NTFS or FAT32 which is better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
I have a 80GB hard drive with 6 partitions.....

C 10GB FAT32
D 10GB NTFS
E 10GB FAT32
F 15GB FAT32
G 15GB FAT32
H 20GB FAT32

I have a dual boot system...... windows 98SE in C drive & windows XP Pro in D that is NTSF.......

My question is, which is the fastest between NTFS & FAT32...... If FAT32 is faster than NTFS then is there any way to convert my D (NTFS) in to FAT32 without reinstalling windows XP & its program files.......

where should I put my page file of windows XP ?? What should be size of the file as I use an AMD 2600+ XP with 256 MB DDR RAM......

JAK

What the Heck !
saurav_cheeta said:
My question is, which is the fastest between NTFS & FAT32...... If FAT32 is faster than NTFS then is there any way to convert my D (NTFS) in to FAT32 without reinstalling windows XP & its program files.......

Its already answered here....:wink:

*thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6773&highlight=fat32+ntfs
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4559&highlight=fat32+ntfs
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3083&highlight=fat32+ntfs

saurav_cheeta said:
where should I put my page file of windows XP ?? What should be size of the file as I use an AMD 2600+ XP with 256 MB DDR RAM......

Its always better to hav a dedicated partition for the page file..preferably on seperate HDD(if u hav 2 HDDs). If u dont hav do HDD's its still recommeded to hav the page file on a dedicated partition.
Also having a dedicated partition for the pagefile helps u in reducing the Image size of the OS partition incase u plan to Image it using Drive Image or Ghost...

The ideal size for the page file is 1.5 times the amt of RAM in ur system
u hav 256MB ..so ur page file shud be 1.5 x 256MB = 384MB

although i wud recommend atleast 512MB pagefile size :wink:

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
NTFS is definitely faster of the two.
Yes its possible to convet the ntfs part to fat without destructive formatting
If u cant use the command line param then use partition magic 8.0 to do so.Its very easy with that software.......just couple of restarts and u r ready to go
But u have win 98 so all ur partitions should be in fat 32
For a system with 256 mb ram a pf of around 384 mb should be enough and optimum

Kamaleshwaran

Right off the assembly line
use NTFS for win xp / win 2000 and fat32 for win95 / win98 / win me

saurav_cheeta said:
I have a 80GB hard drive with 6 partitions.....

C 10GB FAT32
D 10GB NTFS
E 10GB FAT32
F 15GB FAT32
G 15GB FAT32
H 20GB FAT32

I have a dual boot system...... windows 98SE in C drive & windows XP Pro in D that is NTSF.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom