NVIDIA says "significant quantities" of laptop GPUs are defective

Status
Not open for further replies.

Indyan

Here Since 2003
If you're the type to watch the late stock tickers, you might have noticed that NVIDIA's stock just took a pretty big hit, down 24 percent to $13.56 -- that's because the company just informed investors that "significant quantities" of previous-generation graphics chips have been failing at "higher than normal rates," and that it's lowering its Q2 estimates due to pricing pressure. NVIDIA will be taking a $150M to $250M charge against earnings next quarter to cover the cost of repairing and replacing the affected chips, but didn't specifically announce what products were defective, just that they include GPUs and "media and communications processors." Laptop makers have apparently already been given an updated GPU driver which kicks in fans sooner to reduce "thermal stress" on the GPU, and NVIDIA says it's talking to its suppliers about being reimbursed for the faulty parts. That's great and all, but we'd really rather know which chips specifically are failing -- if you're serious about playing in the big leagues, you better come clean, guys.
Source

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
" but we'd really rather know which chips specifically are failing "

yup thats whats required if they want to come clean...

Sourabh

Laptoping
has the mobile editiion of ati hd3xxx launched?

Yes, check the new Dell Studios.

I get a feeling something's wrong with NVIDIA's 8M lineup. That's what really got their mobile GPU sales going in the last 12-15 months. It would be interesting to see how they fix the issue as this would have to be taken care of by manufacturers.

talking about the Dell Studios, what exactly are they ? I see their ads in newspapers often these days.
At first glance, I vaguely remembered Ubuntu Studio. But looking at the configuration, I saw no change at all from normal dell laptops.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Studio series are for pure Home, movie entertainment, and they offer better screen size and technlogy. And also they have ATI HD 3650 instead of nvidia. HD 3xxx is far better in HD decoding and movies than 8xxx also consumes much less power.
Also studio series are available in vibrant body colours and finishes.

Studio series are for pure Home, movie entertainment, and they offer better screen size and technlogy. And also they have ATI HD 3650 instead of nvidia. HD 3xxx is far better in HD decoding and movies than 8xxx also consumes much less power.
Also studio series are available in vibrant body colours and finishes.
Sweet. That sounds perfect, but for the name :p
I thought it was something to entertain the entertainment industry.;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Sh!t .. I had suspected this.. I thought it might be drivers.. My laptop hangs after sometime when I watch full screen videos and the power scheme is in High performance.. may be its a heating issue with the GPU.... :mad:

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
Just found out it seems like it is the Nvidia Geforce 8500M-series

*www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8293&Itemid=1

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Does it mean that since i have X300 on my laptop i should be really happy...!
Where is the world getting to when owning a nvidia GPU on lappy is bane ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom