[ News Flash ] Netscape is Back, Reborn!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[deXter]

Journeyman
BetaNews reports that Netscape has been revived with Firefox backing. 'Despite media reports and industry pundits over the years relegating Netscape to Internet history books, AOL has restarted the browser's development. The company plans to bring back a refreshed Netscape browser based on Firefox.'

Continue here.

:!:

If you guys havent been around back then, heres how Netscape descended:

In short:

Mozilla (Internal name) -> Netscape -> Mozilla (Open Source) -> Firefox -> Netscape (new) !

In long:

WorldWideWeb (Program; renamed Nexus, 1990)
|
ViolaWWW
|
NCSA Mosaic (Inspired by Viola)
|
End of Mosaic -> Most of the codebase -> MS Internet Explorer
|
Mosaic Communications Set Up -> Internal Codename "Mozilla" -> Netscape born -> Netscape 1,2,3,4 -> Mozilla (Open Source, based on N4)

Mozilla (Open source) -> Netscape (6,7) | Firefox | & other Gecko browsers
Firefox -> Netscape (new)!

8)

Note: This in no way will affect Firefox, FF will continue as usual, but now it looks like Netscape's back in the Browser Wars! :)

G

gxsaurav

whats the use, they have lost it

I don't think there is any use of using netscape now

djmykey

Let the music play.....
Yo gx always give it a try. I wanna see how it looks like and first of all its supposed to be fast. If it uses ff then I suppose it will be fast. I dont think theres any harm in trying it out. Anyways thanks dexy for the info.

tuxfan

Technomancer
Life comes around a circle :) I got on to firefox from Netscape and now may go back to netscape from firefox :D Lets see how it shapes up. [deXter], when is Digit giving it on the CD/DVD? :)

Hope I don't take a very big circle and go back to IE :shock: ;)

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
[deXter said:
] FirefoxIE 1.0
Dexy whats that FirefoxIE you are offering for download. Its huge 6 mb file compared to original forefox 4.8 Mb.... Please shade some light...!!!

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
gxsaurav said:
whats the use, they have lost it
I don't think there is any use of using netscape now
gxsaurav, you have to respect history... its how we are here... I started to know internet via Netscape .... Netscape Communicator has some personal value attached to it... I'd love to see my browser back into life.... you might love IE... but people older than you still have an attachment to netscape....

Back in those days we had only Netscape browsers that was bundled in most of the Unix systems.... or otherwise use Lynx....

OP
D

[deXter]

Journeyman
freshseasons, check this post!

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom