Newbie to Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
Hii...I m new to linux n have installed kubuntu 5.10...Now I m facin various probs...Firstly I dont know how to login as root. I never set a password for root as was default option during installation. Secondly, I don't know how to install appz and play mp3's etc

I do know some basic commands which I learnt frm various guides n forums...but m not able to do much. Also, how can I configure my network settings as I want to use internet frm it. I m a SifyBB user...I read the articles givin description of installin n usin sify client...but I have configured the network as yet...plz help

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You can't login as root though it is possible with a tweak riyaz has posted in the forums. But, it is not at all recommended. Please use
Code:
sudo [option]
<your password>
For installing apps and system administration read Ubuntu Guide.

borg

In the zone
hmmm...there is no need to have a root password in kubuntu. Instead of logging in as root, you login as a regular user & whenever you need administrator priviledges, you just type

sudo command

Then it will ask for the password. you have to enter your user password. Its a little annoying if you moved from Fedora core, mandriva, etc. You will get used to it.

praka123

left this forum longback
if u want to have root login.try this:
Code:
[prakash@sputnik:~$ sudo passwd root
give ur root passwd.that's it.now if u want to login in ubuntu as root user in gnome..
Code:
root@sputnik:~# gdmsetup
browse into security tab...>allow root to login with GDM

now u can login in ubuntu as root.

OP
bizzare_blue

bizzare_blue

Journeyman
Thnx for helpin me wid the 'root user' thing....bt I m still not able to config the network...I read the unofficial ubuntu guide bt couldn't follow the steps....plz help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom