1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Newbie to Linux

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by bizzare_blue, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue New Member

Hii...I m new to linux n have installed kubuntu 5.10...Now I m facin various probs...Firstly I dont know how to login as root. I never set a password for root as was default option during installation. Secondly, I don't know how to install appz and play mp3's etc

I do know some basic commands which I learnt frm various guides n forums...but m not able to do much. Also, how can I configure my network settings as I want to use internet frm it. I m a SifyBB user...I read the articles givin description of installin n usin sify client...but I have configured the network as yet...plz help

2. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

You can't login as root though it is possible with a tweak riyaz has posted in the forums. But, it is not at all recommended. Please use
    Code:
    sudo [option]
    <your password>
    For installing apps and system administration read Ubuntu Guide.

3. borg

borg New Member

hmmm...there is no need to have a root password in kubuntu. Instead of logging in as root, you login as a regular user & whenever you need administrator priviledges, you just type

sudo command

Then it will ask for the password. you have to enter your user password. Its a little annoying if you moved from Fedora core, mandriva, etc. You will get used to it.

4. praka123

praka123 left this forum longback

if u want to have root login.try this:
    Code:
    [prakash@sputnik:~$ sudo passwd root
    give ur root passwd.that's it.now if u want to login in ubuntu as root user in gnome..
    Code:
    root@sputnik:~# gdmsetup
    browse into security tab...>allow root to login with GDM

now u can login in ubuntu as root.

5. OP
    OP
    bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue New Member

Thnx for helpin me wid the 'root user' thing....bt I m still not able to config the network...I read the unofficial ubuntu guide bt couldn't follow the steps....plz help...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.