Not able to login into GNOME or KDE

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
I was not able to view my cddirve, so after some research i appended the following lines to fstab.

Code:
/dev/hdc /media/dvdrecorder udf ro,user,noauto,unhide 0 0
/dev/hdd /media/cdrecorder iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide,utf8 0 0
but then onwards i am not able to login to GNOME at all, even after I deleted those lines, I am still not able to login and getting return to the login Screen.

I am able to login throug "Root" and also able to login to my id from FVWM.

When I am trying to login from KDE, it is giving the following error message:

There was an error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list:
home/gomzy/.DCOPserver_linux-xqmk_20
Please check that "dcopserver" program is running.....

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
See the output of
Code:
ps auxw | grep dcopserver
if it doesn't show anything then press alt + ctrl + 2 and login at the terminal and type dcopserver. See if you can login then.
If it still doesn't work then remove the file home/gomzy/.DCOPserver_linux-xqmk_20.

Or you can do this from fvwm too. AFAIK, only KDe and GNOME use DCOP, for interprocess communication.

Last edited:
OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
thanx mehul - ya got it now, experimented with the fstab and corrupted the 2nd ext3 drive mount. had to update by booting from the dvd and that rectified the error. pls delete the post if you feel. i promise you will not experiment and panic till may end.

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
The problem resurfaced when i tired to change the fstab to mount the dvd rom automatically:

the following code
ps auxw | grep dcopserver

gives me the following output

username 4790 0.0 0.1 2856 720 pts/0 S+ 23:07 0:00 grep dcopserver

please help....

/usr/bin/iceauth: timeout in locking authority file home/username/.ICE authority
ICE connection rejected!

DCOPClient::attacheInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
ICE connection rejected

DCOPClient::attacheInternal. Attach failed Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols
SCOPServer self-test failed
^Xiceauth: timeout in locking authrity file /home/gomzy/.ICEauthority

SOS...

Last edited:

mehulved

dcopserver isn't running again.
Also, paste or upload your /etc/fstab file and the output of
Code:
su
fdisk -l

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
This is the etc/fstab

Code:
/dev/sda7            /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/sda8            /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/sda2            /windows/C           ntfs-3g       rw,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/sda5            /windows/D           ntfs-3g       rw,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/sda6            swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
when i entered the code kwrite/ etc/fstab it fist gave the error box as in the first post and then on the terminal as in the 3rd post last portion (i.e same as if i would have typed "dcopserver"

fdisk -l gives me the list of partitions, i am not able to copy in the FVWM

the /home/gomzy(username)/.dcopserver file has vanished and able to login in my name into the GNOME.

why is it happening every time I am trying to edit the /etc/fstab so that i can browse the DVDs.

Currently I am not able to browse any dvds or cds, just can load the Open SuSE. there is no Icon anywhere.

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
Give us your edited fstab. You seem to be making some mistakes in editing it and hence corrupting the file system.

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
do you mean after i put the code for mounting the dvd?

otherwise it is there in the previous post. that is the last i took after i put one line for the mounting the dvd every time boot, however it did not work, so i removed it then i immediately reboot to see if the problem in the first post occurs again and yes.

whenever i am putting any line and then when it is not working i am removing the lines it is getting corrupted

mehulved

Do you leave a line at the end of the file? AFAICR, it's important to do so, that maybe causing the problem also. But, unless if you show the full fstab which is causing problems, it isn't exactly possible to pin point anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom