Nvidia 6600 having trouble during game runs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Hi,

I just bought the Nv6600, the problem is during the game run like the demo of quake4 it runs fine uptill the interface but as soon as you hit start after a few seconds of loading the computer shutsdown abruptly.

I am of the opinion that this has more to do with the SMPS power supply, does any one know whats the minimum requirement for it. Currently I have 300W.

Will replacing the SMPS with upto 350W will suffice?? I faintly recall reading some where that the minimum was 400w is this true. More importantly will replacing the SMPS will have any ill effects on the other hardware component, (I think the answer is no but just want to be sure) I have older Km400Mother Board with Sempron 2500, two HDD 40+80, Sony DVD-Rw and one CDROM drive.

One more query for the nerds does higher power supply means that when I am playing games I am consuming lots of power (electricity), any ideas how does this compares to NV5200 :p

yash

I draw every day
i also need to know about a similar error that i have, my pc used to just restart before even the windows boot screen showed up.then i disconnected one of my cdrom drives and now, occasionally it starts successfully.other times ,the light on my monitor goes orange instead of green.like its in standby or shut down.i have the same config as gaurav

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Minimum for 6600 as recommended by NVIDIA is 300W SMPS. So to be on a safer side go for a good brand such as ANTEC,POWERSAFE, VIP of 400-450W.
Power consumption of 6600 is certainly higher than 5200.
To calculate ur approximate power consumption see this: *www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

OP
gauravnawani

gauravnawani

Journeyman
Thanks John, consumption for my computer was around 290, but only problem there was that there was no graphics card selection there for 6600. So I have to get one new SMPS.

jay4u

In the zone
i would sugest a powersafe 400 watt for budgeted option and antec for the extremesssss....

cryptid

Journeyman
@gauravnawani
What is the temperature of ur graphic card(thats after like 1hr of hight graphic game play?????i have a XFX 6600 256mb and i recorded the temp of the graph9ic card using Riva tuner,,, when i start the computer the initial temperature is around 45c but after few hrs of game play it rises to 78-82c is it normal to have such temperatures???? or is riva tuner giving me wrong readings???or will i have to exchange the graphic card for a new 1 or get a fan for it(my card did not come with a fan it came only with a heatsink) or are there ne other softwares that i should try to record the temperatures at present i am using Riva tuner v2.0 RC 15.8

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
The temperature at max load (78-82C) seems to be a bit high but as it fanless see that proper ventilation is provided for ur components. I have a leadtek 6600gt pci-e and it never goes beyond 50C at max load. Install the latest forceware 81.98 driver, it has in-built temperature reading option. Download it from here: *www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_81.98.html . I am using it and its fine.

OP
gauravnawani

gauravnawani

Journeyman
You guys will find it bit wierd but the problem that I had was not exactly the power shortage but actualy I had not properly installed the heatsink of the processor, there was a little gap I acidently looked upon the after (abrupt shutdown) remperature of the Processor at bios on next boot and realised it, anyway I did installed a 400watt smps none the less.

Cryptid I have Leadtek 6600 AGP with fan, I haven't checkd the temprature of it after heavy work but it starts from 38C.

78-82 is near burning you should consider some seperate fan attachment. May be you can attach some old CPU fans over the heatsink as a replacement for the actual fan, you will have additional system fan plugs on MOBO. I have done that with my older 5200 without any problems, yeah it wont be that effecient but atlease it might reduce the temprature to 10-15 degrees'

yash

I draw every day
i finally got a compatible navtech smps of 450watts fo 950 here in akola today.still have to wait to test it though...no electricity till 4 pm...

yash

I draw every day
hey guys I just found out(my cousin told me) that the ups`es that we have dont output power above 250 watts or something...so getting a newer smps wont make a difference if u`re using the same ups. is it true? because I tested my graphics card on two other pc`s and there also its giving the same kind of problem

Kniwor

Learner
Bull-shit, I have run 2-3 PC's on a single UPS at some time when i got the college comp room electricity messed up......

yash

I draw every day
ok he also realised that was stupid...and hey the graphics card is still having problems running normally. it hangs aafter a little while on the windows desktop. novatech 450watts is also not helping me here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom