NetworkNetwork...

Status
Not open for further replies.

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Broken In
well... guys i need 2 kinda form a network at my home...
i have an EPBAX sys. just like that intercom stuff in offices...
i have 2 sys. each wid a modem...
so... can i form a network?

digen

Youngling
No dude you will need 2 LAN cards[one in each pc] ,crossover cable & 2 RJ45 jacks.
Btw which Operating systems you got running?

OP
F

F.R.I.E.N.D.S

Broken In
win98se on both...
i just want file sharin... i don't want those network facilities 2...

or just a software 2 perform this 4 me will do...

tuxfan

Technomancer
You DON'T need LAN cards if both the machines already have a modem and they are connected through PABX system.

In Win98SE go to Start > Programs > Accessories > Communication > HyperTerminal. If it is not installed, you will have to install it from Add/Remove programs. This is one of the built in Win98SE application.

Here it will let you connect 2 machines via modem and telephone lines. One of the machine will have to dial and the other one will have to wait for call. You will then have to dial the extension number of the machine that is waiting. They both should be able to communicate with each other.

Try it out, it should work. I think even I will try this in my home and office setup. F.R.I.E.N.D.S., I must say that you are quite innovative :) I never thought of this. This is something new but surely sounds very logical and must work.

But this will work only if you want to transfer files. You can't share other resources like CD-Writers or Printers. You will have to actually transfer files to the machine having those stuff. Also keep in mind that there may be dropped connections and file transfer is likely to be slow.

digen

Youngling
Yeah if you may call the hyperterminal way of connecting a "network" then its is not necessary to be connected through a EPABX system.I think it can be carried out with only a modem under each remote host.
You can do that even when the two nodes are remote.

As tuxfan pointed out the disconnections,slow transfers,inability to share printers & other resources.You are better off with having a proper network anyways.Just my two cents.

tuxfan

Technomancer
digen verma said:
Yeah if you may call the hyperterminal way of connecting a "network" then its is not necessary to be connected through a EPABX system.I think it can be carried out with only a modem under each remote host.
You can do that even when the two nodes are remote.

What do you mean when you say not necessary to be connected? I mean how would one connect with just plain modems without dialing somewhere? Throw some more light on this please.

digen

Youngling
I've never said that to make hyperterminal to work you dont need to dial.What I meant was you dont need a EPABX system installed in your premises as in a general case.The original poster has a EPABX system installed is a different story.

tuxfan

Technomancer
digen verma said:
I've never said that to make hyperterminal to work you dont need to dial.What I meant was you dont need a EPABX system installed in your premises as in a general case.The original poster has a EPABX system installed is a different story.

If not thru EPABX system, then do you mean to say that we use 2 telephones in the same house for the file transfer? :shock: That would be very expensive in the long run. LAN cards with a cross linked cable would be far cheaper in that case :)

digen

Youngling
If not thru EPABX system, then do you mean to say that we use 2 telephones in the same house for the file transfer?
Thats what I meant to generalize.But why are you considering it to be in the same house? In all of my posts above I've given a generalisedview.Hyperterminal can be used to connect to remote nodes.
Apart from being expensive do you think that it can be used only in the premises?& not to a remote computer?

tuxfan

Technomancer
digen verma said:
Thats what I meant to generalize.But why are you considering it to be in the same house? In all of my posts above I've given a generalisedview.Hyperterminal can be used to connect to remote nodes.
Apart from being expensive do you think that it can be used only in the premises?& not to a remote computer?

Lets cut this short here mate. No point in arguing/discussing. We are not on the same wavelength here :) The person who started this thread has got his answer. All the best to him and you and me :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom