not geiing theater EFFECT from my 5.1 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

amitava82

MMO Addict
I just bought creative 5200 5.1 speaker and audigy 2 value sound card. But the sound is not at all satisfactory. No theater effect while watching DVD movie. Game sounds bit better but not much surround effect. No feelings while aeroplane or helicopter moves from front to back or enemy approaching from back, shooting etc. there should be some realism. no effects in all those action sequences in 007 movies. sound is all flat with too much BOOM that all other sounds from satellites gets suppressed. i tried all tweeking from settings, many DVD playing software etc, but no help. can some1 plz give me some idea how to setup everything to get good sound.?? i bought this speaker after reading review in DIGIT where those guys said it was a great speaker... :?: :?: :!: WTF

please help

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
before blaming the speakers,tell us what is the setup u have??
its better if possible u post a picture of ur room!!!

basically the setup shud be more or less like this...
try to achieve this as much as possible..

*img418.imageshack.us/img418/989/roomd19zq.gif

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
Creative probably has the best and most cost effective speakers ...
but recently they seemed to have done something .. some kind of upgradation or change ..

The new woofers are smaller than old ones, satellites too look a little different .. and the new woofers produce unnecessarily large bass.
Even with the bass control on speaker reduced to zero .. it produces irritantingly high volume bass.
Cant understand what's wrong with creative guys !!

-----
alibi

blacklight

Journeyman
@amitava82
hope the DVD u were playing was an original(coz pirated rip off disks might not have good quality audio )

and secondly try running the audigy diagnostics ( u would hav gotten it with the spkrs + soundcard )
and check if it gives all OK

readermaniax

Ambassador of Buzz
I just bought creative 5200 5.1 speaker and audigy 2 value sound card.
Hey thats a Very good choice

But the sound is not at all satisfactory. No theater effect while watching DVD movie. Game sounds bit better but not much surround effect.
configure your audio card with your speakers ...put the speaker slots in the right plce. and use the latest driver

can some1 plz give me some idea how to setup everything to get good sound.??

Code:
THESE ARE SOME LINKS THAT MAY HELP YOU
=>*www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmediaplayer/expert/bridgman_03january07.mspx
=>*www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial/article.asp?article=articles/2004/w1510/16w02/16w02.asp&guid=

What is Surround Sound?
Analog surround sound, also sometimes called "matrix surround sound," is an older technology that dynamically creates center channels from the two channels present in stereo. The front center channel is artificially created by extracting the differences between the left and right channels, and the rear channel is created by finding the sounds the left and right channels have in common. This simulates a richer environment, but there really is no more data delivered to the ear than what is already present in the two original channels. Digital surround sound, on the other hand, has discrete audio recorded specifically for each channel.

Most of your DVDs probably say "Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound," and Ray Dolby deserves a lot of credit for the standardization of multichannel audio for the home market, as does George Lucas for his work on THX and its related technologies.

The concept of digital surround sound is simple—the more directions from which you can send discrete sound to the listener, the more faithful the reproductions of real-life experiences can be. And each direction requires a separate channel. The common multichannel configurations available in consumer products today are 5.1, 6.1, and 7.1 systems.

The fractional ".1" refers to the subwoofer, which receives very low frequency sounds siphoned off from the other channels. Frequencies this low are basically felt, not heard, and thus direction is not critical. The remaining channels are for speaker configurations of front stereo, side ("surround") stereo, a front center speaker, and one or two rear speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 configurations, respectively. The rear speakers are necessary for a complete surround sound experience, such as hearing the flyovers in games.

Experience 5.1 Surround Sound on Your PC

To experience surround sound, your system has to meet these requirements:
• A computer running Windows XP
• Windows Media Player 9 Series installed
• 5.1 capable sound card
• 5.1 capable speakers

After you've selected your sound equipment, install your sound card and speaker system according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Set Up Sound Card and Speakers

*www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/windowsmediaplayer/expert/ss_01.jpg
The specs include an impressive 24-bit sample size and 96 KHz sample rate in 5.1 mode for both recording and playback, a 106db signal-to-noise ratio, support for 6 channel optical Sony/Philips Digital Interface (SPDIF) input and output, an IEEE 1394 port, and the distinction of being the first add-in sound card to receive THX certification. The Audigy 2 also comes in a Platinum edition, which includes a breakout box for front-panel access to additional connectivity options and an infrared remote. After inserting the card, I began the speaker installation.

I connected the speakers to the sound card using the special cable provided and powered up the computer. It detected the new sound card, but following Creative's directions, I cancelled the hardware installation wizard and installed Creative's drivers and software from the supplied CD.

When installation was complete, I ran the speaker test utility from the mixer to confirm that each speaker was connected to the correct audio channel. Position your speakers the best that you can according to your model's recommended configuration. If you can't get your speaker placement exactly right, Creative's mixer also comes with a Balance/Fade control to adjust your listening position relative to the speakers.

Configure Multichannel Support in Windows XP
Make sure you enable multichannel support within Windows XP. To do this, after installing your sound card and speakers:

Click Start, click Control Panel, click Sound, Speech, and Audio Devices, and then click Sounds and Audio Devices.

On Volume tab of the Sounds and Audio Devices dialog box, under Speaker settings, click Advanced.

On the Speakers tab, select your speaker configuration from the Speakers setup list, as shown in the figure below, click OK, and then click OK again.

*www.microsoft.com/library/media/1033/windowsxp/images/using/windowsmediaplayer/expert/ss_02.gif

source: *www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmediaplayer/expert/bridgman_03january07.mspx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom