Not finding success in my career

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bombla

Hi all,
I am Electronics engg in 2007. I have done embedded sys course. Since March 2008, I am jobless.
I missed out on nearly 4 companies: eInfochips, Reliance Comm, Varroc Engg, DG2L.
EInfochips: came during our course and I was not prepared. So can't comment on that.
Reliance: Made it through Apti+Technical test, GD but couldn't made it in interview. I don't know why they reject me in interview cause they didn't asked any technical questions though I was prepared for that. I guess I got less marks in GD.
Varroc: Cleared their Tech test and 1st round of interview. Though in 2nd intv, i failed. My 2nd one went good actually better than the 1st one. Just asked about Low Pass/Differentiator ckt and One C question. The other person who find 2nd interview difficult, was selected. His 1st went very good though.
Dg2L: Again cleared their Apti and C tech test. Unsuccess again in interview round. I can't figure out how they selected student. One of us freshers their, had knowledge of Java but not much in C. He couldn't answer questions on C. He got selected. I had mostly answer all questions. I was just uncomfortable in Semaphores and I told that frankly to them. I was really hoping to get a chance their...I did deserve to get a chance their.
I am losing myself everyday. I now know that selection depends mostly on luck.
I dont know what to do.

help

i m tryin 2 b normal..but i cant. i m nt feelin well in these rains. i m just hopeless. i m depressed. dont kno wht to do. i feel like crying..

Last edited by a moderator:

NikhilVerma

Padawan
First of all please STOP feeling that way, you are not the only person in this world who has issues.

Now the interview thing, This is something that many people have problems clearing.

Ask yourself a few questions

1. Is my English fluent enough ?
2. Do I "appear" like a confident person ?
3. If I answer something, am I able to convince the other person I speak well ?

And also from my personal experience I have following tips to give

1. Watch your body language, don't look petrified when you give your interview, be calm and relaxed and somewhat frank with the other person. If they find that the person is feeling scared in the interview then it's one of the turnoffs of interviewing.

2. If you don't know the answer, say it clearly and give a simple and believeable reason why. Most interviewers KNOW that you are a student and hence not expected to know everything

3. Have a professional look. A formal shirt tie jeans combo goes a long way.

4. You can always look into a mirror and talk, and see if you are really sounding fluent and convincing enough

So on and so forth, think you will find better answers on the internets

Bandu

Journeyman
^ I second these thoughts. Don't think that way. It's just part of life. Way back in 2001 / 2002 (during the US recession), I was in the same situation - much more worse. I failed in all of the 11 companies that came to campus. But I did not give up. I do not remember the sites now, but there are a lots that will help you prep for interviews and such.

And yes, mirror practice helps. It did work out for me. Also try seeking help from seniors / friends to conduct mock interviews for you.

I used to conduct interviews for my comp. back when I was in Mumbai. Technical or not, most interviewers don't look at what you know (coz. thats gonna be obsolete anyways down the line). What they look for is you ability to learn new things and take up new challenges. I don't know about others, but atleast, I would put candidates into such problems to analyze their "learn-ability".

As far as campus interviews go, it surprised me as well (back then) as to how companies favor someone over the other. Figured it out later that your rep with the profs and staff plays a big role here. It's not possible for companies to know you in a 30-60 minutes interview. They mostly rely on the profs recommendations.

All the best.

Bandu.

Last edited:

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Buddy don't b disheartened...............theres something good waiting 4 u surely..........

In my college campusing I had sit for atleast 30 companies but couldn't even clear apti anyone of them.........most of the time I was not serious or not prepared anough.........after passin out I sat for few offcampusing but result were same............my self confidence was doomed.......... everyone of my frnds were placed n I was seating at home..........I started to think about other opportunities (shops etc..........we are not rich enough n has a brother to brought up so.......)
Then came a off campusing of a very famous MNC...............I took it as a do or die..........gave my 100%..............passed Apti.......technical...........Hr and was selected..........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lets not bore u anymore............wat do u get from my story??
Take every opportunity as ur last one and put everythin in it...............u'll win..........

P.S. in this process don't expect any result................if ur expectations are not fulfilled u'll be hurt more.............

If I'm not wrong somewhere in Gita its written "Kam kiye ja fal ki asha mat kar" (or something like dat):D

Best of luck.....................

vilas_patil

Journeyman
Presently IT market is very tight, They have cut down their recruitment targets drastically, many of the companies are in the process of making lay offs.

Keep your mind cool, and keep applying where ever you find the opportunities.
Even I was a victim of 2001/2002 US recession. After One year of experience (our company was shutdown) I was doing nothing for almost 18 months, things were pathetic for me then.

One more thing.... Many of the time usually for off-campus selections HR is more keen on selecting people who are referred by Consultants (There is a personal gains to both of the parties). So try to go through the Local consultants.... may be it will help you.

Psychosocial

Violent serenity.
Hi all,
I am Electronics engg in 2007. I have done embedded sys course. Since March 2008, I am jobless.
I missed out on nearly 4 companies: eInfochips, Reliance Comm, Varroc Engg, DG2L.
EInfochips: came during our course and I was not prepared. So can't comment on that.
Reliance: Made it through Apti+Technical test, GD but couldn't made it in interview. I don't know why they reject me in interview cause they didn't asked any technical questions though I was prepared for that. I guess I got less marks in GD.
Varroc: Cleared their Tech test and 1st round of interview. Though in 2nd intv, i failed. My 2nd one went good actually better than the 1st one. Just asked about Low Pass/Differentiator ckt and One C question. The other person who find 2nd interview difficult, was selected. His 1st went very good though.
Dg2L: Again cleared their Apti and C tech test. Unsuccess again in interview round. I can't figure out how they selected student. One of us freshers their, had knowledge of Java but not much in C. He couldn't answer questions on C. He got selected. I had mostly answer all questions. I was just uncomfortable in Semaphores and I told that frankly to them. I was really hoping to get a chance their...I did deserve to get a chance their.
I am losing myself everyday. I now know that selection depends mostly on luck.
I dont know what to do.

help

i m tryin 2 b normal..but i cant. i m nt feelin well in these rains. i m just hopeless. i m depressed. dont kno wht to do. i feel like crying..

Man you aren't the only jobless person. Don't be so dissapointed. Look, I'm a 13yr. old kid and can't help you much except giving you support. Always be confident and remember "DON'T LOSE HOPE, IS THE MORAL OF THE STORY." :) Keep on trying and eventually, you will succeed. :)

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
I've never recruited for a company but I have been invited to sit in as an expert for my state's Public Service Commission on several occasions. In these interviews, I don't expect the applicant to know everything. I don't know everything either. What I look for is sincerity, confidence, willingness and ability to learn, and so on.

Bombla, the most important thing right now is to not lose heart. Tell yourself you can do it and will succeed one day because you will, if you keep on trying. Do not despair. Many, many others have gone through this phase. Some gave up, but those that did not eventually succeeded.

Remember that your education does not end when you graduate. Education is an ongoing process. Spend your jobless period improving your knowledge in your chosen field. Take it up as a hobby and try to do some practical projects - not necessarily big ones; start with something simple and gradually gain experience. The knowledge, experience and confidence you gain from that will go a long way towards helping you with the next interview.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
bleh.....IT jobs suck anyways.

as far as interviews goes,I have been in just one interview and i scored quite highly in that mainly cus I wasn't worried about the result and was confident enough(they aren't monsters afterall).

One thing I noticed though was that they weren't actually looking for the right answers and some of the questions they asked,I am sure they din't know answers of(It wasn't a technical interview BTW),all they were looking was how was I communicating with them.

Moral of the story:Don't feel sorry for yourself,I know the family and personal expectations can be high sometimes specially when you have sacrificed a lot of things in the past....*sigh*.....but life goes on and so must you.Give your 100% and don't care about results,all the loss is theirs either way,:p.and please stop looking\feeling pathetic.

BTW did I tell you IT jobs suck?oh yes!

raksrules

Youngling
Dude, don't get disheartened. I also flunked apti / interviews of 4-5 companies before getting my first job that too off campus. Failures are a part of life yaar. Currently me too going through a lean phase in my career. This year too my H1 Visa did not go through the crappy lottery system. You see this is the second time for me. Last year too it did not go through. :mad: I am now hoping to find an opportunity in some other location.

+1. I am myself in an IT company and i tell you it SUCKS big time. Although it gives you money but takes away your life (not literally i mean).

Yeh Job Jitna tumhe deta hai..... usse kahin zyaada tum se le leta hai :D

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
bleh.....IT jobs suck anyways.

as far as interviews goes,I have been in just one interview and i scored quite highly in that mainly cus I wasn't worried about the result and was confident enough(they aren't monsters afterall).

One thing I noticed though was that they weren't actually looking for the right answers and some of the questions they asked,I am sure they din't know answers of(It wasn't a technical interview BTW),all they were looking was how was I communicating with them.

Moral of the story:Don't feel sorry for yourself,I know the family and personal expectations can be high sometimes specially when you have sacrificed a lot of things in the past....*sigh*.....but life goes on and so must you.Give your 100% and don't care about results,all the loss is theirs either way,:p.and please stop looking\feeling pathetic.

Abey tu konsa interview diya be?

OP
B

bombla

Thank you guys for your support.

You will find this weird but the rains and the dark cloudy environment makes me more sick. I begin to curse myself.. I am not losing hopes but sometimes I doubt.

I will be going to a company that is providing kinda-internship. They are not going to pay me nor do I have to. They will give small projects to me and give guidance on that. They will give certificate after one month.
I am really hoping it will be good to myself.

raksrules

Youngling
Do keep us posted on your progress. Moreover some people from Think Digit can help you get a job in His/Her company.

nix

well i was think about the importance of marks to get that job in campus interview. i have heard conflicting views. i have scored in the 50s (%, in the first four semesters). i have decided to work from now on and score a better % in the nxt four sems. i talk reasonably well and am well dressed and i find non math problems easier. what are my chances. im in 5th sem now.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
well i was think about the importance of marks to get that job in campus interview. i have heard conflicting views. i have scored in the 50s (%, in the first four semesters). i have decided to work from now on and score a better % in the nxt four sems. i talk reasonably well and am well dressed and i find non math problems easier. what are my chances. im in 5th sem now.

hehe..Good Question..i think this thread has became a counseling thread...:D :D

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
nix:
Try to make it atleast 65%.............u'll b able to sit for most of the exams..........
get hold on any Programmin language..........C/Java...........if from IT/CSE..........
DataStructure, OS important topics, DBMS with SQL.........enough;)

raksrules

Youngling
Get your aggregate above 60%. Remember 59.9% is not 60%. I lost many chances of sitting in tests because of just 0.1% :mad:

->Learn a few basics of programming languages. Read Apti books like RS Aggarwal, If appearing for Infy, prepare from Shakuntala Devi Book.
->Present yourself as their future employee. Be Decent and well dressed.
->Never go over board
-> They will tell you to list your weakness. Dont be very honest in this. Try to project your strength as weakness.
-> Say No if you dont know the answer
-> Read something about the company for which your are going to appear in interview of.
-> Do not fake anything. These guys are smart. They can dig questions depending on what you have written in your resume
-> Resume should not be very long. The HR guys usually dont go beyond 2nd page of any resume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom