Nokia N72 doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

comrade

foreign return(0)
I bought this fone for 9.6k from wavetelmobiles last friday. Actually it was a last time decision that i switched my mind from buying E50.The phone is looking good and serving all my needs. One of review on net about n72 says symbian 8.1 runs applications intended for both 2nd edition and 3rd edition(9.1?).

I just want to confirm whether i can install the symbian 9.1 apps on n72?

OP
comrade

comrade

foreign return(0)
This was quoted in gsmarena
*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n72-review-105p3.php

Nokia N72 runs on Symbian 8.1 with 2.8th edition of the Series 60 user interface. This transitional edition is between the 2.5th and 3rd editions of the UI. It has features from both of them and can be considered as the last rehearsal before the 3rd edition.

Pathik

Google Bot
Yup it has some features similar to os9.1 ie v3 like standby apps and all but it CANT run os9.1 apps..

OP
comrade

comrade

foreign return(0)
pathiks said:
Yup it has some features similar to os9.1 ie v3 like standby apps and all but it CANT run os9.1 apps..

what does it mean? will it be possible to run atleast few apps if at all not the all 9.1 apps

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
comrade said:
This was quoted in gsmarena
*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n72-review-105p3.php

Nokia N72 runs on Symbian 8.1 with 2.8th edition of the Series 60 user interface. This transitional edition is between the 2.5th and 3rd editions of the UI. It has features from both of them and can be considered as the last rehearsal before the 3rd edition.
If you read it properly, it just says that it is a transitional edition between 2.5 and 3. No mention about application support. Just a few features which were upgraded later in v3.

And S60v3, broke compatibility with the previous editions. Not a bad choice, but you should have consulted the forum, E50 should have been a arguably better choice.

OP
comrade

comrade

foreign return(0)
ya..i know..e50 has got better os..but on the day..the shopkeeper gave me both the fones to have a look..e50 looks very cheap got smaller screen comparitively...the cause for my transition from e50 to n72

Akshay

Cyborg Agent
Wud stil stick to N72 for its looks, camera n usability n no. of applications available for it. Agree dat E50 is bettr in a few departments but overall N72 wins 4 me.

oval_man

Journeyman
OS 8.1 is far better than OS 9.1 or 9.2!

For most of the applications,you have to get 'Developer's Certificate' from Symbian Signed,which is a horrible experience! Adding pain to it is the certificate will expire in 6 months and you have to renew it.

With so many complications in 9.1,it is better to go ahead with Nokia N72!

REMEMBER! IN A RECENT SURVEY BY A LEADING MOBILE SHOP IN CHENNAI SHOWED "N72" IS THE ONLY PHONE WITH MINIMUM COMPLAINTS! SERVICE DEPT RARELY GETS 'N72' FOR ANY DEFAULT!

Be happy with N72, a great phone at a great price!

Some amazing software like "TimeTool" are available only for OS7 & 8!

So,DON'T WORRY! BE HAPPY!

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ os9.1 is far more advanced than os8.1..
and the dev cert is just a security feature... it takes just a minute to sign any app..

alsiladka

Noobie Pro
9.1 is much better, you are getting new and amazing softwares day by day. It has more apis, so it is bound to get better softwares than 8.1.

And the security certificate is the reason there are not viruses on 9.1

assasin

Banned
after using any OS9.x fone u'll never wanna go back to any older os (OS 8.1,7.1....).the integrated browser of OS9.x fones just rock.i like it better than Opera 8.65.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
I want to .. i miss apps. like PowerMP3 , a fully workin FE Explorer , and custom extensions :( ... OS9.1 sucks when it comes to application compatibility .. OS8.1 rockz !!

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ yup.. And its download manager rocks too..
Btw the release of opera mini 4 betas made the webkit browser a bit insignificant

ksundar

Broken In
Recent os9.1/9.2 r meant for developers.
End users r benefitted from well studied & experimented os like 7 or 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom