New Internet Explorer Exploit

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveenchandran

In the zone
Introduction

Hai Nam Luke has discovered a vulnerability in Internet Explorer, which can be exploited by malicious people to conduct phishing attacks.

Please use the test below, to see an example of how this vulnerability can be exploited, and also to determine whether or not your browser is vulnerable.

Test Case / Demonstration

The test will try to open Google.com in a new window after a few seconds it will display content controlled by Secunia (or the attacker/phisher).

For the test check out HERE

Result
You are vulnerable, if a new window is opened and content from Secunia is displayed while the address bar still says "*www.google.com/".

You are not vulnerable to this particular exploit, if you do not experience the above behaviour.

Credits
The test is based on Proof of Concept code by Hai Nam Luke.

Sources:
*secunia.com/Internet_Explorer_Address_Bar_Spoofing_Vulnerability_Test/
*www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=450204

Internet Explorer is the worst ever designed browser in the history of computing :roll:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Hoooo my explorer has it. BTW i use opera for browsing and stuff.But the problem is my brother!! he uses IE :(

Netjunkie

In the zone
IE7 with the so called 'Anti Phishing' Filters built into the browser is also Vulnerable to this. :shock:
Its better MS reacts before Phishing websites go on a rampage.

S

saiaspire

Non-Vulnearable

My IE worked fine. It passed the test!

Vyasram

The pWnster
next time, ms sd give a separete update tool rather than fixing it with ie. coz itz the only time i use ie

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer released. this fixes the above exploit. more info

zdnetindia

Microsoft patch page

eddie

El mooooo
it_waaznt_me said:
Maxthon passed the test easily .. :| ..
Isn't wonderful how a plugin to IE...written by very few developers can fix things but MS with its army can not?

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Hey Eddie its not a plugin, its a complete browser in itself. It only uses IE's rendering engine .. anyways its always better than IE .. IE is ewwww ..

eddie

El mooooo
@it_waaznt_me: I don't think Maxthon is a "browser" in itself and I am not alone.
*www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120763,pg,12,00.asp

it_waaznt_me

Coming back to life ..
Lol .. .Now I aint gonna run into semantics, but certainly its not a plugin . .. You can however call it a shell though ..

And btw .. It supports Gecko engine too, but I find it way to buggy so never use it ..

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
There r a whole lot of browsers running on the IE engine, only difference is that they have tabbing support, which is anyways incorporated into IE 7.
But ever since i found Firefox and the support (extension) of IE tabs in it.....i forgot i had a browser named IE :lol:

prachi_saxena

Right off the assembly line
hey mine browser passed the test
it displayed secunia.com on the bar also n opened that page only
i hope it passes it well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom