Status
Not open for further replies.

ketanbodas

Journeyman
Try CCleaner. It is nice to keep your comp clean
new version is there at *www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ Just released todaya this new version.

Third Eye

gooby pls
ketanbodas said:
Try CCleaner. It is nice to keep your comp clean
new version is there at *www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/ Just released todaya this new version.

CCleaner is great !

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Don't know whay but when I used this new version and cleared the crap from the comp, system tray icons, like net connection icon, USB drives icon are not showing in system tray :(

All other icons r displayed, like avast! icon, spybot S&D icon, ZA icon, etc. But when I connect net, no icon is displayed in system tray. Same happens when I attach my Pen Drive, no icon is displayed in system tray! I didnt install ne other s/w after installing this new version....

Third Eye

gooby pls
Vishal Gupta said:
Don't know whay but when I used this new version and cleared the crap from the comp, system tray icons, like net connection icon, USB drives icon are not showing in system tray :(

All other icons r displayed, like avast! icon, spybot S&D icon, ZA icon, etc. But when I connect net, no icon is displayed in system tray. Same happens when I attach my Pen Drive, no icon is displayed in system tray! I didnt install ne other s/w after installing this new version....

Uncheck all the Advanced option in CCleaner.

aadipa

Padawan
May be they all go in 'Always hide' mode. Just change back to 'Always show' or 'Hide when Inactive'

anandk

Distinguished Member
yes it is the 'tray notification' issue. this feature was there in earlier versions of ccleaner too. if ur 'scripting host' is active ccleaner (or ace utilities too) clears this tray stuff. deactivating scripting host will mean that ccleaner will not be able to clear this mess. else in future just uncheck this option in ccleaner.

check this thread too *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19196&highlight=tray+notification

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
^^
I know these options "How to clear those past items from tray", but the problem is now CCleaner has cleared these items and the problem has been started, now how can I get back my Net connection icon ( 2little computers in system tray) and the Remove hardware icon (when u insert USB drive) ?

I hv done all the things, which I know, like

1.) I hv deleted both IconStreams and PastIconsStream keys.
2.) I hv also checked values of EnableAutoTray in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

is set to 0.

3.) The value of NoTrayItemsDisplay in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer is also set to 0.

4.) I also tried to replace systray.exe file with the new one extracted from XP CD but no benefit :(

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
thnx for the link :)

But it was of no use, almost all the things I hv already checked.

This problem is strange & unique, not all system tray icons disabled. avast!, Spybot S&D, Zone Alarm, Winamp, etc. icons r showing but net connection and remove hardware icons r not showing!

I hv tried to replace following files also:

explorer.exe
stobject.dll
netshell.dll
syssetup.dll
hotplug.dll
systray.exe

with the extracted files from XP CD, but no benefit!

I'm now very frustrated wth I installed this sw/ :(

n.regmi

Broken In
@Vishal
Same thing happened to me when i installed previous version of ccleaner, the network connection icon disappeared.So i formatted & reinstalled the window xp lol.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
FINALLY!!!! I got it working :D

Phew..... I tried so many methods, so many tricks, which I never tried in past :(

And finally I found the reason behind it. When I was doing some R&D in registry for finding the reason, an Idea came in my mind. I tried to enable the option "Show Volume icon in system tray" in mmsys.cpl. For my wonder, it didnt work. When I enabled the option, no volume icon was displayed in system tray. After that I tried to open Powercfg.cpl file to enable Hibernate, and the applet didnt open. When I typed powercfg.cpl in RUN, nothing happened. Now I was very near to my solution :D

What I did, I opened the DUMP of my XP setup and searched for the files having pow in their name and I found 4 files and when I checked in my system32 folder, there were only 3 and the file powrprof.dll was missing, thats it!

I just copied the required file and rebooted the pc, and after restart the problem was solved! all icons started showing again :D

Thats a huge BUG which I found in windows as well as CCleaner! How can a missing file cause other icons to be missing in system tray? and how can CCleaner delete that file? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom