new custom kernel problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

mailbinoy

Right off the assembly line
this is my first post. i am running mandriva 10.1 official and its highly tweaked.
i recompiled the 2.6.11 kernel to use my cell as a modem(bluetooth and usb cable) and mount my memory card. I am now able to get both to work pretty good. some problems though

kernel has ACM (Abstaract Control Mdem) support enabled . so that i can use my cell as a modem. I connect it using a datacable. it works great, but when the datacable loosens or a call is recieved, and the connection between the pc and cell is disconnected. Linux just hangs. the keyboard, mouse nothing responds and i have to manually restart. :?

Whenever i install any software from source (tar.gz) i get the error that x includes and qt headers and libraries cannot be found.
mandrake 10.1 official does not come with qt and x includes(lib-xorg-devel). i have upated my urpmi databases and installed the x includes cause it was a relatively small package (10 mb). Qt and its dependencies is 64 MB. i cant go about installing them using a dial up. any other solutions or specific packages that will fix my problem ??

i am able to booth my custom kernel without initrd but i need initrd for the bootsplash. i tried using
mkinitrd /boot/initrd-mycustomkernel 2.6.11.1mycustomkernel
the image is created but when i boot using it it does not work. any sugussions???

sorry to be so compicated in my first post. but these are problems i am unable to solve and have been bugging me for a few weeks now.
anything really appreciated.

ujjwal

Padawan
Qt should surely be provided by the mandrake installation cd's itself. If you had installed KDE (K Desktop Environment), then it should have been installed automatically. Else you can note down the dependencies, search the CD's for the packages, and install them on your own.

Else you can either use non-qt based applications, or you can use the static-qt binaries of them, which are compiled with the required libraries inbuilt into the software, and hence don't require qt. Opera, for example, is one qt based application which provides static builds.

And for the init ramdisk, after creating the ramdisk, you have to add its entry to your bootloader. The steps vary for LILO, GRUB and other bootloaders, but check their man page or search the internet for info :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom