networking two pcs

Status
Not open for further replies.

hariharan

Journeyman
Hi..

I have two pcs one a desktop and another a laptop. Both have ethernet cards installed in them.

The desktop has XP installed on it and the laptop has Vista home premium installed on it.

Now I need to transfer over 75GB of data from the desktop to the laptop. What is the best possible solution to do this. I searched and googled a bit but all i could muster was using a crossover cable( is it the one used to connect BSNL Modem to the ethernet card ??) to connect the tow pcs.

But now my question is will the networking work between XP and Vista. If not wat other possibility would you suggest? Anything other good suggestion. I have a BSNL modem also at home and that is connected to the desktop.

The hard disk i hv on the desktop is SATA - II and i dont think you can connect that in any way directly to the laptop.?

Help me out..

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
Dude the best way to network pc's is only by ethernet cross cable better do that only or the other way is with the help of a proxy server,do you know how to do using ethernet cable or should i post here the procedure ?

Proxy Server :

Press F1 and look for "sharing Internet Connection" for further reference

Install a proxy on your PC.

The best one is Wingate, unfortunately it's a commercial one.
also try a free proxy named privoxy (*www.privoxy.org/ ) simply you will have to read the documentation in order to put it listening on 192.168.1.1:8080 instead of localhost:80 and to ask him to cascade your PC main proxy.
Then, on your laptop, open Microsoft internet explorer, and tell him in the proxy settings that the proxy is 192.168.1.1:8080

OP
H

hariharan

Journeyman
Batistabomb said:
Dude the best way to network pc's is only by ethernet cross cable better do that only or the other way is with the help of a proxy server,do you know how to do using ethernet cable or should i post here the procedure ?

I would be glad if you could post the simpler procedure here.. I basically need help with the wiring stuff.. also the main issue here is between vista and xp compatibility with crossover cables..

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
First of all you have to configure both of your Ethernet adapters. The default settings is "use a DHCP server" and you have no DHCP server, so you will have to configure the second way, which is "assign a fixed IP address".

1) On your PC, click on Startup, Network, you will see your adapter, right-click and "properties", you will enter the IP address menu. Give a fixed address, and remember it, I suggest 192.168.1.1 and a netmask 255.255.255.0
2) On the laptop, enter the same Ethernet configuraiton menu, give a fixed address 192.168.1.2, netmask 255.255.255.0, and 192.168.1.1 as gateway. Give the nameserver your Internet provider gave you.

Then, connect the Internet cable between both computers. Then, the physical link is connected.
To verify that the Ethernet link works correctly,

- On the PC, open a Command Window (Start, Run, "cmd") and type "ping 192.168.1.2
the ping should be successful. If not, the cable is not correctly plugged or one of the 1) and 2) steps is false.

Then, on the PC, open Windows Explorer, right-click on the folder you want to share, and choose "share", that's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom