NTFS partition or FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

artem

Broken In
hey its like i jus got ma ext hdd wrkin i wannna kno how can i change d existin NTFS part. to fat32 or shud i jus leve it lik dat...wat r d adv of NTFS ova FAT32...n hw to chng coz d option fer FAT32 aint shown its like only NTFS can b selected

sree_shan

Broken In
The Advantages of NTFS :

The NTFS file system, introduced with first version of Windows NT, is a completely different file system from FAT. It provides for greatly increased security, file–by–file compression, quotas, and even encryption. It is the default file system for new installations of Windows XP, and if you're doing an upgrade from a previous version of Windows, you'll be asked if you want to convert your existing file systems to NTFS. Don't worry. If you've already upgraded to Windows XP and didn't do the conversion then, it's not a problem. You can convert FAT16 or FAT32 volumes to NTFS at any point. Just remember that you can't easily go back to FAT or FAT32 (without reformatting the drive or partition), not that I think you'll want to.

The NTFS file system is generally not compatible with other operating systems installed on the same computer, nor is it available when you've booted a computer from a floppy disk. For this reason, many system administrators, myself included, used to recommend that users format at least a small partition at the beginning of their main hard disk as FAT. This partition provided a place to store emergency recovery tools or special drivers needed for reinstallation, and was a mechanism for digging yourself out of the hole you'd just dug into. But with the enhanced recovery abilities built into Windows XP (more on that in a future column), I don't think it's necessary or desirable to create that initial FAT partition.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to compare :

and u can refer to the following sites to compare between ntfs and fat

*www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/ntfs/implFAT-c.html

*www.ntfs.com/ntfs_vs_fat.htm

*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

as persionally i hope that ntfs is better .....

:) :) :)

hermit

Journeyman
for current fat32 users to convert to ntfs

run -->cmd

type convert x:/fs:ntfs

where x is ur drive : c,d ,e... u wish to convert .

hope its useful

hermit

Pragadheesh

In the zone
first search d forum n then post a thread.. there r hell a lotta threads runnin wid d same topic..

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38972&highlight=NTFS

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38046&highlight=NTFS

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38463&highlight=NTFS

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38018&highlight=NTFS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom