no scandisk even if in case of power failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raaza

Journeyman
hi guys,
here I'm facing a new problem(?) that my pc doesn't perform scandisk when rebooting after a power failure or after pressing the reboot button.

Hence sometimes pc gets down very slow

where can I find the settings for automatic scandisk in case of sudden power failure?

File system is NTFS for all the partitions.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
You can try this:

Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In right-side pane, change the value of BootExecute to:

autocheck autochk *

champ_rock

champ_rock
i am also facing the same problem.. in my case, the registry value is already "autocheck autochk *".. still it does not scan automatically... what should i do?

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
No need to go to registry. Just go to cmd prompt and type in
Code:
chkdsk /F /R /V c:
Say 'y' to check on next boot and you get a chkdsk on next boot.

OP
R

Raaza

Journeyman
Vishal Gupta said:
You can try this:

Open regedit and goto:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager

In right-side pane, change the value of BootExecute to:

autocheck autochk *

I did so,

But the problem is still there,
is there any other methods?

saROMan

QA Juggler
"Scandisk doesn't exist in NT based systems. XP uses CHKDSK, and there's no easy way to automate it via a script. If a disk/partition/volume is in use, it will have to be dismounted. For your system drive, this usually means that it has to be done after a reboot. Open a command prompt and type CHKDSK /? for the command line options."

here are some solutions

Inside of Windows you can also go to the Command Promt and type chkdsk or chkdsk/r

OR

without any windows gui restart press F8 select safemode with command prompt. CD c:\ [enter]
C:\chkdsk /r [enter]
the "r" repairs :)

OR

go into my computer and right click on the drive u want to scandisc....a box will pop up....u want to click the tools tab....click error checking....check the two boxes that are there....and click start....it will tell you that it will run scandisc on the next start up....i cant find another way to do it but to restart the pc and then it will do it for you automatically...hope this helps ya. :D

__Virus__

Ambassador of Buzz
just a thought/question, does ntfs partitions need scanning? to what I remember I never saw a scan after a crash/manual reboot being executed on Xp/NTfs

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
o.0 Is my previous reply not visible to anyone?

@__Virus__
Ntfs can become corrupted just like fat though some times chkdsk don't run. To know if your partition has some corruption, either schedule a chkdsk on next boot or try to run defrag on that partition. Disk Defrag will tell you if the partition needs to be chkdsked or not.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
AFAIK, NTFS doesnot require a chkdsk frequently. NTFS maintains a journal of all files, if anything goes wrong, it jumps back the bad file from the journal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom