Nokia 8800

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
No idea about price and availability but I don't think that it's worth buying. Consider the shortcomings:

- Only 0.5MP camera
- No expandable memory and internal memory is just 64MB
- Weak 600mAh battery
- EDGE/GPRS is just class 8

I'm sure this phone will cost upwards of 20k which makes it not worth buying. You would be better off buying something like a 6680 which offers way more features at a lower price.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Nokia 8800 have a VGA cam only . Also no memory slot . The design is also not good (IMO), simple without any exclusiveness.

But performance wise, it's good, see if you like it and dont mind some of the features, it dont offers, then you can get this phone. Go for this phone only if it has the features you look for.

I am sure it's not available as yet here. Some 10 days back only I visited Nokia priority showroom, and they dint have the set as yet.

As for the price, I dont think it will cost more than 17-18k.

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
It is an SVGA cam grudge, not just VGA ;)

Design-wsie, I feel it's pretty good. But it is also heavy at 134g. I just checked IndiaGSM and they list it at Rs. 38,500. Besides, Nokia India lists it as a new release so I Guess it's out already. It cannot be as low as 17-18k man! It has a stainless steel body, laser-cut curves, a screen made of reinforced glass, 3D Image Engine, etc. Furthermore, the sales package is supposed to include a Headset, a Desk Stand, A carrying pouch and 2 batteries.

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
LOL.. I never checked Indiagsm :D

I knew it had stainless steel body but never knew abt the other stuffs. I thought 17-18k keeping the features and stuffs it offers. If it's gonna be more than 22-23k, dont buy it :p

Did you take a look as how it looks? Whats the use of stainless steel body, laser-cut curves, a screen made of reinforced glass, 3D Image Engine and other fancy stuffs if the design is not good? Lol even 9500 costs only 34k at Nokia priority shops.

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
Camera in the phone is something I really don't care. I have a DigiCam capable of capturing far better images ;)

As for price, if its 34-35K, I am surely not taking it. I have better things to do with that amount of money :)

Non-expandable memory is surely a drawback. I had a look at 6680, I didn't like it much. Anyway, I will have a look at it again. But Nokia should update its phone compare pages as soon as it announces a model. The pages are quite outdated.

Thank you so much for your views. :)

dreams

Gracias Senor
Nokia 8800 is a very cool phone with slidin keypads and a coooool design.. a stainless steel body and its very heavy..

its actual price is 42K and it now avail in Nokia Priority Showrooms.. I personally handled the phone and its really cool.. But cost wise its very high..

OP
tuxfan

tuxfan

Technomancer
I went y'day and saw the dummy piece. Its for 41K :roll: Quite heavy too!! I asked the dealer for the features that justify the price and even he told me to go for another model :lol: Its not worth it!! I feel N90 would be much better piece.

kumarmohit

Technomancer
Looks apart 8800 is not a symbian based smartfone which really limits its value for money at anythin above 10000 Rs.

freezer

Journeyman
well You can go for Nokia 6230i which has the same software as 8800 but also additional features such as 1.3 MP camera, memory card slot, EDGE class 10.
And all above features at less then half price

devilhead_satish

In the zone
The only great feature about it is that its ringtones are composed by some Jap composer who is supposed to be world famous. Forgot his name, Jap names are supposed to be really tough to pronunce, right?!?!? Ha Ha. Also the slider is really smooth. One more feature might be that u can throw the phone at your enemy to really hurt them.(Aim at the head and scream "HeadShot").
I suggest u dump the thought of buying this phone and buy the 6680 instead. Its atlest VFM. The 7710 is good too. This 8880 has too few features. Reccomended for those who are show offs.

moshel

Padawan
dreams said:
Nokia 8800 is a very cool phone with slidin keypads and a coooool design.. a stainless steel body and its very heavy..

its actual price is 42K and it now avail in Nokia Priority Showrooms.. I personally handled the phone and its really cool.. But cost wise its very high..

last i heard it was 35k looks really nice though

on ebay the higher price is rs. 49995.......lol

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
well it is priced to attract the corporate segment..it is a business class phone. and i guess business men dont use camera often. thats the reason its got a VGA. the crystal screen is scratch proof and the entire body is tuf design for wear and tear. it is launched at 42k. in a matter of months it will come down to as low as 15k. as far a features are concerned..it is not symbian..coz biz ppl dont fiddle with their phone..they just need the stlye and looks to pride about carrying a 42k phone in hand.
not worth for geeks and nerds and students.
not even worth a test ride for us..

gdatuk

Ambassador of Buzz
Differences from Nokia 6230i

Both devices are built on the platform 40 version 2 but provide different functionality, differ greatly. If such comparisons appeared on the net, we'll give a complete list of differences to inform our readers and avoid wrong estimate.

* Colour depth in the Nokia 8800 - 18 bit (262000 K), against 16 bit for the Nokia 6230i (65000 K). This partly explains the productivity fall.
* Bluetooth 1.2 with stereo sound transmission in the Nokia 8800. All the profiles for both models are equal as well as their possibilities.
* IrDA, synchronization via USB-cable for the Nokia 6230i. Principally, creating a cable fort the Nokia 8800 is possible, there is an interface connector under the battery (remember the Nokia 3310 cables). The other point is a cable won't be demanded for this model much, no sense in making them.
* Mono output on the Nokia 8800, impossibility to listen to the radio n stereo mode and using stereo earphones
* Memory card in the Nokia 6230i
* Different battery life, shorter for the Nokia 8800
* EDGE/GPRS in Nokia 8800 class 8, against class 10 in the Nokia 6230i
* SXGA-camera against a 1.3 megapixel in the Nokia 6230i
* Push to Talk in the Nokia 6230i
* Side volume buttons in the Nokia 6230i
* Java-application size for the Nokia 6230i forms 512 KB and for the Nokia 8800 it is 100 KB
* Impossibility to transfer Java-applications directly to the Nokia 8800, only using Nokia PC Suite
* Video as a screen saver for all the software versions in the Nokia 8800 (in the Nokia 6230i starting with the 3.23)
* Separate menu item for received files (doesn't work on the 3.2 software version, all the files get into the root folder)
* List with users names in the Message menu (the numbers from the last SMS/MMS get there)
* A new call log ideology is applied - the same numbers are not kept and the old entry is placed up. That is for instance, you have a call on the 5 of June to the number 008800, the recurring call to the same number will be written into the list, but the previous entry will disappear. Entries of the 5 of June before this call and after it will remain. That is a dubious attempt to make the list renewable. Not everybody will like this innovation.
* No evident support for MPEG4

There are many differences and the changes are dubious. But considering the fashion component of the Nokia 8800, we can bravely forget all the differences, since the device is interesting for absolutely other characteristics, namely the design, material, price and the brand name. So, having described the differences we can pass to the main functions with a peaceful conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom