Norton Ghost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishan

In the zone
How to use Norton GHost 10.0

Well I want to completely Back up my C: drive.

So that when I format C:
then instead of installing Win XP..
I can directly apply this back up..
And my PC starts as it is when I did the back up.

I heared that this process will not take much time...than installing everything again and even my files will be saved.

OP
Ishan

Ishan

In the zone
Ok
Saw the tutorial and knew how to create Back up....
But the problem is..
When I'll format C: drive then How to restore this back up
from dos?

Raaza

Journeyman
I'm using norton ghost for past two years with bootable floppy disc.
later I burned a bootable cd containing ghost.exe

we can backup and restore easily with this disc evenafter format the partition, provided u should create backup file in any other partition than in c:

it is with earlier version of ghost, I don't familiar with latest versions

Needless to say that ghost is very very useful and fast in performance.

also u can make backups and restore them in win xp too, not as fast and convenient as ghost.

iinfi

mekalodu
@Raaza how to do it in XP????

can we make a bootable CD with all the applications in it

OP
Ishan

Ishan

In the zone
Ya i wanted to ask the same? ...how to do that...like the one PC vendors do with new hard disks...

Raaza

Journeyman
There's a utilty in Win Xp that helps us to make backup and restore files, even partitions. u can see it in system tools>backup which provides backup option with floppy disc too, if u formatd the drive then u can use this floppy to restore the backups,
while install win xp with bootable disc, which prompts us to restore with automated system recovery console,
But it takes too much time and space compared to ghost
pls have a look at the system tools>backup for more information.

thnx

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Ishan said:
How to use Norton GHost 10.0

Well I want to completely Back up my C: drive.

So that when I format C:
then instead of installing Win XP..
I can directly apply this back up..
And my PC starts as it is when I did the back up.

I heared that this process will not take much time...than installing everything again and even my files will be saved.

I would recommend using Acronis True Image. I have been using both Norton Ghost v 2003 and Acronis and I prefer Acronis as it has the ability to create bootbale media with a CD R/RW unlike Norton that asks for a bootable floppy.Floppy cannot be depended these days.So i request u to use Acronis True Image Home Edition.If u want i can publish a tutorial too.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
I personally use Acronis True Image Home.
Its very light and hv many options.
U can create backup CD/DVD and there is an option to make this CD/DVD bootable, so that U just need to insert the CD/DVD in drive and can restore the windows very easily!
And as dIgItaL_BrAt said, it can also create a partition which allows to start Acronis at boot time and in this case we even don't need bootable CD/DVD. U can create a backup on HDD and at the time of restoration, simply boot into acronis partition and give the path of backup file! :D

OP
Ishan

Ishan

In the zone
@all
Thank you very much for so much good response.
@techtronic..
Ya I'll Install Acronis Image today and uninstall Ghost

SO Pls provide me with the tutorial...and u know what I want right..
I'll be very thankfull
Well Post it in tutorials Section.OK I'll wait..
Thank You very much!

janitha

Wise Old Owl
From where can I buy Acronis True Image Home and how much it will cost?

I can buy online, but not international sites.

Raaza

Journeyman
hi,
I installed Acronis True Image Home 9.0
not able to decide which one is better ie, ghost or acronis.
anyway can anyone give me a link to the tutorial sections of the acronis?
when my file system was FAT32 I had used a bootable CD to restore the Ghost image. and the same was successful too.
Now I converted my file system from FAT32 to NTFS, then how can I restore the ghost image in dos mode? for your information I burned a cd myself for system recovery purpose which includes ghost.exe, partition magic, maxtor hdd tools, etc etc with the help of win 98 startup disk.
Being my file system is NTFS I can't read my drives with the aforesaid "self made" Bootable CD in dos mode.
Is there any way to read and restore my drive images in dos mode?

OR

Can I restore Acronis images of HDD partitions in DOS mode ? file system is NTFS
I can't see any tutorial regarding this in Acronis, but ghost provides some tutorials.

please help me.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
IMHO, Acronis is far better than Norton Ghost!

U can create a bootable CD in acronis, so u can boot using that CD and simply tell it ur backed-up file location to restore the system.

To create the CD: Tools -> Create Bootable Rescue Media.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Don't know exactly coz I don't use it! But I read somewhere that Norton Ghost comes with a bootable CD and afaik there is no option in the application to create a bootable CD, but I'm not sure!

din

Tribal Boy
nil_3 said:
Is it possible to create a bootable CD in Norton Ghost 10?

If your copy is original, you will have the product CD which is boot as well as install disk. You can use the same to boot and then restore image.
Vishal Gupta said:
Don't know exactly coz I don't use it! But I read somewhere that Norton Ghost comes with a bootable CD and afaik there is no option in the application to create a bootable CD, but I'm not sure!
Yes, u r right, theres no option for making a boot disk in norton ghost. The original (product CD) disk is bootable and we can restore images by booting from that. For older versions of ghost (like 8 or 2003) theres option to create boot floppy, we can use those boot floppy to make bood cd.
Vishal Gupta said:
IMHO, Acronis is far better than Norton Ghost!
Acronis True Image and Ghost latest versions (ver > 8 ) use the win GUI, thats creatin images on the fly, no need to go to DOS mode (older versions of ghost uses DOS). It is quite impressive but when I did a search in various forums, majority says - Old is gold ! I mean DOS mode is safer / better. They explained a lot but didn't understand much, will go through it again and will post more soon.
Raaza said:
There's a utilty in Win Xp that helps us to make backup and restore files, even partitions.
The Win XP system restore and ghost/true image are entirely different things. The requirement, use and other functions are al different.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom