New system under 20K

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
Guys I don't need a hi-fi system, but one decent enough not to get stuck while processing e-mails and documents. With respect to memory, a max of 512Megs of RAM and HDD of max 150GB through SATA preferably!

Basic needs are surfing, e-mails, word processing, music, pictures etc...

A CD-Writer, a monitor, keybrd, mouse and the usual.

A UPS, Printer n Speakers are not to be included in the budget.

THANX

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
under 20k... i think u can have a Athlon with Asus mobo... that will be around 8k ... and the rest will come in that price... i am not familiar with the prices so cannot give exact quotes

Tech Geek

Wise Old Owl
1 yr old config
may come in use
*www.techtree.com/India/Building_a_PC_for_around_20K_-_Version_0206/551-71280-556.html

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
AMD Athlon 3000+ 939- 3k(dun know correctly)
ASUS A8NVM-3.8k
2x256 DDR400-3k
160 GB seagate sata2-3k
cab+stoch PSU-1.3k
17"CRT-4.8k
MS KeyB+mice- 0.8k
DVD combo-1.2k
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
if u want ot bring down the price make that a 120 GB sata2, but the price diff is very less.

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
Prices below are from *deltapage.com/ (a Chennai store)

AMD 64-bit 3000+ - 3000
ASUS A8V-VM motherboard - 2850
512 MB DDR400 RAM - 2300
160 GB seagate sata - 3000
Sony Combo DVD+CD-Writer - 1350
cabinet+PSU - 1300
15" CRT - 4000
Logitech Keyboard+mice - 400

Total: 18200
Notes: My posted config is similar to Aravind_N20's but I have selected a few budget-conscious selections...
1. Motherboard with nVidia chipset offer better performance, but VIA chipset has decent performance at lower price.
2. 15" CRT is enough for general usage...
3. Logitech keyboards and mice are great performers and much cheaper than Microsoft.

Arun

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
the A8NVM has very gud IGP even performs better than X3000. Nd itll offer him decent gaming if any day he wish to game.

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
sakumar79 said:
Prices below are from *deltapage.com/ (a Chennai store)

AMD 64-bit 3000+ - 3000
ASUS A8V-VM motherboard - 2850
512 MB DDR400 RAM - 2300
160 GB seagate sata - 3000
Sony Combo DVD+CD-Writer - 1350
cabinet+PSU - 1300
15" CRT - 4000
Logitech Keyboard+mice - 400

Total: 18200
Notes: My posted config is similar to Aravind_N20's but I have selected a few budget-conscious selections...
1. Motherboard with nVidia chipset offer better performance, but VIA chipset has decent performance at lower price.
2. 15" CRT is enough for general usage...
3. Logitech keyboards and mice are great performers and much cheaper than Microsoft.

Arun

Well Thanks for the quotation! Will go along these lines mostly! This system is for Paternal usage and not for me so it doesnt have to be anything gr8 cause I dont think they'd want to play Doom or anything of that sort!
Thanks guys!

You guys have mostly suggested AMD based mboards. What about Intel? Which do you think can handle stress better?

ajayashish

Living to Succeed
i am using the same machine Arvind wrote... it works great... just difference is i have a 1gb ram

sakumar79

Technomancer
On higher end systems, without doubt Intel gives you better performance compared to AMD systems... However, for low and even lower middle end systems, AMD systems give better performance-to-price ratio with their Athlon and Sempron processors....

Actually, for your system you can even cut down cost by using AMD Sempron 2800+ (754 socket) and ASUS K8V-MX motherboard combination which will cost about 4400 together cutting down cost by about 1500... If you do only simple word-processing/spreadsheets/presentations and email, etc, it should be fine... When you want music and videos, etc... this might slightly be sluggish...

Arun

S

sariq

nothing will be sluggish, last time i saw a sluggish system was Pentium 233MHz MMX with 32MB RAM :)

these days even the lowest configuration available will not be sluggish in music/ video. i am using Celeron 1.5GHz, and it doesnt feel slow in day to day work. only one application which i feel it to be slow is "video convertor" which i rarely use. i dont play 3D games. rest all application works fine, while playing video/ music or working in office applications, there is not any difference between P4 and celeron.

PS: just keep RAM >256MB

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
sariq said:
nothing will be sluggish, last time i saw a sluggish system was Pentium 233MHz MMX with 32MB RAM :)

these days even the lowest configuration available will not be sluggish in music/ video. i am using Celeron 1.5GHz, and it doesnt feel slow in day to day work. only one application which i feel it to be slow is "video convertor" which i rarely use. i dont play 3D games. rest all application works fine, while playing video/ music or working in office applications, there is not any difference between P4 and celeron.

PS: just keep RAM >256MB

OK then I'm set on the AMD thing! Now all I have to check up on is if d dealer of mine is ready to assure me service for the AMD!
Thanx guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom