i recently purchased the HP DV6736NR Lappy with the following conf:

AMD Turion(TM) 64 X2 2.0Ghz
2GB DDR2
250GB SATA
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7150M (UMA)
Vista Home Premium + SP1
etc
etc

the problem comes when i play Xvid Videos, at no specific time during the playback, the display gets corrupted and the whole system becomes unaccesable. it ends only when i give it a brutal reboot(by pressing the power button for 3 secs). this thing can happen the momment i play the vid or may take 10 mins to crash, but in all, i have never seen it work for more than 20 mins.

i have Need For Speed Pro Street installed on the system which runs normally and i have tried it for hours. and there is no problem at all playing the DVD videos(even at full screen)

i have tried restoring the system to factory settings and have updated drivers.
please help what should i do about this??

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
try using some codec pack like k-lite.....
try using a different media player.....
try monitoring ur cpu and gcard's temperatures while watching videos for anything unusual...

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
phew, I thought our nvidia did something wrong in the board. :lol:
LoL

i tried using VLC, Klite Mega codec pack. both have the same problem.
i have no means to check the gfx card's performance but i have seen sharp increase in cpu usage followed by a sharp drop, i dont know beyond because most of the time the display just turns off. is there any gfx card diagnostic utilities out there? i tried searching but they are all paid ones.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
for noting cpu ups and downs use CPU-Z and for noting gpu temp ups and downs use GPU-Z or nvidia control center

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
maybe the Vista SP1 is creating this problem.

afaik SP1 for OEM vista is not yet released.:?

jus now checked on my HP laptop & on desktop too.

& d/l gfx. drivers from HP website only:))

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
i dont think sp1 is creating problems. i installed sp1 hoping that this glich would be fixed. and it's true that sp1 was not showing up in my windows update, i downloaded it from the website and downloaded it. but again, this prob is haunting me well before that.

and about the gfx card drivers ... LOL... how do u know that?? well, i tried downloading the drivers from the nvidia website but they told me to download it from the hp website.

see guys thing is that, i cant call the hp ppl, as everything is running gr88 EXCEPT the downloaded xvid 700 mb files(i guess you all know what it is). i can tell them all that. i am using the HD video files downloaded from the microsoft site and they run just gr88!!

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
*www.xvidmovies.com/faq/#4.6

Picture is green/distorted/corrupted when playing XviD movies

This problem usually occurs when you try to play an XviD movie that is encoded with a newer version of the XviD codec than the one installed on your system (the codec installed on your system is outdated). If you don't have the latest version of the XviD codec installed already, make sure to upgrade before trying any of these suggestions. We recommend uninstalling all previous versions of the XviD codec before you upgrade to avoid possible conflicts with the new version of the codec.

If simply upgrading the XviD codec doesn't help, the problem is most likely that another DirectShow filter which isn't fully compatible with XviD is overriding the XviD codec for playback. To find out which filter/codec is actually being used to decode the movie you should download GSpot and open the movie you are having problems playing. After loading the movie into GSpot, use the "Render" option at the bottom of the program and look at the value of the "Video path". If the video path says "XviD MPEG-4 Video Decoder" then the XviD codec is being used to decode the movie, so either the installed version of the codec is outdated or the file is damaged/corrupt. If the video path says "DivX Decoder Filter", "ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder", or anything else then you need to figure out how to disable this filter/codec.

To disable the "DivX Decoder Filter" from decoding XviD videos, simply goto the Start->Programs->DivX->DivX Codec folder and select the Configuration option. Then switch to the "Decoder" tab and uncheck the "Support decoding of Generic MPEG-4 video" checkbox. This should tell your computer to use the installed XviD codec to decode XviD movies instead of DivX.

To disable the "ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder" from decoding XviD videos, simply goto the Start->Programs->ffdshow folder and select the Configuration option. Then switch to the "Codecs" section and change the XviD setting from "libavcodec" to either "disabled" or the "XviD" option. This should tell your computer to use the installed XviD codec to decode XviD movies instead of FFDShow.

about gfx. drivers, i also got the same msg. 2 days ago:))

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
there's nothhing like a distortion/coloration/ or corruption the display just goes blank! after some time the sound also hangs(it loops the last .2 sec of play back, like a cd is misbehaving or something.). if i am lucky enough, the display is restored and i get this message that your display driver stoped responding and have been recovered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom