Noise from my comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramprasad

In the zone
Hi guys,

Off late, I installed a new Sony DVD ROM on my comp...
I found that, there is some kind of noise like vrooooooooom coming from my comp. I am not able to judge what is wrong....?

May be SMPS or from HDD or from the newly installed DVD ROM....!

Suggestions will be appreciated.....

Regards,
Ramprasad

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
check your fan's noise in the BIOS mode first. HDD doesnt make vroom, it makes some kinda clicking noise so not a hdd problem. Its your ROM i think its vibrating or maybe running at a high speed, check its connections and tighten them if loose.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
SONY, in its manual says this:
The Drive may sound like "shahhh..." while starting up because of the balls in the ABS (Auto Balance System) spindle motor. It's a normal state.
Source: SONY Manual

If the noise doesnt sound like this, then please check the SMPS and fans :)

Cheers n e-peace.....

janitha

Wise Old Owl
ashu888ashu888 said:
SONY, in its manual says this:
The Drive may sound like "shahhh..." while starting up because of the balls in the ABS (Auto Balance System) spindle motor. It's a normal state.
Source: SONY Manual

If the noise doesnt sound like this, then please check the SMPS and fans :)

Cheers n e-peace.....
Most likely, it is the DVD. My relatively new Sony 810A makes such noise but only occasionally and for short duration. And it works fine.

V.Prem Kumar

mvishnu

Broken In
check if any wire is coming in contact with the smps / processor fans... That's what happened to me last time

OP
ramprasad

ramprasad

In the zone
I had not fastened the CD drives with screws earlier, I did it and still the prob continues...

According to SONY manual, the drive doesnt stop the sound just after booting... It continues...

Will be checking today with SMPS...?

adi87

Journeyman
What can tell you from my experience is ---->

Screw tightly your cabinet ( the sides i mean)
adn the noise is related to the SMPS or the FAN

Vyasram

The pWnster
Just unplug the hdd and optical drives and boot the system with the cabinet removed if u are experienced in assembling. If the sound is from smps, get it serviced(dont repair it urself). (I had this problem too and i got rid of it when my cousin inserted a screwdriver into the system fan) Dont try it anyway

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Vyasram said:
Just unplug the hdd and optical drives and boot the system with the cabinet removed if u are experienced in assembling. If the sound is from smps, get it serviced(dont repair it urself). (I had this problem too and i got rid of it when my cousin inserted a screwdriver into the system fan) Dont try it anyway

Do you mean to use some other boot device? ie. without HDD and Optical.
And what do you mean by solving it using screwdriver?
Or are you joking?

V.Prem Kumar

Vyasram

The pWnster
I was asking him not ot boot , but to run the system with just the motherboard,processor and ram. The pc wd then say a error message that there is no boot device. But that's the way to find whether the sound is coming from the smps or not.

AS for the screwdriver incident. the sound comes when the smps fan is scratching some wires, I blive my cousin untangled them by inserting the screwdriver inside. And thus it got solved:)

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Vyasram said:
I was asking him not ot boot , but to run the system with just the motherboard,processor and ram. The pc wd then say a error message that there is no boot device. But that's the way to find whether the sound is coming from the smps or not.

AS for the screwdriver incident. the sound comes when the smps fan is scratching some wires, I blive my cousin untangled them by inserting the screwdriver inside. And thus it got solved:)

Yes, now it is clear but in the first post your sentences were confusing.
I think by opening the side panel of the cabinet and booting up he may be able to figure out from where the sound is originating. And then tidying up all the wires and cables first.

V.Prem Kumar

shakti

Journeyman
if u still facing the problem then try that one with another cpu (may be of any relative or Friend).

OP
ramprasad

ramprasad

In the zone
I disconnected the power supply and IDE cables from the ROM drives and booted, still the noise persists.

I think it shud be from SMPS or the fan on top of P4 processor... I am not able to make it out correctly....

I think there is some loose connection in the fan above the processor. Can I try to fix it myself or take it to a pro... Suggest........!

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
The best bet is p4 heat sink fan,that is what it is making so much noise.
happens on my pc too,sometimes on starting for he first 10/15 seconds iot makes this noise,but then calms down,and again makes the noise in CPU intensive application/usage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom