No distro seem to work on my graphic card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
I am not new to linux world but i use only in graphical mode for light use and never use texdt or command mode.
I recently added a graphics card to my system and no linux distro work on it.

my configuration is :

Asrock p4i45 GV 5.0 MOBO ( intel 845 chipset )
petium 4 -- 2.0 ghz processor
512 MB RAM ( two sticks of 256 mb each)
samsung sync master 773 s monitor

and lastly the AGP card 8x
Palit nvidia geforce 4 MX 4000

before adding AGP card all distros work perfectly but after that nothing work..
so i format my harddisk and then install again
i install
win 98 ( 25 GB)
back up ( 25 GB)
and the remaining space is for linux

now the problem
I disable Internal VGA from BIOS and Enable AGP card ( only 1 can be enabled at a time), so i connect my monitor to agp card as it was working fine.
i installed win 98 fine and no problem was there. and then i decide to install linux.
fedora core5 ,open suse 10.1, ubuntu ; they all hangs at a point after 2 min.
and give graphic error code like
{ 30 20 ff 223 90 ....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... ff ee 30 40 90}
something like above on black screen .
then i choose mandrake 10.1 and it install flawlessly and prompt me to configure graphics ; it said two cardds r detected intel 845 and nvidia geforce 4 ( generic drivers ) ; i choose nvidia and click on 'test' and it worked . after that click 'ok' and then 'reboot '...
But after rebooting i get the same above mentioned error . and no distro is working . i have also tried some live cd such as knopix , gentoo but all give same error.
if i disable AGP card in bios and then enable Internal VGA then they all works and there is no problem.
Also my AGP card is not bad as it is working perfectly in windows..
plz solve my problem ( as soon as possible) plz plz plz plz
i want a linux distro dual boot with my windows ...
Any solution with any distro
the iron point is that my graphic card is listed to be supported with all of them.

praka123

left this forum longback
complete yo install using vesa driver

My suggestion is use Ubuntu edgy or debian sid.firstly,complete your install using vesa driver.that is select vesa as your grafix driver.vesa is a standard for video card manufacturers,it will support all cards,though no dri supports etc.
after installing re-configure your Xorg for nvidia support.you can download nvidia propreitory drivers from their site.you can disable your intel onboard card may be from bios.

OP
A

Akhil Jain

Journeyman
yes , i have disable my intel onboard from bios . and does that vesa driver will be in mandrake or suse.

and what to do if the error comes before the installation starts like in open suse 10.1 , i can not even reach to the point where partitions are defined

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
some distros like linux-mint may have nvidia drivers already available.but vesa is enough for u to get a GUI
select vesa driver while installing most distros allows selecting which driver for GFX.
and u can use text mode to complete your install in all distros.if it hangs!
some distros do contains all those drivers.but nvidia afaik got an open driver in its inital stages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom