NTFS or FAT - (urgent)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachin46

Broken In
Hello Friends,

I have purchased
C2D 1.86
With 250Gb Seagate 7200.10 Sata2 (232Gb Available space)

But I come across 1 doubt while win XP installation

While making partition, XP setup is not allowing me to create 5 partitions of 46 GB in FAT file system(probably bcoz of 32GB limit), Yes NTFS is allowed, but I have not used NTFS before

So, Please tell me what should I do now

1. Go with NTFS,
- But Is NTFS is better than or equal to FAT (considering diff. S/W & Games, movies extc support)
- it will not give me any problem na!!, bcoz I heard we cant swich back from NTFS to FAT

2. Is it possible to create >32GB partition in FAT, is yes then how?

3. Also please tell me haw can I divide this 232GB in better way

This quiry is very Urgent, bcoz I want to start my new PC as soon as possible

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
1>NTFS is much better, its time to upgrade now, NTFS get fragmented less, compared to FAT32...
U have a uber cool rig there go with NTFS....

2> Awesome PC! .....Overclock the CPU...65nm chips rock!

altimate

Broken In
!. Go with NTFS since it has innumerable more features than FAT32.U would not com across any difference unless for some really old programs..
2.FAT has limited no. of entries in its FAT table which is not going to permit u extend ur partition beyond 32 GB(Do some Research on this man!!!)
3.NTFS would b best for these rype of LARGE HDD.....

sakumar79

Technomancer
Have a 15 GB partition for windows and programs, and depending on your needs, you can partition for data (business, home), music, movies, backups, games, etc.

Arun

OP
S

sachin46

Broken In
Thanks for ur quick reply friends !!!

Now I have to go with NTFS man!!

but I am thinking to create one partition of 30 GB with FAT, bcoz in future if I plane to use dual boot with Linux then it will be helpful to me na? also latter I can swich to NTFS if that FAT partition is not required.

But by doing this I will not loose any performance & NTFS security fetchers na? for the other NTFS drive

If this is the case I will go with full NTFS.

Aslo,Sam

I have C2D E6300 with
Asus P5B-VM and
2*512 533MHz Transcend ( becoz 667 not available @ that time)
VIP – 400W SMPS

Initially I have not think about Overclocking, but Now how much I can Overclock safely with stock cooler and How?

shaunak

Tux Fan
Go with full NTFS.
You can as well mount NTFS partitions in linux as you can FAT partitions.
Also most *Nix partitioning tools come with full support for NTFS resizing.
Whenever you require the space you can always remove the partition and install Linux in it.
You could also leave 30GB blank [unpartitioned]. This way during linux installation the partition wizard will automaticaly be able to create the partitions keeping the dirty work from you.

PS: why wait for a tommorow, install linux today.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
sachin46 said:
Aslo,Sam

I have C2D E6300 with
Asus P5B-VM and
2*512 533MHz Transcend ( becoz 667 not available @ that time)
VIP – 400W SMPS

Initially I have not think about Overclocking, but Now how much I can Overclock safely with stock cooler and How?

your E6300 can easily do 2.2GHz-.24GHz.....or even higher...with the stock cooler....also plz tell the temps at load and Idle...if the load temps are near 58 degs or higer at stock then don't overclock..

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
Depends on your needs, for XP give 15-20GB, for Vista give 40-50GB, for games give 70-100GB provided you are a gamer etc.

Last edited:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
Arre yaar... go for FAT as ur primary drive, another FAT drive and some NTFS drives. Make it that way, so that u have 2 ordinary sized FAT32 drives and others NTFS.

The biggest problem with NTFS being the primary drive (C drive in a monoboot system) is that floppies can't be read, DOS can't be accessed. We can't rule out floppies and DOS yet. NTFS has better security features and more optimized sector size management. Also it supports huge files in excess of 4gb..(this is especially useful when copying DVD movie contents or creating a backup of the same).

I say go for both... FAT32 as C drive, D drive... NTFS as the others... put movies, disc images, songs etc on these NTFS drives, use FAT32 partitions as temporary backups, for light material, experimental sw...

Both have their pluses and minuses... use both and be the winner everytime ;)

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
but keep in mind that writing to NTFS in linux is not fully developed as of now,so it's a better option to keep a FAT partition to ensure reliable write access in linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom