2860&p=7

The same anandtech is using Geil PC2-6400 800MHz for OC benchmark for which Ch@0s forwarded me the following article recomending Transcend.

*anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2862&p=2

Ok here is another review what people have to say when I discuessed Transcend on another forum....

"As for your ram, Transcend has little to no reputation in online enthusaist circles so I am still not sure of two things. One, if the memory you have actually has Micron D9 ICs, as they could might have used them in the 667MHz memory and used different ICs in their 800MHz memory and two, whether or not the review samples Anandtech reviewed are representative of their product line and therefore not cherry picked. "

Anyway now I need solution. Some say its the powersupply if not the RAM. I have a 400 W Zebronics PSU. coz everything else is same. My bios is updated. And FSB:RAM ratio is 1:1 as well. Where is the damn problem .............all you techie guys out there need some help here.......

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
First see what the RAM can do at 2:3(FSB:RAM)... make sure latencies are at 5-5-5(4-4-4 might also work) and vdimm is arnd 2.2V. Could you tell me what latencies you have set in the northbridge config? Personally I've seen 4 sticks of transcend 667 and all of them did 800MHz 4-4-4 at around 2.1V.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Ch@0s said:
First see what the RAM can do at 2:3(FSB:RAM)... make sure latencies are at 5-5-5(4-4-4 might also work) and vdimm is arnd 2.2V. Could you tell me what latencies you have set in the northbridge config?.

Well my latenciey is set to 4-4-4-12. Check out the snapshot.

*i15.tinypic.com/3yyuikh.jpg

I will try changing to 5-5-5 with Vmem to 2.2 when I reach home today. I am in office now and would report back.

Personally I've seen 4 sticks of transcend 667 and all of them did 800MHz 4-4-4 at around 2.1V.

Could this mean that the person was right when he said Tran might have used D9 chips in 667 and not in 800. Man I would go for a jolt if that is true. Is there anyway to check that.....the D9 Chips.

Last edited:

Ch@0s

In the zone
^^Quite possible but it should atleast do what its rated at... 800 @5-5-5 at 2V i think. Try the 2:3 ratio to be sure that the cpu is not a bottleneck. What is ur vcore?

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I have tried changing my Vcore : 1.40 to 1.47. Does nothing, makes no difference. Havent gone beyond 1.47 to be safe........BRB.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Its quite possible that ur cpu is hitting a wall... as i said try the 2:3 ratio and see where you get to.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
OK sorry to have replied late. Ch@0s. I tried that. I dont think my mobo has an option to manually tune the Timing. I dont know how to set it to 5-5-5. Coz correct me if I am wrong for 2:3 the RAM should start at 400 Mhz, but with FSB starting at 266, I dont have the option of setting up my memory below 533. So I am always left at 1:1. Am I doing something wrong, can you help me understanding how to set the timing at 5-5-5 i.e 2:3. I have the same board as yours.

Man I feel so envy of those crossing 3 Ghz. Some of them are beyond 3.6 with water cooling. I wish I can reach there, I was even wondering what options we have for water cooling in India, but DAMN I am not even crossing 2.5 Ghz. I dont know maybe I should have gone for corsair. Are you sure its not the power supply, coz many of the other forums guys said a 400W PSU is just at the border line plus you need to have atleast 24A under 12+ volt. I have 20A listed there. I dont know.......n number of options. Your move buddy.........

Ch@0s

In the zone
You have a P5B Wifi right? It has all those controls... look hard enough. The timings are in "NorthBridge config"... disable timings by spd and set to manual and the actual timings will show up. If you are running the ram with SPD timings enabled (which is obviously the case since you don't know where to look for it), there's no way you can overclock. My CPU fails to boot beyond 333FSB with timings by SPD and with manual timings, it manages to run superpi at 443FSB LOL. Its simply a timings problem... set it manually to 5-5-5-15 and it'll work easy at higher FSB.

Also I know that you can't set ram below 533 but you can atleast set it to 800 and see if it boots with FSB at 266... if its 800 rated ram, it should boot.... but as before, you need to manually set the timings.

BTW 533 = 1:1. 667 = 4:5, 800 = 2:3 and 1066 = 1:2.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I got I got. Yea its kinda hard to find. but I got it, and the good new is it worked atleast with 401 FSB. Booted easily. Thanks buddy you are the one.
Snaps just for the sake.

*i12.tinypic.com/2ueirup.jpg

*i14.tinypic.com/2aa0glx.jpg

I am gonna try pump up the FSB to 430 try crossing out 3 ghz. Will come back soon. Thanks again. My mem is atleast working at 800. Thats a huge relief.
Ok...I was able to cross 3 Ghz with ease.No problem at all just raised the FSB to 429. I guess I can even try lowering down the voltage since its the timing that was an issue. Thanks again chaos for solving it out. Snaps again...

*i11.tinypic.com/4hx2zb8.jpg
*i11.tinypic.com/2jb76sh.jpg

At 3 Ghz its blazing fast. Leme put it to some good multiple stresses, just to have a feel as to how good it is. Then I will try pumping it to 3.5 Ghz.

Last edited:
OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
I would soon need this thread once I get my 800 Ram.

Get an 800 only if you plan to OC like hell.....like trying touching 3.5 on 6300, otherwise you can get a decent 2.8 or so with 667 as well.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Sam I just got a call from Sai communaction, that the 800 Transcend Ram is now available with him, I am so excited ....................just going to NP to look for cooling solution & get the ram, I surely want to OC but not sure how much as I have never done it.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
Sam I just got a call from Sai communaction, that the 800 Transcend Ram is now available with him, I am so excited ....................just going to NP to look for cooling solution & get the ram, I surely want to OC but not sure how much as I have never done it.

That is so nice to hear, even I have to upgrade to 2 GB so was waiting for the RAM. If you do get a decent cooling solution PM me I would be verymuch intersted to have a know how.
How much would you be able to OC is something we cant say unless we try. but with the same config you should be able to reach the point where I am.
Get together the stuff......we will try out then......:)

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Sam I finally got the 800RAM for Rs 7000/- each though he last quoted 6200/- but I had to purchase any how.
Regarding the cooling solution all I could find was coolermaster available at SMC its a water cooled unit for Rs5200/-, I asked for Zalman/artic cooler but no one has them, so probably getting from IT depot or online shopping is the only chance.

Since I got 800 ram now I want to start OC , where do I start, there is asus utility AI Suite > AI booster which has an advance tab for over clocking & saving the profile, what setting shall I start with................I am too new to all this.

Ch@0s

In the zone
Man thats a totally retarded price for value ram :|. Screw AI Booster... use manual settings in the bios.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Ch@0s,
yes ram is bit expensive but I needed it so bought that one, AI booster works on auto & manual setting so it does have manual setting option without needing to go to BIOS every time.

I just need some setting values to start with weather I do in BIOS or AIbooster its the same setting.

OP
sam9s

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
ranjan2001 said:
Ch@0s,
yes ram is bit expensive but I needed it so bought that one, AI booster works on auto & manual setting so it does have manual setting option without needing to go to BIOS every time.

I just need some setting values to start with weather I do in BIOS or AIbooster its the same setting.

Dont use AI Booster or another windows utility to OC. Need to go in to BIOS, and yes every time if not successful. Go in the advance settings set the FSB to 266 and ram speed to 533. Right now I am in Banglore and would be there for another month so I dont have access to my system, but I will try helping you out. Ok next lock the PCIE freq to 100 and there is another setting next to PCIE freq I dont remember, you need to set it at 33.33. Then try booting and report.........

RAM is ok not that expensive I got it for 9000 on NOV 2006.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom