Nothing seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renny

Padawan
Just installed Zenwalk 5,

Even here the comp hangs in Xfce desktop environment,

Which other linux cud i try for my system?

PIII 700MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD, Intel 810 chipset, PS/2 keyboard and mouse, 15" CRT Moniter.

PS - Ive already tried Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, Fedora and all of them hang and give loads of problems.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Does it hang when inside X or during boot,
if it hangs inside X, perhaps its a driver problem,
try setting ur driver to vesa and using for sometime.

OP
Renny

Renny

Padawan
Why Vesa, I cant get higher resolutions, plus it has the intel 810 graphics controller,

And plz anser my 1st query, cmon plz help.

Which other linux cud i try for my system?

PIII 700MHz, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD, Intel 810 chipset, PS/2 keyboard and mouse, 15" CRT Moniter.

PS - Ive already tried Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, Fedora and all of them hang and give loads of problems.

praka123

left this forum longback
One suggestion if u had not already found the distro for ur hardware:
Antix Mepis
*antix.mepis.org/
About antiX

antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on MEPIS for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "Magic of Mepis" in an environment suitable for old computers. So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 64MB old PII 266 systems with pre-configured 128MB RAM to the latest powerful boxes. 128MB RAM is recommended for antiX. antiX can also be used as a fast-booting rescue cd.
antiX-M7 will not run (yet) on older processors such as Pentium I (it seems that PII is ok, but PII MMX may not boot), AMD K5, and AMD K6 as it uses an up to date i686 kernel. antiX-Spartacus should.
At the moment antiX comes as a full distro (c310MB) and as a base distro (c178MB). For those who wish to have control over the install, use antiX-base.
latest to download:
20 March 2008
antiX-M7.2-base.iso (c190MB) available for testing.
topcat To download, user=antiXtester and password=fluxbox
This antiX version comes with all the Mepis Utilities to get you up and running easily and quickly plus iceweasel browser, rox-filer and leafpad editor. The rest is down to you!
Testers welcome. Comments and feedback on the antiX forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom