northwood / prescott ..... confused....

Status
Not open for further replies.

caeser

Right off the assembly line
Hi !
I am planning to buy a new computer ..... the following is my proposed configuration :-

Intel Pentium 2.4 Ghz-
Intel D865GBF Motherboard
GeForce FX 5200 - 128 MB
512 MB DDR RAM (400mhZ)
HDD : 120 GB Seagate - 7200 RPM
SoundCard :Creative Soundblaster 5.1 DE
DVD ROM : Benq DVP - 1648A
CD - RW : ASUS 4816A
Monitor : LG Studioworks 17" (700S)
Speakers: Artis 5880 - 4.1
Keyboard and mouse : Logitech

As u can see i am very budget conscious and i have chosen value for money products.

The problem is , I asked my vendor for the above configuration ....
and he says that he has the Pentium 4 Prescott 2.4Ghz and that D865GBF motherboard does not support 2.4ghz PRESCOTT.... whereas "Intel pentium 4 2.4Ghz HT" supports the D865GBF whose production has now stopped.......... he also says that there are no motherboards for PRESCOTT 2.4 which support AGP 8x..... and hence he is suggesting me to buy 3 Ghz with the D865GBF (which supports AGP 8x) .... but is more expensive.....

Is it true that the D865GBF chipset does not support PRESCOTT ?? If so , can someone suggest a good motherboard(Value for money) for the PRESCOTT 2.4ghz which supports AGP 8x ??
also , what is the differrence between prescott , northwood and HT ??

Help in any way would be greatly appreciated ,

thanks,

Vishal

imgame

Broken In
the older ones are called northwood ....and the newer ones are called prescott diffrence being : 90 Nm process, 1 MB L2 cache rather than 512 KB, the L1 data cache that was doubled to 16 KB, 13 new instructions referred to as SSE3 and the new pipeline that was extended from 20 to 31 stages, officially part of Intel's NetBurst architecture. and as a matter of fact both of them supports hyperthreading ....it is nothing but having two logical processors for processing despite of having one physical processor...........intel introduced prescott for better performance for higher cpu frquencies but failed to provide ..that ..in some case nothwood ...beats prescott .....but northwood are rare to find these days...

Well i really don't know whether intel D865 GBF mobo supports prescotts or not ....but motherboards based on 865 chipsets have support for it .Esply mobos from asus,gigabyte,MSI all have support so u can buy any one of them esply neo platinum series from from MSI was cool though i don't know about its price now !.....but i think it iwll be worth buying still for its feature and performance and ur need !:)

theraven

Technomancer
if u are sooo budget conscious go for the 845 chipset instead
or even better get an amd rig .... u wont regret it
dunno abt support ... but yeah 865 chip is HTY support ... and yeah 2.4 with ht has stopped ...

G

gxsaurav

He is making U fool, 865GBF support the Prescott, do not go for Prescott it's really hot over northwood while the performance difference is not good either

Go for a 2.8 GHz Northwood , HT with 865GBF, 2.4HT are out of market now, & also they are not made anymore, but 2.8 are still in the market, 3 GHz is useless for budget

or U can go for a AMD64 2800+ with Asus K8V, the combo costs about 15K, about the same price of 2.8HT+865GBF

OP
C

caeser

Right off the assembly line
theraven said:
dunno abt support ... but yeah 865 chip is HTY support ... and yeah 2.4 with ht has stopped ...

I would'nt mind going for the 845 chipset ... but none of their motherboards support 8x .... D 845 GVSR supports AGP 4x ... so i will have to run my 8x geforce at 4x config....

my budget is about 8 to 9k max (processor + mobo) ... can anyone suggest a good combination of processor and motherboard ( with 8x support ofcourse) ......

thanx guys ...

Vishal

darklord

Cyborg Agent
caeser said:
theraven said:

I would'nt mind going for the 845 chipset ... but none of their motherboards support 8x .... D 845 GVSR supports AGP 4x ... so i will have to run my 8x geforce at 4x config....

my budget is about 8 to 9k max (processor + mobo) ... can anyone suggest a good combination of processor and motherboard ( with 8x support ofcourse) ......

thanx guys ...

Vishal

You can opt for Asrock 845 chipset board with Prescott support & AGP 8X + onboard grafix.
It has a special grafix card slot called AGI, generally all cards work with it but some card might have problem.

You can mate this board with 2.4 Prescott,mind you that this cpu doesnt have HT and works at 533 FSB but has 1 MB L2 cache.

Board= 2400
CPU =5750
Total = 8150/-
This is well inside your specified budget. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom