No boot menu at Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

q3_abhi

Youngling
I had Windows 98 on C: n Windows XP on D:

Now i have formatted C: (of Win98) n re-installed Win98 on it.

Now at the startup i don get that boot menu, it directly starts Windows 98

I tried to add a boot.ini file in C: which i had backed up before formatting.
But in vain. :cry:

Now how can i get that boot menu again?????

Sourabh

Laptoping
Well, even a 98 bootable can do the trick. All you have to do is run the setup from the cd/hdd where you have your xp setup files from /i386/winnt.exe

To create a bootable Cd, please search the forum. If you need a one time solution, create a bootable cd along with the service packs, security updates using nLite. Everything can be found in the tutorials section!

OP
q3_abhi

q3_abhi

Youngling
I entered the recovery console, typed fixboot and fixmbr, restarted my PC n i got an error message "NTDRL is missing press any key to restart".

Wat is to b done???

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
U can do one thing!

Since its showing NTLDR is missing, so u can't boot into 98 too.

Boot ur system into DOS using 98 setup CD and give command:

sys C:

Restart the system and now u can again boot into windows 98.

Now Boot into Windows 98 and goto the DUMP folder of windows XP (where u copied the XP setup) and start the installation. ( Same can be done using XP CD)

It'll start installing and will show like 52 minutes remaining and after a few minutes it'll ask for rebooting.

Now the trick comes :D

Restart ur comp and VOILLA, it'll show the boot loader.

Now again boot into 98 and edit ur Boot.ini file and replace the entry of XP to:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

(if u hv XP installed on C:\ drive )

Also make it default!

KnightRider

Broken In
as per ur problems all i can say that you install windows xp again using win98 as the platform --- and it will be then installed in d:.. make sure u format d: before installing.(as u dont have abootable cd)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom