No Scandisk Taking Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

expertno.1

Technomancer
if i directly turn off the computer and boot it again then the scandisk doesn't takes place

why is this so

about three to four times it happened yesterday that my ups went wrong and my comp was directly turned off but the scandisk is not taking place n startup

* i have not tweaked my system
* its Winxp sp2

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
If u have NTFS drives then these scandisks will take place rarely only in case of a disk error

*www.auditmypc.com/acronym/NTFS.asp

NTFS is the Windows NT file system. Unlike FAT, NTFS does not use an allocation table but stores information about any file directly with the file. Other operating systems, including Windows 95, and many applications, such as ScanDisk, cannot read NTFS partitions. However, NTFS files or folders that are shared on a network can be accessed by other operating systems. Advantages of NTFS over FAT include faster access to files, more efficient information storage (for example, through a smaller cluster size), better data recovery, integrated file compression, larger disk partitions, and better file security. NTFS is preferred for Windows NT Server because of its better security and fault tolerance features. NTFS partitions also remain relatively unfragmented for long periods of time. A more detailed definition can be found here.

Also if u read the NTFS feature of winxp help, it says that there will be a less chance of using scandisk thnx to new filesystem capablities by using some minidump or something...

Here :
If your volume is formatted as NTFS, Windows automatically logs all file transactions, replaces bad clusters, and stores copies of key information for all files on the NTFS volume.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
For Issues relating to Auto start of Scandisk check this page *support.microsoft.com/?kbid=831426

Check whether your registry has that entry mentioned or not. If not then add the entry mentioned into that key.

swatkat

Technomancer
Go to Command Prompt, (Start > Run and type cmd and press ENTER). Here in the Command Prompt, type chkntfs /d and press ENTER key. Then restart the PC, ScanDisk "should" take place now!

(chkntfs command also works for FAT32 drives)

digen

Youngling
@crashuniverse
Mate the solution to the problem has already been given.Moreover you have provided the same solution as swatkat.

From hereafter I'll consult with other mods & we'll straight away delete posts which are repetative & dont add anything to solve the problem at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom