No POST ,no booting after attaching a 2nd IDE HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Title says it all!!
My friends PC config is :
AMD 3000+ 939 pin, MSI RS 480M2IL , 1 GB RAM, GeForce6600 GT, 120 GB Seagate Barracudda (IDE) (as Pri Master).
My HDD is Seagate 80 GB Baracudda.
As soon as I attach my HDD to My Friends PC's Primary Slave Ide Cable, It doesn't POST (or boot)!!!
even without the ide cable, only attaching the power supply cable gives the same prob. No POST!
I hv tried exchanging the power cables, ide ports (pri master, slave , 2ndary pri,slave) etc. No Luck.
Help me ?

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
There is only one apparent reason. the HDD u are adding is *SHORTING* the power rails(the 12v and 5v ones). and when there is a short circuit the SMPS switchoff to avoid damage to itself and other devices.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Either the HD is shorting the power rails, or Is the HD in good condition & working
properly? You may also check your SMPS. Regarding SMPS, what @Rollercoaster
told is true. An SMPS is an electronic power supply unit that incorporates a
switching regulator in order to stabilise the output voltage.

Eazy

Journeyman
If both HDDs are being attached to computer at same time make sure one is jumpered as the Master drive and the other as the Slave. Also if both HDD are being connected at same time maybe the SMPS cannot handle the extra load of the second HDD. What is the SMPS ? Have you tried connecting one drive at a time ?

Last edited:

arijit basu

Broken In
even that single HDD does not work,,but mine does,,but we know that the 2nd one is in perfect good condition,,at least it was ..yesterday..
and the SMPS is 400 watts colorsit..why cant it take this load?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
i think u pluged wrong wire from cabinet thinking of hdd.can u post some pics of via a mobile(now days u can arrange a camera for a shot).

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
if there is no post(no beeps either and no video) then definately ur PSU is shorting out by the hdd.If this is true then none of ur leds,fans etc should work too.

here is what u should do. connect a multimeter to the pins of a free molex connector and watch the voltage. if u dont have a multimeter then attach two LEDS is serial between the yellow and black wire. just twist one leg of led with the alternate one of the second and insert the remaning 2 legs into the molex connector. If there is no short circuit and the PSU is fine then when u press the power button the leds will glow.
alsi see if the PSU fan switchs on or not.

Last edited:
OP
Thor

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
There is NO POST . So I wonder ? Why mY HDD will Short the PSU but not arijit's ? His is 120 GB seagate , Mine 80 GB seagate ?
We have checked using Single HDD @ a time. As soon as my HDD is connected, no POST.
And yes we r connecting the correct cable. Me and arijit atleast hv this much funda : which cable to connect where. So this problem is really confusing me.

OP
Thor

Thor

Ambassador of Buzz
Ok. Now I'am really freaked...
My Own PC, has a Sata 1 HDD (80 GB seagate) . Now when I'am connecting my HDD to my PC it not POST ing ??
Is something wrong with my 80 GB IDE HDD ?
Damn. Any Ideas Why it is happening even @ my Home PC ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom