NEW HDD but wich one to buy ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys i wanna buy a new HDD of 160 GB capacity and preferably Seagate so plz tell me wat all shud i look for...

Previously i had a SAMSUNG 40 GB HDD PATA and it gave way after 3 yrs of UNRELIABLE PERFORMANCE..(yup we all knw tat SAMSUNG HDDs are a piece of B*LL S**T)

Neways help me guys to decide wat HDD of Seagate shud i go for and wat are the s/wares or Cds (if any ) tat i will be getting with it.
My mobo is an INTEL D865 GBF (and it supports SATA too) I hv WIN XP as my OS with 256 MB DDR(266) SD RAM.

EARLY REPLY NEEDED till 5th Dec,2005) Please guys help... :)
Cheers n e-peace...

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
well u can go for seagate 200 gb, dont rem the rates now... wen i bought HDD from alsun system, Nehru Place i didnt get the software, just the hdd in a plastic covr

puja399

In the zone
I have using seagate HDDs since last several years without any trouble. So, I recommeng Seagate. Since u say dat ur mobo supports SATA, u shld get SATA HDD as they give much better performance and less clutter inside the case due to thin cable. The price diff between 160 & 200 GB is not much (below 1K, I guess), so I suggest 200GB SATA Seagate. In case u get that, pls remember 2 handle the drive carefully during physical install, the chips on the board (in fact, one of them, they call it CLI chip) is vulnurable, and if u break it, it will void warranty (It happened actually in my case).

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
i suggest putting ur money on Maxtor diamondmax 10 -- 300 gb

cost = Rs 8000

gives u the lowest cost per gb ratio

with the hifi features!!!

busyanuj

In the zone
get a Seagate Serial-ATA hdd.

capacity of hdd depends on your cost considerations and storage needs.

jack// ani

In the zone
Hi all,
What is price 120GB Seagate PATA drive,motherboard don't have sata port.....another question, are those new motherboard comming in the market still having a port for PATA drives??

TechGuru#1

In the zone
I basically wanted2 go for a 250-300 GB HDD from Hitachi OR western digital OR Maxtor,since they r the current Performance King,........but,in my PLACE,no distrib for the above so i have only 2 settle for SEAGATE or samsung.....& even more, My dealer doesnot want 2 deal in HDD above 200GB...............so i'm basically locked 2 SEAGATE 200GB HDD at Maximum.

So,Now
1) should i go for the 1 200GB Harddisk or 2 160 =320 GB Harddisk of Seagate?

2) Does the 160 GB Seagate HDD performs well?

3) what will be the Price difference i have 2 pay 2 purchase 2 160GB HDD instead of 1 200GB HDD?

If any1 hav the above answers,Please do HELP ASAP!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey thanx Shwetanshu, puja399 and busyanju for ur replies:) I got a new Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160 GB HDD for Rs.4600/-

Jus one querry that wen even the HDD performs any action (like Opening a file in MS OFFICE or if any programs are starting up) there is a SLIGHT hissing and tic-tic type of a noise..So is this a normal condition or is there a serious problem ?? :? (the Noises are really low)...

For all the other guys...

The Seagate HDD prices vary SLIGHTY from one Distributor to another(because they also take their sum amount of profit). The current (approximate) prices of SEAGATE HDDs as on 6th Dec,2005 from Mumbai as follows:

1) 120 GB PATA HDD=Rs.3275 (+ 4% tax)

2) 160 GB PATA HDD=Rs.3650 (+ 4% tax)

3) 120 GB SATA HDD=Rs.3850 (+ 4% tax)

4) 160 GB SATA HDD=Rs.4300 (+ 4% tax)

All HDD's from Seagate come with a 5-YEAR WARRANTY.

Cheers n e-peace

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
with the 7200.7 hearing the noises is perfectly normal if ur case is open but not if u can hear them even with the case closed.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
teknoPhobia wrote:
with the 7200.7 hearing the noises is perfectly normal if ur case is open but not if u can hear them even with the case closed.
Well as far as i can feel the sounds are preety normal and low and does not occur continuously for a long period..But any how.. is ther any thing tat i shud be worried about?? :? :?

Cheers n e-peace...

nitish_mythology

OSS Enthusiast!
160-200GB

I just wanna know what will u do with an hdd of 160GB.I still have a 20GB hard disk. Looks as if u r passionate abt movies or games!!!!

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
Re: 160-200GB

nitish_mythology said:
I just wanna know what will u do with an hdd of 160GB.I still have a 20GB hard disk. Looks as if u r passionate abt movies or games!!!!
i have 200 GB and its full, planning to get 400gb wen it becomes easily available

janitha

Wise Old Owl
ashu888ashu888 said:
teknoPhobia wrote:
Well as far as i can feel the sounds are preety normal and low and does not occur continuously for a long period..But any how.. is ther any thing tat i shud be worried about?? :? :?

Cheers n e-peace...

My new 80 GB Hitachi SATA II HDD also makes clicking noise when it reads or writes and the noise is continous when things like defragmentation is going on. What about others using such disks? Also in such cases, is the possibility of developing bad sectors and other problems high?

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
well noise frm a HD is quite normal

if u r so concerned install a HardDisk monitoring utility like HDDlife
and check !!!

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
janitha wrote:
My new 80 GB Hitachi SATA II HDD also makes clicking noise when it reads or writes and the noise is continous when things like defragmentation is going on. What about others using such disks?
Well yes the same thing happens to my Seagate 160 GB SATA HDD too... ALso this happens (the slight noise) while my PC is being scanned using any antivirus or any antispyware scans..So is it normal ???? :? :?

Cheers n e-peace....

hsksattish

Broken In
Most disks make some amount of noise while operating.Noise produced by a disk while operating is a serious consideration while evaluating the disk.
Disk from western digital run with comparitively less noise.

However the noise does not affect the performance of the drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom