November 2007 - Opinion Poll

Government imposed security measures in cybercafés - fair or foul?

• a) They're important for homeland security

Votes: 16 11.9%
  • b) ID checks and cameras are good, keyloggers are not

Votes: 75 55.6%
  • c) They intrude on our privacy

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • d) Corrupt government officials may misuse our data

Votes: 23 17.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
The Full Question: What do you think of government imposed security measures in cybercafés, such as key loggers, ID checks and security cameras?

Please answer the poll AND post your opinion as well.

Example Answers:

I vote b), because it's OK to ensure that nothing shady happens in cybercafes, but keyloggers will give people access to my e-mail, bank account details and other such private data.

I vote d), with all the stamp paper scams and fodder scams, aren't we just begging for a keylogger scam now?

Last edited:

utsav

damn busy...
i am voting for B .Because keyloggers log down our every keystroke which will include all our e-mail id passwords and bank account passwords and make our private information more vulnerable to the hacking attempts of hackers.Passwords and security codes will lose their value then.But security cams and ID checks will be a good move to prevent terrorist activities in our country

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
what if i want to use it for an emergency where the hell would i get an id.it's not like teenagers carry college id's or pan cards.

also keyloggers can be misused even by the cyberwalla's for confidential info of some client specially the female ones

i don't think anyone can commit a cyber crime in 1hr or less so user access behaviour should be noted

i'll go with (c)

OP
Raaabo

Raaabo

The Dark Lord
Staff member
Admin
Err... nice ratedsuperstar, except, you forgot to actually VOTE in the poll... Please remember to vote AND post your opinion/explanation. Either that or you didn't vote C)

shantanu

Technomancer
i go for
B> as Security Measures are good to go.. but keyloggers will surely hamper with our privacy. Any person can be tracked by the ID used at the particular system and we have cameras.. So Security measures are good , but NO Keyloggers..

ray|raven

Think Zen.
I Believe that the government is taking correct steps by imposing security checks,but keyloggers are a big No-No as per me.

But,i dont know how much this could help on the other hand,
as i dont think the net center walla's will enforce it properly.

Regards,
ray

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
My vote goes for (a.).
We certainly don't want a 9\11 in our country.Ids can be faked very easily so I think what is left is the use of keylogger(I agree extracting relavent info. out of keystrokes is near to impossible task but something is better than nothing).And besides we need not worry about them if we are doing nothing illegal.
If you are concerned about your privacy than you will be amazed by how much Google knows about you and your online habits.

And I think our government officials are too incompetent to even misuse our data.lols.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
I will go for a). But these measures should be install/implementd in the cyber cafe such a way that other than the competant authority others cannot access the data captured by key logger even the cyber cafe owner.

Sourabh

Laptoping
I've voted for C. Simply because, I don't like the idea of passing on my contact details and telephone nos. to a stranger. Who knows what the cyber cafe guy has on his wicked mind? May be he will pass on the details to some LIC agents, Telemarketers,.. to make some quick money.

As for keyloggers, I personally don't care. I won't be doing anything more than editing a few documents from Pen drives or taking some print outs. I make it a point to not login to any sites. Even if that means I can't check my emails.

The idea of keyloggers and CCTV cameras is just plain retarded. No key loggers would help track a 'terrorist'.

blackpearl

The Devil
It's neither fair nor foul, it's useless. What is the govt trying to achieve by imposing the so called security measure? To prevent cyber crimes? to monitor terrorist activities? Give me a break! If this is implemented, it will be as effective as highway police checks. The criminals always manage to get through and only the innocent suffers.

How many cyber cafes do you think will actually conform to the security measures? How many will install expensive CCTV circuits? Maybe the bigger cafes, but the smaller ones which is more common, won't. And how many will actually check IDs? None. How many kids have shown age proof before entering into a movie theatre showing an adult movie? No cafe owner will turn away a customer just because he doesn't have an ID.

The only potential problem that could arise is by the use of keyloggers. But then, how do you know some cafewallas aren't already using it to keep track of their female customers?

I don't know which one to vote. Ok, I chose (c), though I know nothing much gonna happen. Cafes can now install keyloggers officially but like I said there is no way of knowing they aren't doing it already. And if you think govt can misuse the data, the chances are remote because half of the keylogger log files will be deleted by the cafe owner themselves becoz it's taking too much space on their hard disk or they will forget to take backup before formatting. The remaining log files will contain orkut scrap messages. :))

So just relax, nothing works in India.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
I am going for "B"
Cams are good as terrorists are using public cafes to communicate with their heads..
But keyloggers ???????????? A big NO.............

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I go with B, ID checks are nice.

Keyloggers!

OMG, no accounting for Privacy or Civil rights. Leave the criminals or corrupt govt officers aside, wat if the 'media' gets hold of this data. There would be a total commotion!

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
I voted for B.
Since i am a Cyber Law Student, i understand how difficult it is to track down the culprit if a public computer is used. ID Proof is extremely important. Tracking down the exact time the crime or fraud was committed is easy, and having a ID Proof of the person who used that computer at that time means you have your man.

Having everything recored via a camera is a bit complex process, as it would require every day's video to be saved if it has to be of any use. But then, once you know the time of the fraud or crime and have the ID of that person, i am not sure how the camera would help more.

And since we are talking about a single bad egg in crores of other, keyloggers are more harm than help. A definite no no for a keylogger.

narangz

Web developer
Sourabh said:
I've voted for C. Simply because, I don't like the idea of passing on my contact details and telephone nos. to a stranger. Who knows what the cyber cafe guy has on his wicked mind? May be he will pass on the details to some LIC agents, Telemarketers,.. to make some quick money.

As for keyloggers, I personally don't care. I won't be doing anything more than editing a few documents from Pen drives or taking some print outs. I make it a point to not login to any sites. Even if that means I can't check my emails.

The idea of keyloggers and CCTV cameras is just plain retarded. No key loggers would help track a 'terrorist'.

Agree... I do not think these measures help tracking down a criminal. These are simply a pain for 'normal' users. These can simply be used to mis-use personal information, harass or even blackmail a person. Thumbs down!!!

Voted for C

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
My Answer is c) these things effect our privacy.I think we should first make the cyber law a must and strong in India and then think of such things.

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
Abhishek Dwivedi said:
My Answer is c) these things effect our privacy.I think we should first make the cyber law a must and strong in India and then think of such things.

Cyber Law are not loose today.
Without these implementation, i can anytime go to a cyber cafe, hack into your email ids, your bank accounts, hack into government sites and whisk off.

You will never be able to track me down or get me as you have no idea who did it.

What is wrong in providing a ID Proof before getting onto the internet? Are you gonna do something wrong?

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
narangz said:
Agree... I do not think these measures help tracking down a criminal. These are simply a pain for 'normal' users. These can simply be used to mis-use personal information, harass or even blackmail a person. Thumbs down!!!

Voted for C

After reading my first post, how can you still say these measures wont help track down the criminal?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
I voted for B.I feel it is good to check id & install cam in cyber to keep a tab on people activities.But keyloggers are dangerous as it will also log passwds.They shouldn't be installed.This should prevent cyber crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom