New PC for Vista !!! Help req.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsenthil

Broken In
Hello All,

I am planning to upgrade my system.I would basically be using the system for surfing , audio / video applications and a bit of gaming.

I want a system , which will be able to use Vista to it's maximum glory.

Have thought about the following config below....Plz , give me ur suggestions on the same....

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600.
Intel DG965SS mobo.
1 GB RAM.
200 GB HDD.
Samsung 19 inches wide screen.

Will the onboard graphics card in Intel DG965SS mobo be good enough for Vista ?

I was told that the Samsung 19 inch lcd supports dvi input. Does this mean , I can download and watch HD video on my comp ?

Will the above config be future proof atleast for the near future ?

I was planning not to buy a graphics card to cut down the cost as I am not a hardcore gamer.
However , Plz be free to suggest any diff mobo , which has a better onboard graphics and more features.

It would also be great , if someone could give a rough estimate of the above config.

My current Config -
P4 - 1.5 GHz
200GB HDD.
512 MB Ram.
32 MB AGP Card.

Cheers,
Senthil G

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
IF you want to use Aero, then you need to have a graphics card.
And if you will state your budget people can help you in choosing a balanced config.

OP
G

gsenthil

Broken In
tech_your_future said:
And if you will state your budget people can help you in choosing a balanced config.

Budget is not a major issue , but I wanted to have the best possible config for my req (i.e running Vista). If the onboard graphics is not gud enough for Aero , Plz suggest any entry level graphics card for the Aero featue.

Third Eye

gooby pls
If you want decent graphic card then go for nvidia 6600GT or 6800GT or if you are hardcore game+wanna running vista smoothly then for nvidia 7900GTX.

OP
G

gsenthil

Broken In
tech_your_future said:

I just ran windows vista upgrade advisor in my friends Pc. He does not have a dedicated graphics card.He is using the onboard video memory present in the Motherboard. i.e Intel 82945G (128mb).

The upgrade advisor says "Your current graphics adapter will support the Windows Aero™ user interface"

Could u please clarify ?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Well even if it supports and Aero is enabled, then what about performance? Do you think it will be good? I doubt any onboard card can give good performance with any 3D desktop available in the market.

Third Eye

gooby pls
Onboard chipset can run vista but it doesn't give good performance as graphic can do_Onboard doesn't have pixels so you can't enable aero glass effect.

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
7600gt
c2d e6300 is good enough...or you can wait for quad core processors, twice the performance, but many times the money...

G

gxsaurav

CPU = More the adequate, if u wanna save some money, get a Core 2 duo E6400

RAM is good, get 2X512MB DDR2

Motherboard is fine, the intel GMA X3000 onboard graphics provides performance on par with a Geforce FX 5700 non ultra with full hardware Pixel & vertex shader, & even full DirectX 10 compatibility in hardware, later on with a driver update. This GMA X3000 is is specifically made to run Vista AERO UI with full performance, although the system RAM sharing will leave u with less RAM for your own tasks

Windows Vista requirs a garphics card with 128 MB RAM for resolution upto 1600X1200, above that, it needs 256 MB Video RAM, the onbaord GMA X3000 can share upto 256 MB RAM, when u have 1 GB System RAM, so...a seperate graphics card is always prefered anyway, however the onboard solution on this motherboard is good enough to run Vista at full quality

hard disk & monitor, as u wish..but a SATA 2 HD is preferd due to obvious advancement in performance

OP
G

gsenthil

Broken In
Hi Guys ,

Thanks a ton for these replies...... It really helps me make a wise decision......

I think , I will go with the onboard memory for the time being.... lets see , how it goes..... I shall then, if not satisfied with the performance, go in for a dedicated graphics card later (I guess,Direct X 10 cards should be out by then)

Is there a lot of diff in performance between E6400 and E6600 ( I am aware that the cache memory is 4mb in E6600 and 2mb in E6400). Is the Price diff justified ?

Any inputs abt the LCD Monitor ? Is the samsung 19 inch widescreen gud enough to play HD video?

Cheers,
Senthil

OP
G

gsenthil

Broken In
samsung 740bw - HD capabilities ?

Has anyone played High definition videos in samsung 740bw ?
How is the performance ?
Is the picture quality comparable to HDTV's available in the market ?

G

gxsaurav

high defination videos will play, however u need a monitor with a high resolution to play them, else they will interpolate to low size

a video of 720X480 HD, is what plays fine in 17", above it is HD video of 1280X720 also knows as 720p, so, if u have 1024X768 resolution, it will down scale anyway

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
You have chosen a useless rig so far. Anyway, let me make some changes, I am assuming that Vista is your priority with everything secondary.

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 (if you want to overclock), else E6300
Mobo depending upon budget

2 X 1GB DDR2 667 or faster RAM

Seagate SATA II NCQ 7200.10 250GB - 3800

A 17" TFT monitor will do, a larger monitor means a higher native resolution or a bad quality image at the same resolution, so if you want to play your games at 1280x1024, they will look better on a 17" then they would on a 19". And even to play your games at 1280x1024 you need atleast a 7900GT class graphic card or 7600GT graphic card for average quality settings.

A 7600GS will do for Vista as long as you are not into very serious gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom