Next-gen iPhone spotted in the wild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
*www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/05/iphone-next-gen-fr.jpg​
Well here's an interesting one. French iPhone blog iPhon.fr got these pics from an anonymous and unverified source, and while there's no way of telling if the shots are legit, they certainly have a truthy ring to them. They follow what we know so far about the shape, size and color of the upcoming 3G iPhone, and while there's always the possibility of knockoff, a Photoshop job, or some other evil plot to mislead us, we're certainly not going to discount these shots entirely in the runup to iPhone's second coming.

Source

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, it doesn't, at least not as good as the current iPhone. Plus, the screen looks smaller. The last thing the iPhone needs is a smaller screen.

Maybe it will look better if photographed properly or actually seen in person.

In any case, I think it's just another baseless rumour. That looks like a Chinese knock-off to me.

1. There's no way someone untrustworthy enough to actually photograph and post the iPhone on the Internet is going to be trusted with an actual unit. No chance. The software department working on Apple products doesn't know what the hardware looks like and vice-versa. Do you really expect some random nobody to be able to lay their hands on it? No chance.

2. If this dude did have access to the second generation iPhone, wouldn't he have wanted to take a video of the interface being used, etc.?

3. The back seems to be plasticky. No Apple product uses that kind of material for the back. Apple always prefers to use (shiny) metals.

Think, guys, think. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
And it happens to be the most popular camera-phone on flickr right now, so clearly the camera is among one of the better ones out there. Even the 5MP cameras on the N95 don't exactly take print quality pictures, so what's the point of clicking huge 5MP pictures and wasting space?

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
^^ :lol: dude, goobi himself on his blog has more often than not said that the iphone cam is useless :lol:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
No, he hasn't. He said the pictures are not as good as they would've been had they been shot in better lighting conditions and/or with a proper digital camera.

No one disputes that.

The iPhone camera is very poor. But so are cameras on all phones. Among phones, however, it's one of the best ones around. It may not have Carl Zeiss optics or 5MP or some fancy autofocus stuff, but when it comes to taking pictures, it does a decent job, specially in well-lit conditions.

Just check out my Goa pictures. They're pretty good.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@aryayush
I agree that the current generation of camera phones(so to speak) can't compete with the an average(under 10 K) POS camera.But I disagree with ur statement that iphone is "one of the best" camera phones around.(Maybe the best 2 MP camera phone).Definitely the 2 MP would be enough for most users,but its picture quality under some conditions(as u said,except well lit conditions) is pathetic.Also very few options to customise and i do feel that autofocus makes a difference in certain situations(Flash is a v.good feature too).While it might be enough for most consumers I am not satisfied with its quality.In fact,a good camera is one of the features i would like to have on next iphone.

Really have doubts whether the phone in the pic is the real next-gen iphone.Would sure like to have a bigger screen.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just have one question......Why there is so much of fake fuss about iPhone??

Even though I like its interface, but just it is from Apple - the makers of iPod - people are making so much fuss about it.

No-one here posts about next generation {any SE or Nokia mobile} spotted in the wild as a news........:lol:

And yeah, Ayush:
I played with the iPhone of my father's friend for about an hour and did take a few pictures.....
And the camera is okay but not that great....Apple should improve its Post Processing.

And it happens to be the most popular camera-phone on flickr right now, so clearly the camera is among one of the better ones out there.
No way!!!

Though people may like to post pictures of their iPhone because those photographs have been taken through iPhone - the 1st & only phone manufactured by Apple......:lol:

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
But I disagree with ur statement that iphone is "one of the best" camera phones around.(Maybe the best 2 MP camera phone).Definitely the 2 MP would be enough for most users,but its picture quality under some conditions(as u said,except well lit conditions) is pathetic.
Again, the megapixels have nothing to do with the quality. Nothing at all.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. There maybe a lot of phones with cameras better than the iPhone's. My point is that the camera on the iPhone is pretty good too, one of the best around.

Also very few options to customise
Correction: No options to customise. None at all.

That is what I love most about it. There's just one button. You click on it and it takes a decent picture. That's it. I love it.

i do feel that autofocus makes a difference in certain situations
Yes, it does.

Flash is a v.good feature too
For a camera, yes. For a phone, not quite. The thinness of the phone and better battery life are much more important than the presence of a flash, in my humble opinion.

In fact,a good camera is one of the features i would like to have on next iphone.
I don't care either way. Even if the iPhone's camera was crappy and useless, I wouldn't have cared.

Why there is so much of fake fuss about iPhone??

Even though I like its interface, but just it is from Apple - the makers of iPod - people are making so much fuss about it.

No-one here posts about next generation {any SE or Nokia mobile} spotted in the wild as a news........:lol:
Exactly, because no one cares. You've answered your own question. Apple's products, and not just the iPhone, are hyped and talked about because people have high expectations and are excited about the prospects of their products, and the products deliver. Sure, there will always be the cribbers who'll focus on what the products don't have, but the buyers get 100% satisfaction from their purchase and they start waiting for the next upgrade.

iPhone is the most hyped phone out there because it is the best consumer gadget on Earth right now. It deserves all this adulation.

No way!!!

Though people may like to post pictures of their iPhone because those photographs have been taken through iPhone - the 1st & only phone manufactured by Apple......:lol:
Glass is half empty. Either way, the fact remains that the iPhone is the most popular camera-phone on flickr right now. It might not be the best one, but it certainly is no slouch either.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Glass is half empty. Either way, the fact remains that the iPhone is the most popular camera-phone on flickr right now. It might not be the best one, but it certainly is no slouch either.

k850 or n95/n82 has a million pics on flickr more than the iphone..and yea..the iphone cam is crap..thats y i wont part with my SE once i get one.. :D

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Glass is half empty.
Nope, its half full.....:D

Correction: No options to customise. None at all.

That is what I love most about it. There's just one button. You click on it and it takes a decent picture. That's it. I love it.
In other phones too we have to just press one button and they take a decent picture. If we want to customise, only then customise otherwise not.:D
And we love both the ways.....:D

Last edited:
@aryayush : u appear smart enough to understand that u make no sense when u keep saying the SAME thing over and over again .

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
No chance. The software department working on Apple products doesn't know what the hardware looks like and vice-versa.

How can you possibly know this? It sounds totally impossible to me.

Software Engineer #1: How big is the screen again? I need to know if this App is going to be easy to use.
Software Engineer #2: Beats me.
Software Engineer #1: Meh.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
They don't know what the hardware looks like, but they do get to use prototypes and know all the specifications. When the iPod was being developed, the software engineers would test the software on large shoeboxes with all the circuitry inside and the screen stuck on it.

That's the level of secrecy that goes on at Apple, which is why rumours are almost always false. Only the extremely top brass at Apple knows all the details about upcoming products—people like Phil Schiller, Jonathan Ive and a chosen few of their level.

Trust me, I've read a lot about Apple and their culture and about Steve Jobs. If anyone on this forum is in any position to know about this stuff, it's me. :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
LOL!

Read this story. Just search for "shoebox" on that page and read that paragraph. It turns out that they did more than just disguise it as a shoebox. :p
In order to avoid industrial espionage, Ive only let people outside the iPod and design teams see the iPod in a shoebox-sized enclosure to prevent any spies from seeing the innovative form factor before it was released. To add to the confusion, the scrollwheel and play controls were moved around the box with each revision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom