cyboincomp

Broken In
hello geeeks

after alot of frustration from XP i come to find peace in linux
i am a total newbie so plz guide me
i have refered to the other linux theads
i dont understan what is distro or live cd

i have read that b4 installing u can use linux from cd or such
i have got two dvds of digit with fedora core(4 iso images in the dvd)
and slackware with 2 isos and 3 files of flash cs communication

right now i have 98 on my system
and i want to use linux as dual boot

plz help me put my contributio to open source

and if anyone in mumbai is having these dvd/cds is ready to help

raval_manoj

Broken In
Linux

@cyboincomp

Linux Live CD mean you can try complete Linux before makeup your mind to install
particular distro. Normaly live CD contains office applications and many other useful
packages also in single Live CD. To do this you have to make change in your BIOS
settings - make First Boot Device - CD ROM --> put the Linux Live CD in drive --> save
BIOS changes and restart the system. You system will boot through CD ROM (Linux)
Try latest Knoppix 4 Live.

If you are new to Linux don't try to install it yourself like any stupid window installation.
Though not much hard to install, but involvs some important initial setps about file system
type of hard disk partition, which is different from window's FAT32 system
If anything goes wrong it'll messup your hard disk, so before making any move don't foget
to backup your valuable data.

Knoppix 4 Live is really good to try.

OP
C

cyboincomp

Broken In
where do i get these go abt the whole stuff
is one of the two installations(fedora core and slack ware) in the digit dvd having a live cd in them

raval_manoj

Broken In
cyboincomp said:
where do i get these go abt the whole stuff
is one of the two installations(fedora core and slack ware) in the digit dvd having a live cd in them

Knoppix 4 Live CD included with Nov or Dec IT mag, exact I don't remember.

But I've that CD. Add my yahoo msngr id in your list for further discuss.

Knoppix 4 Live is the best linux ver to test among other ver
After this if you want to install, go for Mandrake10.1 or SuSe10.1 KDE environment.

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
All mags provide linux distros..Get any magazine.Use a livecd first before installing..

See this also..
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296358#296358

OP
C

cyboincomp

Broken In
i dont mind my data but will render my hdd unuseable
if i do some panga
plz get me a detailed procedure
i kno its too much to ask but u see i trust digit and its members too help spread open source
do care to help me

praka123

left this forum longback
:( So you don want 2 install on hdd.OK.there is an alternate and thats live cd.first check bios for first boot device as cdrom drive and insert cd and reboot ...enter ...Linux..and if you have a cdrecorder drive ,then Puppy linux
is for you.it s around 60MB write from iso image into a blank cd-r using Nero "burn from image" or K3b and unselect "Finalize cd";now you can browse etc and U can store the same in the cd too!ie puppy will write and store the datas as in hdd!so around 600MB stoarge portable! read more here and d/l:
*www.goosee.com/puppy/

OP
C

cyboincomp

Broken In
already ordered one week ago
but u see too impatient to wait for there arrival
coz i heared sometimes it may take 3 months

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@Jguru : Tuxfan is one of the members of the forum. And yeah linux is pretty much available in all metroe and more AFAIK. There are many linux users groups in india.You can search on google if one exists in your city/town or atleast ur state.
@Cyboincomp: I do have a set of ubuntu cd's set they just arrived yesterday, around a month after I ordered them. If you need them do tell me.

adi87

Journeyman
Can ne1 here tell me whether ne1 magzine ( indian , available in the cities ) has given out SuSE 10???

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Its a sumwhat popular mag, check big newsstands and magazine keepers if unable to find at local depots... or ask a LUG

praka123

left this forum longback
go to that magazines web page and you can order previous issues against a DD

linuxforu.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom